When two websites are shown with a login, how do you control which one is used?

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

The program seems to choose the first one only. But the second one is the only one that works. Should I just remove the first one? What is the idea behind this feature?

Here is an example:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

1P 6.3.1
    mini 4.5.8.90
    OS X 10.11.6
    Sync dropbox

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

I think the 1PW program is designed to use the first url listed for navigation purposes when clicking on the login is the method used to open the page in a browser. If the address you have in the second position is the one you want to use for that purpose try placing it in the first position instead.

I think the reason for the additional addresses to be listed in the login item is so that the login can be used on those other pages. One of the security features of 1PW is that it will not let the user be fooled by inputing their login credentials into a page that isn't actually the location where the login was created - think spoof web pages created with malicious intent.

If the program has saved a web address you don't need you can delete it as you said. Sometimes the account creation page url is saved when I create a new login item; I don't need to go back there again because I have an account so I change the url saved for the address of site's main page or the login page depending on how the specific site functions.

I hope that helps you get better use from 1PW. If you still have questions about that feature there are lots of people with information to share here on the forum.
    Margeau

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9 ,

Margeau is right!

If you are signing in to a website by selecting the item from 1Password mini, 1Password will use the first web address listed in your Login item.

Should I just remove the first one?

If the website is no longer a valid place to sign in (and with this web address, I believe that is the case) then you can certainly remove it.

What is the idea behind this feature?

I think Margeau already explained it pretty well, so I’ll try not to reiterate what she’s said. But a good example here is Google. Do you use your Google sign in credentials on any other sites? For sites like that, you may want to add additional web addresses to your Login item. Then when you visit these sites in the future, 1Password will offer your Google Login as a potential to fill.

I hope this answers your questions, but if there’s anything else we can do, you know where to find us! :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that users might use passwords that way. Since that is a violation of basic security, I never do that. I mean, why bother with a password manager if you want to continue with unsafe behavior! For me a password manager provides the basic ability to have a different password in each case. You probably market it that way. Hence my 998 items in 1Password (including more than just logins of course).

Well, we know that people like to take insecure shortcuts, and I am not suggesting that you try to enforce best practices.

In my case, I seem to have multiple websites in the case where there is an obsolete URL, which changed and I did not pay any attention because "it just worked". But now it doesn't.

As in the example I have in the question above showing the prior and current URLs for this forum.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

I mean, why bother with a password manager if you want to continue with unsafe behavior! For me a password manager provides the basic ability to have a different password in each case.

I’m with you! I find it a lot simpler to use a unique password for each account and not worry about linking a bunch of accounts together.

In my case, I seem to have multiple websites in the case where there is an obsolete URL, which changed and I did not pay any attention because "it just worked". But now it doesn’t.

If you have obsolete URLs in some Login items, then you can certainly delete them to tidy things up. :)

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we’re here for you.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I am always in favor of tidying up.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9

I'm glad to hear that you like what Megan suggests, happy 1Password Summer cleaning! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.