Teams, Families, Subscriptions, Stand Alone Apps, Version Changes, Multiple Companies

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

I own multiple companies (an insurance agency and a podcast), have a family, use an outsourced bookkeeper, and a personal assistant.
I think I own a Families account and a Team Account(s), but I need some help getting set up with 10 new team members going to 25 in one year and 50-60 within 5 years and the version changes, upgrades, revenue model changes and new teams software leave me in need of some assistance.

DETAILS:

I love your app. I love what it does. I recommend it all the time to people. 1Password for Teams is awesome from what I can tell and I am trying to take advantage of the Pro pricing discount as I will have fairly sizable teams such that the discount is meaningful over 5 years.

But I am confused. I used 1Password since 2010 v2. Then came numerous updates, some cost extra, others not. Then I bought some from you guys and some from the ITunes store. That caused some issues. Then I upgraded. Then I needed an account for windows for my wife's computer. Then I bought 1PWD for Families. Was that version six or five? Was it PC or Mac? All I know is you guys have been great. From software to sales to service. But now I am a little confused. Perhaps you can help an evangelist and long-term customer expand his relationship further with your awesome software and team. Let me explain what I think happened and what I want.

I think I purchased through the ITunes store at some point in the past and wanted to go from an individual license (or two) to families. I think you guys gave me some help and it looks like I bought 1PWD for families around v4 or so. But now I think you are on a subscription model. In the past I bought apps for my iphone, ipad, mac, etc. However, I cannot tell what I have, what I need and how to move forward.

I have these devices:

1) MacBook Pro (mine)
2) Ipad Air2 (mine)
3) Iphone 6 (mine)
4) Surface Pro 4 (mine)
5) MacBook Pro (wife's)
6) Windows laptop (wife's)
7) Iphone 6s (wife's)

I think I bought standalone apps across the board. I also think I have a families account, but the look of my personal account never seemed to change.

I need a personal account for me.
I need an account I share with my wife.
My wife needs a separate account.
I need an account I share with my personal assistant.
I need an account for my folks.
I need an account for my estate attorney.

I own two operating companies. Let's call them insurance agency and podcast. They are each in stand alone, multi-member LLCs.

Thus I also need a Team account for the podcast (me, my co-host, virtual staff members, bookkeeper, video editor, etc.).

My big need however is for the insurance firm. I am rolling out 1Pwd for Teams to the whole firm. We have 6 people today. 9-12 people in early Q4. 20 by mid-2017 and 50 by 2021. (We launch in Q4, but staff are joining now). My IT guy starts next month, but I want to get started now as I see the password problems expanding already with the insurance firm.

Do I need two Team accounts and a family account? I want the companies to pay separately as there are different ownership structures. I am on-boarding a personal assistant next month. Is he a part of my family account? My team account?

When I click an extension button in any browser how will that work? Will my family account and both company accounts be separate logins? Will my synch method change?

I read as much as I could and watched several videos. I would be willing to pay for some 1 on 1 support if possible, but I thought I would air this out in the forum for other serial entrepreneurs with families who like your new Teams product.

If it sounds garbled it is. I think i could explain things much better on a phone call.

Let me know what to do to take advantage of the discounted pricing before it expires and BUY MORE STUFF from you guys!

You are my FAVORITE and most used app.

Thanks all!

1Password Version: 6.3 (630032)
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5 & Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox (now)

Comments

• privateinvestor
    privateinvestor
    Community Member

Also, are the desktop, ipad and iphone apps I bought standalone now defunct? Do I have families on a grandfathered, stand-alone basis or do I need to start paying monthly.

Haha...tell me how much to pay to who for what service and I am ready to move forward.

• Hey @privateinvestor! Thanks for all the background. :) That gives me a pretty good idea of what you need. Let's jump in.

But I am confused. I used 1Password since 2010 v2. Then came numerous updates, some cost extra, others not. Then I bought some from you guys and some from the ITunes store. That caused some issues. Then I upgraded. Then I needed an account for windows for my wife's computer. Then I bought 1PWD for Families. Was that version six or five? Was it PC or Mac? All I know is you guys have been great. From software to sales to service. But now I am a little confused. Perhaps you can help an evangelist and long-term customer expand his relationship further with your awesome software and team. Let me explain what I think happened and what I want.

I'm not quite sure which version you purchased back then because I didn't find any licenses under the email address you used to sign up on this forum. If you used a different one, let's take the conversation to email so we can look for your license. Get in touch with us at support@1password.com and we'd be happy to help with that. Alternatively, you did mention that you may have purchased through iTunes. We don't have purchase information from the App Store, but you can always download the apps again from there. In the Mac App Store for example:

1. Launch the Mac App Store and sign in with the Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password
    2. Switch to the Purchases tab
    3. Click the Install button beside 1Password

I think I bought standalone apps across the board. I also think I have a families account, but the look of my personal account never seemed to change.

It does sound like you got either a license or copy of the apps on several platforms previously. You have a team account under the email address you used for your forum account, but I didn't find a family one. That may be under a different email, or you may have just signed up for a team account instead of a family. I can help you convert it if you'd like.

It looks like you've created accounts for each of your companies since you have two team accounts, but you may need a family account for the other matters you mentioned.

Do I need two Team accounts and a family account? I want the companies to pay separately as there are different ownership structures. I am on-boarding a personal assistant next month. Is he a part of my family account? My team account?

I'd recommend using two, just because they are separate companies. If you only plan to have a few members you can use one team with some vaults inside it to manage things. Your personal assistant would best fit in a team account.

When I click an extension button in any browser how will that work? Will my family account and both company accounts be separate logins? Will my synch method change?

You can access everything from the same place, actually. All you have to do is sign in to your account in the 1Password apps on whatever device you're using, then you can access whatever you have stored in the account on that device just as you did before you used Teams and Families. :) We have a nice guide to help you move existing 1Password data into your account:

Move your data to a family or team account

Also, are the desktop, ipad and iphone apps I bought standalone now defunct? Do I have families on a grandfathered, stand-alone basis or do I need to start paying monthly.

You can keep using them if you'd like. 1Password Families and 1Password Teams are subscriptions, so they just give you the latest features when they're ready. Licenses were a less desirable for some people because they had to pay to upgrade stuff. You can keep using your standalone apps if you'd like, but it does seem you'd benefit a bit from having a team and family to manage other stuff. They make sharing a lot easier, and you can manage it all in one place. You can also invite the extra people you mentioned and they will get 1Password with all the apps too.

I hope that helps for now! Talk to you soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.