New password created on mac populated a different password on phone!

romebot
romebot
Community Member

I changed a password for a website on my mac using the generate password/fill feature, and then went to my iphone to update the login there. I found out that the password stored in the 1password phone app, although also a new password from before, was different than the mac password! I didn't understand why I couldn't log in on the phone until I realized the passwords were different. I tried syncing a few times, but they remained different no matter what I did. Finally I had to text myself the mac generated password to my phone and manually change it. This is a disturbing occurrence because now I fear this might have happened before and I wont know until i need to log in somewhere on my phone and will be stuck if not near my mac, or that it may happen in the future. I do not want to have to double check every login I set up or change on my mac to be sure. It seems strange/impossible that the computer and phone have two newly generated different passwords recorded, but then also after syncing they remain different - how can this be? Any ideas what this is?

p.s. not sure if it's related (prob. not) but often when I try to autofill a login somewhere on my mac using 1password chrome/safari extension, i get an error for wrong password. I have to manually copy the password and paste it in the password field for it to work.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: os x 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:new password created on mac populated a different password on phone

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romebot,

Sorry to hear the password for a Login item on your iPhone doesn't match the one on your Mac! I'm sure we can help to get things sorted out here.

I can definitely see how it seems like your iPhone somehow generated a different password separately from your Mac. However, 1Password (on any platform) cannot randomly change passwords in your items without you telling it to do so. Instead, I my guess is that the sync didn't work for some reason, so your iPhone is still showing the previous password.

To check that, open the main 1Password app on your Mac and find that Login item. If you see a Resume Editing button at the bottom of the item details, it sounds like you haven't saved the changes - you'll need to click that button and then click Save. On the other hand, if you see an Edit button at the bottom as expected, just check the main password field in the item (if passwords are concealed, hold the option key on your keyboard to temporarily see that password). Compare that to the password for that Login item on your iPhone. Are they different?

If so, click the "show previously used passwords" button near the bottom of that item's details on your Mac. If necessary, hold the option key on your keyboard again to see the previously used password(s) in that list. Do any of those previous passwords match the one on your iPhone?

In case the problem is that the sync isn't working, you can also try creating a new test item (Secure Note, Login, etc) on your Mac, and then create a different new test item on your iPhone. Does either item sync from one to the other?

Please let us know how it all goes and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• romebot
    romebot
    Community Member

hello. I get the edit button, not resume editing, and the show previously used passwords shows me the only other password I ever had for that account. what's strange is that the iphone suddenly had a different password (unless one say I changed it there and forgot), but still seems they should update each other. I see that any new item does from mac does not go to phone, and vice versa. I went to the sync setting on the mac, and seems it's not connected to dropbox anymore, not sure why... when I go to connect however, I am afraid to merge because the date on the file is not from today even though I did sync w/ my phone successfully just now. how can i be sure this is the correct file? should it have today's date? and how can it have become disconnected from dropbox to begin with? best, R

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romebot,

Thanks for trying that - it sounds like this is indeed a sync problem. Before doing anything else, you should make a new backup of your 1Password data (that way, you can restore from that backup if anything goes wrong). On your Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup. On your iPhone, you can create a backup file and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

how can i be sure this is the correct file? should it have today's date?

The sync file in Dropbox is actually a package / bundled folder which is made up of hundreds of smaller files. The modified date for the sync file doesn't necessarily reflect changes made to the contents inside the package, so you don't need to worry about that.

To make sure you choose the correct file in Dropbox when re-enabling sync on your Mac, you can check which file 1Password syncs with on your iPhone:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is Dropbox, then tap 'Sync Service' and check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

On your Mac, you can re-enable sync with Dropbox again, making sure to choose that exact same file in the exact same location in Dropbox. When you merge, it will compare the 1Password data on your Mac with the 1Password data in Dropbox. If you've made changes on your Mac, those changes will be copied to Dropbox (and then to your iPhone). If you've made changes on your iPhone (which should be in Dropbox), those changes will be copied to your Mac. If 1Password can't determine which copy of an item has the newer information, it saves the conflicting info in a 'Conflict' field in that item to ensure you don't lose anything (you can simply edit the item to keep the right data and remove the wrong/old data).

and how can it have become disconnected from dropbox to begin with?

I'm afraid I don't know for sure. That sort of thing shouldn't happen very often, if at all. When/if it does, you should see a notification on your Mac to let you know. It sounds like you may not have seen that notification, or somehow it didn't appear in the first place, but there's no way to know for sure. Fortunately, like I said, it's not something that should happen often or at all. You might want to keep an eye on it for a little while just to make sure the sync is working correctly, and if it stops working or the sync settings become disabled, we'll be happy to take a further look into it.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• romebot
    romebot
    Community Member

that worked, thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romebot,

I’m so glad to hear that Drew’s instructions got you all sorted out!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.