1PasswordAnywhere emergency replacement strategy

Options
JohnnyLydon
JohnnyLydon
Community Member

OK, I've read about the 'death' of 1PasswordAnywhere. This was a feature I didn't know I had, and so didn't realise I needed it. But I think I would like it. Now that I know I had it but didn't use it.

1. (but not really the subject of my question). Is there a guide to running 1PasswordAnywhere on your own server? Step by step.
  2. The real question is this. Nightmare scenario - I'm in a foreign country. My laptop, smartphone and every other possession is stolen. I manage to beg a small amount of cash and make it to my country's embassy/an internet cafe. I need access to my passwords, now. Ideas?

I've just tried the 'outputting everything as a CSV' routine. It worked. So one solution I imagine is this. I take that CSV and encrypt it (how?). I then place it in a password protected internet place. Maybe my own website (security by obscurity - nobody knows who I am or that I have a website). I access that website, download the file, decrypt it (how?) and print it out. At least I can get going again.

Feasible?

I like 1Password, especially the company. But I'd like web access to my passwords, especially in a hurry/emergency.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options

Currently AgileBits recommend moving to 1PW for Families, their subscription service. At some point there may be a rather cheaper subscription service for individuals, but I don't know if/when. Do you have plans for foreign travel?

Also AgileBits reckon that the security of 1PW Anywhere is too weak nowadays (part of the reason it is no longer part of the program) and do not recommend it. Partly because of that and partly because there can be many different web servers, they don't provide a guide to setting it up yourself, they just say that it can be done.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnnyLydon,

I hope that Danco’s answer has helped. He’s right, at this time, a 1Password account is the way to get web access to your data. We currently have 1Password accounts designed for families and teams and are looking into ways to make these accounts as awesome as possible for all our users. If you’re interested, you can sign up for a free 30 day trial to test it out.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

• pafarago
    pafarago
    Community Member
    Options

1passwordanywhere is working for me on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Note that the script launches chrome not firefox.

1pass.desktop: (unity launcher)

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=1Password
    Comment=1Password Anywhere Script
    Exec=/home/peter/bin/1pass
    Icon=/home/peter/Pictures/agile.png
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application

1pass: (bash script)

!/bin/bash

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --args --allow-file-access-from-files ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html

• pafarago
    pafarago
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Here is what it looks like

iP.png 105.8K
  • fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Alternative to 1PasswordAnywhere for vacation or business travel access to passwords if 1Password devices are lost or stolen:

Open main 1Password program, select All Items at the top of the left hand column, then select File Print. Type in master password when requested, select Save as PDF from local Print window. Go to Security Options when Save As window opens and select "Require password to open document". Enter a strong password and save the resulting AES 256-bit encrypted PDF document. Carry encrypted PDF file on a thumb drive when on vacation or business travel.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle

Thank you for sharing with the us the alternative that you've found. It's always great to hear how you all like to use 1Password and what works for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.