1P mini not working in Chrome anymore

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

Over the last few days, the 1P mini app no longer works at all in Chrome. I have checked with Firefox, and it still works there.

"Not work" = when you click on a login in 1P, nothing is filled in. No message appear. "Nothing" happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

1P version: 6.3.1
    Mini version: 4.5.8.90
    OS X 10.11.6
    Sync type Dropbox

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

I'm sorry to hear the 1Password extension in Chrome isn't working!

If the 1Password extension in Firefox is working, then at least we know the problem is specific to Chrome - that helps narrow things down a bit. Please quit Chrome and then start it again to make sure any pending updates have installed. Does that make any difference?

If not, please open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Once it restarts, go back to Chrome and click on the 1Password extension icon in Chrome's toolbar - does it work this time? If it's still a problem, please also reboot your Mac to see if that helps.

Now, if those suggestions don't help at all, we'll need to know some more details about the problem and your setup:

• What exact version of Chrome are you using? (Go to Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menu bar to find the version.)
    • Do you see the 1Password extension icon in the Chrome toolbar?
    • What do you see when you click the 1Password extension icon in Chrome?
    • Is the problem happening on one specific website, or on all websites you've tried?
    • What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill your login credentials?
    • What happens if you click on the URL field of a Login item in the main 1Password app?
    • What happens if you open a website by choosing a Login item from the 1Password extension in Chrome?
    • What happens if you go to a website first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?
    • When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in your Chrome's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

Thanks in advance! :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I had already restarted Chrome several times.
    2. Restarted 1P mini, as suggested. No help. Next will reboot Mac, and report back after that.
  • jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. After reboot Mac, still does not work.

Information you requested:
    1. Chrome 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit) (same problem on this version and previous version)
    2. Yes, icon is there.
    3. When click icon, see expected widget (Search at top, some matching websites, Favorites, etc.)
    4. On various websites, but not all. I do notice that Chrome is attempting to autofill with the yellow background input fields. Does not matter if I leave that, or clear it. This is new behavior. Chrome did not do this before on these login fields.
    5. The normal steps: (1) click on a bookmark to go to a website; click "Login", click on 1P extension; click on desired login.
    6. Clicking on "Open and Fill" for the URL in the main app: website is loaded, but nothing is filled.
    7. Clicking on "Open and Fill" for the URL in extension: website is loaded, but nothing is filled.
    8. When go to website first, then choose matching: that is what I described above in #5 "normal steps". However, the other way of just picking the website from mini does not work either.
    9. Normally I click the 1P icon, not the cmd=. I have used the cmd-\ in the past, but it stopped working long ago. That is, clicking Cmd-\ has no effect on opening the extension. Seems I reported this long ago.

I should add that I have a number of tickets in the past asking about aspects of the extension. The reason is because Chrome used to allow password management. However, a couple of years ago they introduced bugs, which are widely discussed, preventing Chrome from properly storing passwords on a per subdomain basis. Specifically, we have sites like www.site.com and dev.site.com, which is our development site. Chrome mixes up how they are stored in a somewhat random way.

So passwords get stored for the wrong subdomain. I think the Chromium discussions have even indicated they will not fix this bug. So I switched to 1P extension as a slightly more complex workaround. Unfortunately 1Password has the problem of not opening a website that is already on a tab, so you have to go thru gyrations here also. Would be nice if the browser password management just worked, as it does in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I don't use 1P there for our subdomains because those browsers can store passwords for different subdomains.

The frustration is that a complex workaround using 1P for our many accounts on many subdomains is no longer working as of a couple of days ago. I would point out that it have probably been using 1P for this workaround for at least a couple of years now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @jasimon9!

4. On various websites, but not all.

If 1Password is able to fill sign-in forms on some sites but not others, please follow these steps to save a new Login item for a few of the sites where it isn't working. Do the new Login items work correctly?

If not, can you confirm that those new Login items work correctly in Firefox?

I do notice that Chrome is attempting to autofill with the yellow background input fields. Does not matter if I leave that, or clear it. This is new behavior. Chrome did not do this before on these login fields.

It sounds like Chrome's autofill feature is enabled. To make sure it isn't interfering with 1Password at all, please try disabling it: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/#chrome

Does that make a difference when you try to have 1Password fill your Logins?

5. The normal steps: (1) click on a bookmark to go to a website; click "Login", click on 1P extension; click on desired login.

Just so I'm clear: When you do that, nothing at all happens for certain Login items? But those same steps work correctly with other Login items? But they all work in Firefox?

9. Normally I click the 1P icon, not the cmd=. I have used the cmd-\ in the past, but it stopped working long ago. That is, clicking Cmd-\ has no effect on opening the extension. Seems I reported this long ago.

I don't know if this issue is related to the filling problem, but we're happy to help figure this out, too. If you go to the sign-in page of a website where the 1Password extension fills your username/password correctly, does the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut work? Or is the problem that the keyboard shortcut doesn't work for any of your Login items? If it doesn't work for any Login items, please open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > General. Is the option for "Fill Login on current web page" correctly set to ⌘\?

