I have a problem setting up my 1password on iPad, I have it on MacBook air..can somebody help me?

Options
jonatha
jonatha
Community Member

When I go to my iPad it is asking me 4 options ..."Create New Vault" "Sync with iCloud " "Sync with Dropbox" " Sync using WIFi"
I do not understand what I should do.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a problem setting up my 1password on my iPad, I have it on my MacBook air..can somebody help me?

Comments

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

I am sorry your set-up process has gotten stopped short. There are different procedures if you have a 1PW account or a stand alone (licensed) product; from you description it sounds more like you have a stand alone product. I think this guide will answer your questions and help get your iPad integrated with your MacBook: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/quick-start.html .

This article may be helpful in choosing which method of syncing is right for you: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ .

If you still have questions don't hesitate to write back. There are lots of helpful folks here to answer.
    Margeau

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting there but how do I get my history off my MacBook Air onto my iPad so I can unlock the items on my iPad...?
    Should the padlock sign appear?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

In order to sync your data to your iPad, you’ll need to have sync set up on your MacBook first. This article:

Sync your 1Password data

will guide you through the process of setting up iCloud or Dropbox sync on your Mac. Once your data is stored in the cloud, you can point your iOS device at the existing data.

I hope it helps, but if you have any questions about the instructions, please let us know!

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry Megan.......these instructions are beyond my knowledge base, can it be simpler please?

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

This is where the syncing comes into play. If you have an account you would simply see all of your 1PW data after you log in with the iPad, but if you have a stand alone product you bought through AgileBits or the iTunes store you will need to sync the devices to see all your data on both. You get to choose one of the methods of syncing based on personal preferences like cloud vs. local. That article about syncing options explains them pretty well I think. ( https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ )

I am not sure what you are referring to when you ask if the padlock should appear. You can launch the 1PW app on your iPad by touching the icon like all your other apps and from there you can use the 1PW browser to go to web sites associated with your login data by clicking the login item. There is also a cool feature that allows access to your logins from Safari. This is similar, but different than how you have been using the 1PW app on your laptop and it is accomplished through app information sharing. These articles explain better than I can how to establish that functionality: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/enable-extension.html and then how to use it: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/fill-items-safari.html .

In fact there are lots of great user tips to help you get all you can from the app on your iPad here: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/using-1password.html (like multi-tasking: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/using-multitasking.html) .

You are very close to gaining a lot more utility from all the work you have already done while using 1PW on your laptop -all that is left is to accomplish the sync of the two devices. Please let us know if you need a little more assistance to get to that goal.

Margeau

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

I'm sorry for any confusion about all this! If we understand, it sounds like you've been using 1Password on your Mac, are currently trying to set up 1Password on your iPad, and you're not sure which option to choose in order to sync the 1Password data from your Mac to your iPad. Does that describe what you're trying to do? If not, please let us know exactly what you need help with.

Or if my summary is correct, there are a few different options for syncing your 1Password data between your Mac and iPad. The knowledgebase article margeau and Megan each suggested should help to explain each of those options to you:

Sync your 1Password data

Have you taken a look at that article? If so, do you have any questions about it? We'll be happy to help you with that, but we'll just need to know what you don't understand or where you're getting stuck. I'm sure we can get this all sorted out for you! :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew, I am hoping that I will get your padlock sign on my iPad. Is padlock an english word that does not translate? It is your symbol.....yes? All I want to do is to get it to work on my iPad. But it does not appear.I have given up on all the other fantastic things 1 password is capable of, all I want is a password storage system across my macbook air and my i book. My macbook air works fine, but they are really not talking to each other. As I do not understand computer speak I can't help them...
    You'll see from my history that i am slowly learning, Megan has been very helpful in the past, but I don't think we have spoken in the past.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I can try and say this more clearly. I do not use or understand the likes of "DropBox" etc., It has taken me an awful long time to get this far. I will not give up. I refuse to carry around four pages of A4 with all my passwords on for my iPad I don't have to for my MacBook Air. So please does anyone know how to get your service on my iPad. SimpleSimple Simple....

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Well if you do know sadly is a quarter past midnight here in France so I am off to bed...But I will check in the morning, if I do not talk for a couple of days does this stay "live"?

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

I am sorry my contributions to this conversation haven't been more helpful to you. May I try again to say it differently?

If you are comfortable with synchronizing your 1Password account data on your laptop and iPad using iCloud I think this method could work for you. The article I am linking to includes clear steps to take and is illustrated with pictures of what you should see on your screen - always very helpful. https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/

As the instructions will guide you to do, you need to start the process on your laptop. The instructions continue near the bottom of the article for the process you need to follow on your iPad (click the "+" next to IOS).

Can you see the article after you click on my link and more important do the steps work for you?

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @jonatha,

I am sorry I just missed you. I didn't realize you are in France, but now that I know I will try to be more careful to use language that will translate better.

Margeau

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Margeau, change nothing I am back in the UK on Saturday........I shall have a ton at this over the w/e. May we talk Monday?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Correction should be 'have a go at this'................

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

Absolutely - Monday is great, but there are people who answer questions 24/7 so don't hesitate to ask while you are working on it. This thread will not disappear from the forum and we will be here to help.

