Just a small UX request

Options
Saphired
Saphired
Community Member

Hello,

I know you might be busy implementing big features and I appreciate every update I see popping up on the AppStore.
If you may have some spare time for the UI: when I go into some category, the table view first is blank and is then populated with the items. I know that 1P needs to load in the background, but it would feel nicer if for example there is a spinner and only when loading is done the segue is happening. As a user I expect content to be there as soon as a table appears. Or maybe the table content could be animated while being put into the table? I don't know.
I know it's a small detail and this is not meant as criticism, more like very high level, low priority, UI request

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Saphired

Thank you for taking some time to let us know what you would like to see in 1Password. What you mention about wanting some sort of animation while the items are loading is an interesting idea. I'm curious, how long does it take for the items to load on your phone? Which iOS version are you using? I'm curious to know if your experience is any different form mine, where it takes so little time than in my very personal point of view any animation would feel like cluttering :chuffed:

• Saphired
    Saphired
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar,

It takes easily 0.2s to 0.3s (estimated, not measured) so it is very noticeable and there is a good amount of time I see a blank table. I am using iOS 9.3.3 on a 6s. If loading the items would not be obvious in the UI you are right, an animation would slow down things. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Saphired,

Thanks for the reply! I’ve done a bit of testing here and I can see the same thing as you: it takes a fraction of a second for the items to populate into the list.

It is important to note that 1Password is doing some pretty powerful decrypting here to give you access to that list of items, but I certainly don’t blame you for wanting to see everything as soon as possible. I’ll pass your thoughts along to our development team. :)

• Saphired
    Saphired
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I absolutely understand that 1P needs to do it and I am glad that it does it; it is just about the visible transition (and as I said, this is far far away from breaking the great experience I have with 1P). Another observation I made: this also happens for categories that only have 1 item, so I guess it accesses the whole vault when reading categories? If so, maybe that time to populate the table is about how many items there are in the vault? Thank you for your quick replies and taking these thoughts into consideration :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2016
    Options

Indeed. We certainly appreciate the feedback. Hopefully we can make improvements here in the future. :)

Ben

ref: OPI-3630

This discussion has been closed.