I bought the 1Password app for Mac and I want to create a password/account for my partner

5e84cc08
5e84cc08
Community Member

Can I create a vault/account (with its own unique password) for my partner using the same app and license? We use the same computer and have different user accounts on the computer. My goal is for her to have her own unique password that she uses to sign into 1Password and get her passwords and that it is linked to her dropbox account. I thought when I bought the license for 1Password Mac it said that it would work for other users on the computer. I do not want to use 1Password families. Do I have to buy another license for her for this to work? Thanks for the help.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:spouse

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @5e84cc08

If multiple users access the same 1Password instance on one device, they will always be able to see all Primary and secondary Vaults.

However, you can set up multiple users on your Mac. This not only solves your problem with 1Password, but would also allow each user to have their own email, browsing history etc. This would allow you the privacy / security that you are looking for.

You do not need to purchase extra copies of 1Password, your license allows you to install the app on as many computers or with as many user accounts that you use.

Hope this helps, but if you have any further questions regarding the safety of 1Password, ask away. Either I or the AgileBits staff will be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @5e84cc08 ,

Having separate user accounts on your Mac will ensure that your wife can set up 1Password as a new user and have her own database independent of yours. Our Quick Start Guide can help your wife set up 1Password and create her first vault.

As for your questions about licensing, please send an email in to support+licenses@agilebits.com with your full name and the email address that you used to purchase 1Password. We’ll be better able to help you once we take a look at your information. :)

This discussion has been closed.