Would be nice if the browser password management just worked, as it does in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Microsoft ended support for the Mac version of Internet Explorer over 10 years ago, and it isn't supported by 1Password on a Mac. Are you perhaps referring to the Windows version of IE and 1Password? If so, have you tried the 1Password extension in Firefox on your Mac, or only on Windows?

Thanks!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I tried saving new logins. Does not help.
    2. New login does work in Firefox.
    3. Turned off "Enable Autofill to fill out forms with a single click". Does not help. Please note: this setting has been turned on for years and this problem with Chrome only starting occurring a few days ago.
    4. Yes you are clear in that "nothing at all happens for certain Login items. But those same steps work correctly with other Login items. But they all work in Firefox."
    5. A quick test of Cmd-\ on a page where 1P extension works shows the keystroke does not work there either.
    6. Keystroke is properly set.
    7. I am referring to the built in password management for IE in Windows, FF in Windows, FF in Mac. Don't need this "workaround" because the built-in function works there.

The irony is that I am using 1P in this context (logging in to various accounts on various subdomains of my companies website) as a workaround for a Chrome bug that is maybe 3 or 4 years old. But now it seems another potential Chrome bug (or possibly an unusual login mechanism on our website) is causing that 3-4-year-old workaround to no longer work too.

The thing is that the workaround has worked fine for these several years, until a few days ago. I am wondering if there is a way to revert to an older Chrome version as a means to verify whether this has been due to a change in Chrome. Our website login mechanism has not changed in 10 years.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

It appears you can get previous versions of Chrome at http://filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/history. I have not experimented with that yet. Once you load a previous version, it would seem that shortly thereafter, it would upgrade again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9: I doubt a previous version would help since this seems to be a problem specific to your setup; the 1Password extension seems to be working in Chrome for the rest of us. I'm sorry you're suffering from this odd issue! And you're right that Chrome would just update itself again.

Just to clarify, you're saying that the 1Password extension does not work in Chrome for you at all, or it doesn't work on certain sites? It sounds like it's the former, but I wanted to double check.

I wonder if it could be another Chrome extension or some "security" software which is only affecting Chrome. Try disabling them to see if that makes a difference. Besides machine-specific software or settings, I'm not sure there's another possible explanation for this.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Certain sites work fine. It is kind of irregular. In point 4 in one of the above posts I said:

1. On various websites, but not all. I do notice that Chrome is attempting to autofill with the yellow background input fields. Does not matter if I leave that, or clear it. This is new behavior. Chrome did not do this before on these login fields.

So it is weird. And only started a couple of days ago. Prior to that it worked fine. That's why I was thinking a Chrome change was made.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying, @jasimon9! It certainly does sound like a weird problem.

To help us figure out why the 1Password extension isn't working properly in Chrome, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, my hard disk failed and I have the machine at the Genius Bar for a replacement. It is possible, but not likely IMO that the hard drive issues could have been causing problems with 1P. In any case, until I get my machine back, I will not be in a position to pursue this at this time.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There is no hurry on our end. Whenever it is convenient for you, we can continue working to resolve things. Just email the Diagnostics Report when you get your Mac back, and we'll get right to work on it. :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I got my machine back a while ago. Today I noticed that the problem seems to be fixed. In Chrome 1P fills in the places where it would not.

My theory is that Chrome made some more changes, and whatever they broke, they have now fixed it.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, it is not the easiest to find previous threads. Is there a "view my topics" feature?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9: Good to know! Thanks for the update. And if you mean you want to view discussions you've created or commented in previously, you can click your forum username at the top to view your profile, and then click "Discussions" or "Comments" on the left to see them. Cheers! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

Is there a "view my topics" feature?

brenty already answered that and I thought you'd also like to know about adjusting Notification Preferences, like I posted about over in Lounge. Have fun! :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for pointer on how to find Discussions

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of brenty, you're welcome. :+1:

• spcphd
    spcphd
    Community Member
    Options

Please help! I am having the same trouble as CoderMay. The 1password extension for Chrome on OS X installs but crashes 1password mini and does not work in the browser. I am running OS X 10.11.6, Chrome 52.0.2743.116 (64-bit), and 1Password 6.3.2. 1Password mini is always running and boots at login. I've tried several times deleting Chrome and all extensions. I've reinstalled both. Still, when I seek to install the extension and click on the button in the browser, it crashes 1password and makes 1password mini hang. This is the screen I get. It is looking for 1password 4???

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

The comment from spcphd is a different problem than I was having in this discussion. But I did have that problem too quite a ways back. I believe there is discussion of it and a solution, which might involve making sure you only have one instance of 1P installed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @spcphd,

Indeed, it sounds like you're having a different kind of issue than the one jasimon9 reported. But I see that you also posted about this in another thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68569/trying-to-use-extension-causes-mini-to-crash

I just replied to that one, so we'll keep the conversation going in that other thread in order to avoid confusion. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.