Margeau

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @jonatha

I'm sorry this has been a complicated process for you, it can for sure be tricky to get set up! You can keep on posting on this thread and we'll be able to see it and you will always get an answer from us! Take your time to check things out and when you need anymore help just let us know.

If you would prefer screenshots, or the guide to be in French let me know and I'll be happy to do my best about it! I know we'll get you sorted out in soon! :chuffed:

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Still no joy.....really frustrating. I do find your system very difficult..

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Can you perhaps explain in my attempts to resolve my confusions i opened up "Meet your Secret Account Key" can you explain what it is and do I need it. All I am using 1P/W for is a password

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Is this stream now dead?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

Let’s take a step back here and re-assess where you’re at. We’ve been providing various links and articles that should help you through the process, and I’m no longer sure what stage we’re currently stuck on.

• You currently have 1Password installed on your Mac and it is working as you would like it to.
    • Your original question was about how to get the app on your iPad as well.
    • Step 1 in this process is ensuring that 1Password for Mac is syncing your 1Password data using Dropbox or iCloud so that 1Password for iOS can see the data.
    • QUESTION: were you able to set up sync in 1Password for Mac based on the support article that was shared?

As Pilar mentions, we have tried to make these guides simple to understand, but if you’re struggling with what you see in the article, please let us know where it stops making sense and we’ll try to describe it in a different way.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, i am going to have another try tonight..Step one is my problem I not sure how I proceed. "Syncing /Drop Box/ICloud so IOS can see" has no clear meaning to me. The individual words do, of course. Having got 1Password to sort of 75% work maybe in this case I should accept the status quo after tonight. Anyway I'll have a go.

I did not find the Support article clear. What do you mean by an account. Obviously nothing to do with purchases?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

Step one is my problem I not sure how I proceed. "Syncing /Drop Box/ICloud so IOS can see" has no clear meaning to me ... I did not find the Support article clear. What do you mean by an account. Obviously nothing to do with purchases?

There are currently two ways you can use 1Password:

Standalone licenses

• You purchase the 1Password apps and set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox and iCloud) to be able to use that data in the 1Password apps on your other devices.

a 1Password account

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription fee includes licenses for the 1Password apps across all platforms.
    • Sync is handled by 1Password, so your data will be available to you on any device after you sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app.

If you purchased a license for 1Password, our goal here is to set up sync using iCloud or Dropbox so that the data can be opened in 1Password for iOS. However, if you think that a 1Password account might be a better solution for you, we could look into that as well. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Account: I surely must have signed up for this. I could not have bought the Standalone License. So yes I want to set up using I cloud..(Drop box I don't know, and haven't I used it.) Can you help me get 1 Password on my iPad which is in sync with my mac book air?
    What is the "password account'' you mention at the end. Surely that is what I have, what else have I been working on for nearly a year?
    But in the end remember I only want the password ability on both machines. The rest of the things 1Password can do will remain a mystery and I accept that completely.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I just went back and checked on "how to sign onto 1Password" .....It talks about my Secret Account Key. Being somewhat numerically dyslexic I know I would have run a mile from using or storing it. There are just too many numbers and letters for me to attempt to copy. Here is maybe the problem as it says "You'll need it to sign into your account (what account?) from new devices or browsers". Not for me!.......So I think I completely ignored this Account key option. I do, of course, have the Master Password. I have a dreadful feeling however maybe I have burnt my boats.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

What is the "password account'' you mention at the end. Surely that is what I have, what else have I been working on for nearly a year?

Let’s not worry about the 1Password account right now. They were introduced relatively recently, so if you’ve been using 1Password for over a year, you likely don’t have an account.

So yes I want to set up using I cloud

Ok! Let’s get that done. There are instructions with some screenshots in our support article, but I’ll try to simplify things here.

1. Open 1Password on your Mac.
    2. Click on the 1Password menu and select Preferences
    3. Click on the Sync icon
    4. You’ll see a Sync vault with option, followed by a dropdown menu. Right now it likely says None
    5. Click on the dropdown menu and select iCloud

At this point, you may be prompted to sign in to your iCloud account. Do you already have an iCloud account set up? (If you’re using a Mac you probably do.)

1. Sign in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID
    2. A box will pop up and tell you that 1Password will create a copy of your vault in iCloud
    3. Click Start syncing and let 1Password do it’s thing.

Please let me know how this process goes. Once your Mac is all synced up, we can start on your iPad.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I have never needed to visit the 1password menu, where, please do I find it?..... Patience Megan, I'll get there but assume nothing. I have no ego as far as computers are concerned. The rest of the instructions look straightforward. Thank you for the clarity.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

The ‘1Password’ menu should be right at the top corner of your screen in the operating system’s menu bar. (Right next to the Apple icon.)

.jpg 270.9K
  • jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

No it is not, I would have seen it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

Are you looking at the 1Password app when you look for the menu?

The space next to the Apple icon will show the ‘active’ app. If you click on the 1Password app, you should see the appropriate menus for 1Password appear.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Got it !!!

Slow but there in the end. I had not loaded the 1PW Application so there was nothing on the bar. Assume nothing with me!.......

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

I’ll try to be more specific with my instructions in the future. :) Let me know if you have any more questions with the instructions posted or if we’re ready to move on to the next step!

This discussion has been closed.