Smart Folder for One-Time Passwords

grettir
grettir
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

I'm trying to create a smart folder that displays all accounts that have a one-time password assigned to them. There's an old forum post from February 2015 that explains how to do just that, but the solution ("Any field name is One-Time Password") doesn't appear to work anymore.

Ideally, Smart Folders would have a "One-Time Password is present," option, but without that, is there any way to achieve this without resorting to manually adding a "2FA" tag (or something along those lines) to each item that has a one-time password.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vee
    vee
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hey @grettir,

Because one-time passwords are always added as custom fields, it depends on what you typed (if anything) into the "label" field next to your OTP secret because "any field name" only looks at field labels. So if that's not working for you, it's only because you didn't label those fields One-Time Password. I'd suggest you look up a Login that you know has a one-time password and see what that field is labeled. I use totp as my label because that's the acronym I know to mean "time-based one-time passwords," (why isn't it TBOTP, or TOP? I'll never know), so the detail view of one of my Logins looks like this:

Thus, my smart folder parameters could be:

But you can write anything in a custom label field, so for example, if you label all your one-time passwords "squirches", then you could make a smart folder for any field name contains "squirch".

However! If you're inconsistent about labeling those fields (hey, you're only human), you might be better off setting those parameters to any value contains "otpauth" because all OTP secrets (I think?) begin with "otpauth://" so those parameters may be more likely to catch 'em all (like Pokémon).

I think the 1Password team is probably working on an easier way to quickly identify items containing OTPs, but for now, I think this should help. :+1:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @grettir,

Please let me know if you have any questions after reading Vee’s response. Did her post get things solved for you?

• grettir
    grettir
    Community Member

If the only solution to this problem was to require users (or groups of users, in the case of Teams/Families) to adhere to a strict metadata hygiene regimen involving the consistent naming/labelling/tagging of arbitrary data fields, I was going to suggest that they probably didn't deserve to be called "Smart" Folders.

But _@vee's second suggestion is exactly what I was looking for_ since it doesn't rely on user-generated data at all, but keys off of an inherent property that is unique to the type of data I'm looking for. So…

Any value begins with otpauth://

Thank you so much, @vee!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! On behalf of @vee, you're very welcome. I'm glad her second suggestion was so helpful for you!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.