Unable to open 1Password app, "unexpectedly quit" error message

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
edited July 2016 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password will not open. Can you help me with this?.

Comments

• nmatich
    nmatich
    Community Member
    Options

All of a sudden 1Password will not open from my dock or the DROPBOX app. The message is "The last time you opened 1Password 6, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows............... I can open it from the menu bar icon but not from any other app icon.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nmatich

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. Could you please tell us some more details about your configuration? What OS are you using and what version of 1Password? When exactly did you notice this problem for the first time? What exactly do you mean it won't open from the Dropbox app?

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get to the bottom of this :chuffed:

• nmatich
    nmatich
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Pilar,
    Iam using MAC version 10.11.6 I can not open 1 Password in order to give you the version. My phone version is 6.4.3. In my Dropbox I have 1Password.opvault, 1Password mini.app, 1Password 6.app, and 1Password.agilekeychain and I seem to have the same in iCloud. I had 1Password 6 in my applications folder on my hard drive which I dumped when I tried to solve this problem. I could not open it from my Dock, the icon at the top of the menu bar or by clicking on it in my dropbox.
    The problem occurred suddenly. Incidentally the iPhone 1Password keeps asking me to open the iMAC Password for a sync.
    Ned

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nmatich,

It sounds like the problem you're running into is different than the one from the previous discussion, so I've moved your messages to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

Thanks for the additional details. I think at least part of the problem is that you have copies of 1Password 6.app and 1Password mini.app in your Dropbox folder (and possibly in your iCloud Drive folder). The 1Password app needs to be in the main Applications folder on your Mac, as it can run into some problems if it's located elsewhere. Also, 1Password mini.app should not be listed separately from 1Password 6.app - mini is a component of 1Password which must remain in its original location inside the 1Password app bundle. Problems can also happen if the operating system finds multiple copies of the 1Password app on your Mac (although I don't know if that's the cause of the problem you're running into).

So, what you'll need to do first is remove all copies of the 1Password app (and 1Password mini.app, if that happens to be saved separately from the main app) from your Mac. Just drag each copy of the 1Password app to the Trash - and make sure you do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data along with the app. As long as you only delete copies of the app file, your data will be safe.

After doing that and emptying the Trash, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, download a fresh copy of 1Password. It sounds like you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, so you can get a new copy from our download site. Once the download completes, unzip the file if necessary, then move 1Password 6.app to the main Applications folder. Then when you double-click on it, does it open correctly?

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.