WIFI Sync between a Mac, an Android, and a PC.

4wk_
4wk_
Community Member

Hi there,

I just learn that 1Password currently CAN'T be sync between multiples computers, despite of what I though I understand with tchatting with you guys on my January 20 thread ...
I'm really really disapointed, all is call into question.. All my world collapse.

I really need a solution, to share one 1Password vault between my desktop PC (windows), my Android, and my Mac Laptop.

So far, I used Wifi Sync and it works perfectly, but only between 2 devices.

Please please please guys, find me a workaround, don't make me regret purchasing this awesome app :angry: :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @4wk_

I'm sorry if there's been some confusion here, I'll be happy to help you sort this out!

I just learn that 1Password currently CAN'T be sync between multiples computers

This is only true for Wi-Fi Sync only, not in general. You still have not one but two ways to sync your data between all 4 platforms! :chuffed:

Option 1 is to use Dropbox to sync all your devices, you can take a look at how to do that here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox

Option 2 is to get a subscription to 1Password Families, you would only need to add your account and all your data would be immediately available with no extra effort! You can take a look at 1Password Families and everything it includes here: https://1password.com/families/

Please let us know what you think of these options and if you have any more questions or find any trouble setting up the one that you prefer just let us know! :chuffed:

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

Ho @Pilar , thank you for this quick reply.

Ok, so the WiFi sync has a limitation, I get it.
    I can't use Dropbox, for security issue : if I chose 1password - a local solution - thats in order to avoid online storage of my vault ;)

1) Could I use the WiFi sync between my Mac and my Android in one hand, and in the other hand use folder sync between my android and my PC ? Would it work ?

2) I did take a look on Families stuff, but that's not clear enought for me (meaning no offense). It seems that Families is an entire hosted service, right ? I don't want my vault online, as I said.

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi @4wk_ , I'm sorry that you have security issues regarding 1Password, however, if you have extremely sensitive data that is understandable.

You are correct that 1Password Families is also a hosted service.

A solution would be to initiate a file share on either computer or an NAS (including Time Capsule) – either would do the job. You could also run rsync from a cronjob, or use GoodSync, which has a neat GUI.
    Any of these sync options would sync folders between your Mac and PC, leaving you the option to choose which computer you would like to sync with your Android.

I hope that one of these solutions works for you.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Thanks for the answer, Rob!

To add to that, schedule the sync to run often, as it will minimize chances of conflicts.

Also to confirm, with Families accounts your vaults are stored online, though they are encrypted with a combination of your master password and a account key, both of which are never transmitted to our services, and AgileBits can not access your data. If you are interested in reading about the security of Families accounts, start here: https://1password.com/security/ - and click the link at the bottom to read the white paper - it explores, in technical detail, the mechanisms used to keep your data safe. But of course, we understand completely if you choose to keep your data confined to your local network.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

@rjh @ag_kevin

Thank you for your replies. I know how works the kinda 2FA on Families, and yes, in theory, even if someone hacked the agilebits server, my data remains safe. But hey, I'm working on a security IT company, so I really dont want your server to be compromised, even if it is hard to crack my datafile ;) that's why I left LastPass : every server get hacked, someday, every file could be compromised. Local network is safer, cause you have to be the SPECIFIC TARGET to the hacker to be concerned.

That being said, I will try the workaround you've described to me, but I don't feel confident. Cronjob is not as efficient as an automatic sync could be.

Last, but not least : now I have my Android with my vault, and a new PC with no vault at all. Please tell me how can I get back my data / vault in my PC, from my smartphone. How and where the 1P file are stored on the phone?

Cheers,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @4wk_,

I can understand your hesitance to use a cloud-based service. We will do all we can to help you get things working with your current set-up.

1) Could I use the WiFi sync between my Mac and my Android in one hand, and in the other hand use folder sync between my android and my PC ? Would it work ?

I just want to take a moment to clarify our sync options here. Wi-Fi sync was designed to work between one desktop computer and multiple mobile devices. Your desktop essentially acts as the server and sends the information out to the mobile clients. We do not recommend using a mobile device to move data from one desktop to another.

This is where Folder Sync comes in. Folder Sync allows 1Password to store a copy of your data file in any location on your hard drive that you determine. From there, you can use a third party sync solution (as has been suggested above) or a USB drive to move your data between your two desktops.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, we're always here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.