Moving folders of items to a different vault

lee_kai
lee_kai
Community Member

Specifically, I was using 1Password on the Mac, and my work signed up for 1Password for Teams. Of course I can move my local items to the new Team vaults, which I did. And now on my local Primary vault there are empty folders, and on the Team Personal vault there are items with no folders. Losing this organization is disappointing. I'll have to recreate folders.

Perhaps selecting item(s) and "move" should say "One or more of these items are in folder(s). Place them in folders of the same name in the destination vault?"

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move folders among vaults

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lee_kai,

I apologize for the confusion! 1Password Teams and 1Password Families accounts don’t make use of a folder structure for organization. You’ll want to start looking into tags for organizing your data instead.

Now, as a girl who loves her organization, I understand that having to redo this is a bit frustrating, but I think that you’ll find that tags are a pretty awesome way to keep things sorted. One of the big benefits of tags is that you can add as many as you want to a single item. So you’re no longer restricted to “this item lives in only this folder” - it opens up a lot of possibilities!

I know it’s not quite the answer you were looking for, but I do hope it helps!

• lee_kai
    lee_kai
    Community Member

@Megan
    Thanks for the reply! So a perfect example would be to ask the user if they want to convert folders to tags for these items being moved. They provide the same logical structuring and the user is already familiar with the names of their folders. There is no reason to lose this organization.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lee_kai

I'm sorry this has been frustrating for you, thank you for your input and for letting us know what you would like to see in 1Password. This is an interesting idea, and we'll keep it in mind for the future :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.