former login password still shows along with new password when I go to enter it on the login site

rossjim
rossjim
Community Member

My digital newspaper changed my password because of earlier problems. It is saved in 1 Password, but when I go to the 1Password drop-down, it still shows the old and new, but it doesn't show when I go to the master list.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: desktop
Referrer: forum-search:old password login still shows along with new password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rossjim,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! To make sure I understand what you mean: It sounds like you open the website and click on the 1Password extension in your browser, and it suggests both the old Login item (with the old password) and the new Login item (with the new password) for that site. But when you launch the main 1Password app on your Mac, you can only find one of those Login items. Is that correct?

If so, we'll need to know a few more details about the problem and your setup, if you don't mind:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (Open the main app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    • Do you have more than one vault in 1Password? If so, which one are you viewing in the extension?
    • By any chance do you have more than one 1Password app installed on your Mac? (Try opening the Applications folder and looking for any 1Password apps there. If you find more than one, what are their exact names?)
    • Which Login item (new or old) appears in the main 1Password app, and which one doesn't?
    • If you select All Items in the left sidebar of the main app and sort the items by title, are you able to find the other Login?
    • If you type the name of the "missing" item in the Search field at the top of the main app, can you find it?

Thanks in advance! :)

• rossjim
    rossjim
    Community Member

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (Open the main app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar.)

• 1Password 6 for Mac

Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?

• Unsure, have had 1 Password for a long time, can't remember, but suspect I orignally got it off your AgileBits site.

What web browser are you using, and what version?

• Safari 9.1.1

What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?

• don't know how to find, but I update it every time I get an dupdate, so it should be current.

Do you have more than one vault in 1Password? If so, which one are you viewing in the extension?
    By any chance do you have more than one 1Password app installed on your Mac? (Try opening the Applications folder and looking for any 1Password apps there. If you find more than one, what are their exact names?)
    Which Login item (new or old) appears in the main 1Password app, and which one doesn't?
    If you select All Items in the left sidebar of the main app and sort the items by title, are you able to find the other Login?
    If you type the name of the "missing" item in the Search field at the top of the main app, can you find it?

• rossjim
    rossjim
    Community Member

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (Open the main app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar.)

1Password 6 for Mac
    Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?

_ Unsure, have had 1 Password for a long time, can't remember, but suspect I orignally got it off your AgileBits site.
    What web browser are you using, and what version?

Safari 9.1.1

What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?

• don't know how to find, but I update it every time I get an dupdate, so it should be current. I checked Safari extensions, but nothing shows as info for 1 Password

Do you have more than one vault in 1Password? If so, which one are you viewing in the extension?

• only one

By any chance do you have more than one 1Password app installed on your Mac? (Try opening the Applications folder and looking for any 1Password apps there. If you find more than one, what are their exact names?)

• Yes I do! I have one labeled 1Password 6.app dated March 1, 2016, and another showing as 1Password.app dated Thursday, June 9, at 7:03 am, last opened July 11, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Which Login item (new or old) appears in the main 1Password app, and which one doesn't?

• the new one shows. The old one doesn't
    • If you select All Items in the left sidebar of the main app and sort the items by title, are you able to find the other Login?

• No. Only the new one.

If you type the name of the "missing" item in the Search field at the top of the main app, can you find it?

• only the new one
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @rossjim! I think this is the cause of the problem:

I have one labeled 1Password 6.app dated March 1, 2016, and another showing as 1Password.app dated Thursday, June 9, at 7:03 am, last opened July 11, 2016 at 2:37 pm

The one named 1Password 6.app is the AgileBits Store version, and the one named 1Password.app is the Mac App Store version. Each one can have different data, so it sounds like the Safari extension is connecting to the one that has both new and old Login items, and you're opening the one that only has the new Login item.

Try opening each of the 1Password apps - does one have all your latest data? (If so, which one?) Or does each one have some data the other one is missing?

• rossjim
    rossjim
    Community Member

The 1 Password had only the current. 1Password 6 had both, so I deleted the wrong one. Now I only have the new, correct one.

Problem solved?

• rossjim
    rossjim
    Community Member

Sorry, I deleted the wrong entry, not the app.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rossjim,

Thanks for confirming that was the problem!

Deleting the extra/old Login item won't actually solve the overall problem, which is that you have two different 1Password apps on your Mac, and changes made to one aren't reflected in the other. Even if they both look like they have identical data right now, you'll likely run into more confusion the next time you make changes.

For example, let's say you create an account on a new website and 1Password offers to save a new Login. That new Login will show up in the extension, and in one of the 1Password apps on your Mac, but not the other one. Or if you make a change to your data in the main 1Password app, but it's not the app the browser extension is connecting to, that change won't appear when you use the extension in Safari.

What you'll want to do is continue using one of the 1Password apps, and remove the other one from your Mac. But before you do that, you'll want to make sure all your latest data is showing up in the app you decide to keep. When you open the 1Password apps and compare the data in each one, do they both have all the same (and latest) data? If it helps, you can sort the list of items by date modified, and that will show you the most recent changes you've made.

This discussion has been closed.