1password turned off dropbox sync in my Mac

Options
ericsh
ericsh
Community Member

Hi, I have two vaults. My primary vault is configured to sync with Dropbox. My second vault is meant only for this Mac and has sync disabled. I noticed this morning that a password I updated on my iPad yesterday didn't sync with my Mac, and when I checked my 1Password preferences on the Mac, found the sync option for my primary vault set to None! I have never changed that setting so was quite shocked to see this.

I was able to re-enable Dropbox Sync and everything seems to have merged fine. But it's quite disconcerting that this occurred. I have no idea how long I was running with Syncing turned off. Has anyone else reported anything like this? Is it a known issue?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password turned off dropbox sync in my Mac

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ericsh,

Thanks for writing in about this! I don't believe this is a known issue, and there are actually legitimate reasons why something like that might happen. For example, if you restore 1Password for Mac from one of its backup files, the sync settings will be disabled. Or if something stops 1Password for Mac from finding the .agilekeychain or .opvault sync file in Dropbox (for example, the sync file is deleted or moved to another location, the local Dropbox folder is moved, etc) that can also disable the sync settings. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, although those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Normally, if something causes the sync settings to become disabled, a notification from 1Password should appear on your Mac to let you know (although there are some exceptions, such as if you restore from a 1Password backup). I'm not sure why you wouldn't have received a notification like that, but if this was just a one-time occurrence, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Of course, you might want to keep an eye on that for a bit just to make sure it keeps working correctly.

If for some reason the problem happens again and you don't get a notification about it, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a closer look into that. Cheers! :)

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I did not restore from a 1password backup. Nor did I lose access to my local dropbox files. As you say, I will keep an eye out for a repeat occurrence and let you know if it happens again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! We're always happy to help, so just let us know if it happens again. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.