Notes missing after migration to version 4 and 6

HKrunner
HKrunner
Community Member

I have used 1Password for many years. I tried some time ago to migrate to version 4 but found that the notes I had entered (Telephone PINs, expiration dates. Security questions etc.) were not migrated. So I stayed with the old version but now it crashes consistently so I tried again. I deleted the latest version and reinstalled (v6.4.3) and tried to follow the migration steps but the expected message on the version 3 app never appears. So I manhalls imported a backup from my PC using WiFi. The Dropbox sync is not available because 1Password claims the Dropbox password is incorrect when it is correct.

After that import I can see all the entries from v 3 but once again the notes are missing which mates Version 6 useless. I am going to have to switch to an alternative product that works.

1Password Version: 3.7.2, 6.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.3.2
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:Notes missing on version 4

Comments

• HKrunner
    HKrunner
    Community Member

"Manually imported" and "makes Version 6"

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2016

Hi @HKrunner,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Sorry for the alarm. v3 has been retired for some time (since 2012), so my memory is a bit foggy. If I recall correctly though it did not have a true "notes" field on items. When importing data from v3 I believe any non-standard fields were imported into the "saved form details" area of items.

Please check there and see if that is where your notes are.

Thanks!

Ben

• HKrunner
    HKrunner
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion Ben. I have looked for the notes unsuccessfully before but just checked again. The only categories available are All Items, Logins, Secured Notes and Pro Categories that I haven't signed up for yet. But that doesn't list "Saved Form Details" either.

In Version 3 there is a section headed Notes and information recorded there is carried forward under Secured Notes in the new version. But the main All Fields section included any number of entries with free-form headers. So I have Expiration Date, ATM PIN, Statement Password etc. that disappear after the import. And running a multi-national business I have lots of bank accounts!

• Sorry for the confusion, @HKrunner. The "Saved Form Details" are on each individual item (e.x. your Amazon login item). It isn't a separate category of its own, but rather a part of each item. If you bring up a Login item and scroll to the bottom you should see the Saved Form Details section there. I believe you'll find any notes you left on items (or any entries in the "all fields" section) there.

Thanks!

Ben

• HKrunner
    HKrunner
    Community Member

Thanks Ben,

I am not seeing that category under individual items either. For example for one of the bank accounts, there are two entries under All Items. One has a keyhole symbol and shows just an account no. under the heading "notes". That is followed by the link to Pro Item Features, then Add to Favourites, Move and Copy and Share. The other entry has the bank's symbol and has entries for :username", "password", "website" and "notes". The data under notes is a SecureCode used to confirm online payments. After that the same 4 items as above. No sign of "Saved Form Details" and still many other entries from the earlier version not shown.

Colin

• Ah, I assumed you had the Pro features already. The ability to see Saved Form Details is a Pro feature.

Ben

• HKrunner
    HKrunner
    Community Member

So that means that even if I pay for the upgrade, the information about a bank account say will be scattered across 4 different sections of the app. Afraid I am going to look for an alternative before committing.

Thanks anyway,
    Colin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Colin ( @HKrunner ),

I’m sorry to hear that you’re considering moving away from 1Password. We did make a lot of changes to categories when moving from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, but I think a lot of those changes were really great improvements. Of course, it’s hard to please everyone, and we are investigating ways to make 1Password’s categories even more useful to all our users, and I’d love to hear a bit more about how we could make this more useful for you.

If I can offer a bit of advice on organization, the most important item to have for your bank account is the Login item. This will include your username or card number and password to log in to the bank’s website. If you would like, you can include all your other banking information in that Login item using custom fields. Custom fields are a feature new to 1Password 4 and later versions, and they open up a lot of great possibilities for keeping your information exactly where you want it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this, I’d love to chat more!

This discussion has been closed.