iOS + Mac User limitation and upgrade

gangorusso
gangorusso
Community Member

Hi,

I've purchased the iOS Pro since I mainly use my iPhone. However when I am working I find very useful not to switch among devices. Is there any offer / special plan for Mac license for already paying users on iOS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gangorusso

I'm glad to hear that you use 1Password and want to use more of it! Having your data available on all your devices is a bliss, and I think you'll enjoy it! The easiest way for you to be able to use 1Password on all your devices is by getting an account: https://1password.com/sign-up/. It includes the latest version of all the apps, access via your browser and automatic syncing. You can try it for free for one month and see how it works out for you :chuffed:

• gangorusso
    gangorusso
    Community Member

trial version used and expired. Now If i try to buy a license it give me the option to buy a license for 65$ - it seems expensive considering that I've already paid for the iOS one. Any other option available?

• Hi @gangorusso

That price is for a standalone license, which does not include the 1Password service (just the software). If you'd like the 1Password service as well, which would be the recommended approach (it includes access to all of our compatible 1Password apps), you can sign up for that from the page Pilar linked above:

Pricing - 1Password

You'd then set up your 1Password account billing page:

1Password - Billing

Ben

• gangorusso
    gangorusso
    Community Member

Thank you Ben,

I've seen the news and the links and of course I will go for your new subscription plan (2,99/months).

I was just wondering if I am still eligible to the 6 months Free period and a sort of reimbursement for having paid the ProService on my iOS.
    thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gangorusso,

I’m so glad you’re interested in the new subscription plan - I hope you love it! Since you are signing up for a new account, you are definitely entitled to the 6 months free. :)

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member

I'm a long, many year user of 1PW. Started buying V3. Have bought or upgraded each Mac computer version. And bought the iOS version back in the day I think for $49 dollars? Going by memory so I could be off - but have the "Pro" features.

I use 1PW with iMac, MBP, iPhone and iPad. Flawlessly syncs via iCloud. I left Dropbox sync when iCloud sync was enacted. And at the time had to buy again 1PW from the MAS to get it. Soooooo…

What reason or incentive does a 1PW user like me have for using this new $3 a month subscription plan? What is the 1PW company's sales pitch to users like me? For me 1PW going the Dashlane (BAD password software BTW) route with this subscription model.

For me, I see that 1PW will ultimately go subscription model. Especially if you want to sync devices. Like Adobe and Lightroom has done. Probably with next 1PW release? Legacy users will be supported for a year or whatever and then will be forced to a subscription for syncing devices. Or like Lightroom, certain features only go the Lightroom subscribers and not the "owners" of the software, but have to buy the software again each year to get those now "old" updates, BTW, I do not use the Lightroom subscription (Creative Cloud) and "own" the software.

Sell me Agile…

• Hi @justme12 ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your concerns.

First, I'd like to say that we have no plans on discontinuing support or stopping improving the "standalone" or "licensed" version of 1Password. And we have no plans of forcing a subscription.

Now, there are some notable advantages to 1Password for Individuals:

1. East of setup on new devices: Just sign in with your account credentials and your data is automatically downloaded and set up to sync. Even on devices that don't have your iCloud account on them.
    2. Increased protection: the combination of your master password and account key provides stronger protection for your data. More information on data security is available here: https://1password.com/security/ (for detailed information, click the white paper link at the bottom of the page)
    3. Pricing: While it's been a while since there has been a charged upgrade, that likely won't be the case forever. 1Password for Individuals costs $2.99/year, and provides the software free on all platforms. A standalone license for OPM costs $64.99 + iOS Pro features costs $9.99 - that's a more than two years of the subscription price. When considering upgrade pricing, it could end up being cheaper subscribing. Also note there is a 6-month trial offer on right now, cutting approximately $18 off the first year.
    4. Easily sync multiple vaults. When you create an multiple vaults, they are automatically synced, no extra work required. Personally I have several vaults, and having them all sync automatically when I set up a new device is a huge time saver.
    5. Web access: iCloud does not allow web access to your data - if you are at a computer that does not have 1Password installed, you can still log in from a web browser and access all of your data.
    6. We control the server: because of this we can optimize it to sync your data much more efficient manner, and can develop extra features that may not be possible with legacy sync methods.

Those are just some of the advantages. We believe 1Password for Individuals is a fantastic value, but we certainly realize that if you have a setup that you are happy with, we will certainly support you now and in the future. And we plan on supporting and improving 1Password in the future for both the licensed and subscription versions.

I hope that addresses your concerns. Feel free to reply if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_kevin for your great detailed reply.

For new users coming to 1PW it is a great deal I think. For me not really but who knows what future things you guys will introduce.

1PW is such a wonderful and useful product. And customer support always excellent too. I know you folks will keep up the great work.

• Thanks for the kind words! We'll be here for you, should you have any questions or need us in the future.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@justme12 I mostly agree with you that the subscription model is good for new users but maybe not for old ones.

I just want to point out that AgileBits have partly dealt with this by currently offering six months free on the individual subscription, see their blog.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danco ,

Thanks so much for chiming in here! We do hope that the deal on the subscription will encourage some existing users to give the service a try (because there are some nifty features to be had there!) but as Kevin says, we’re happy to continue supporting users who prefer the standalone licenses. :)

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member

@danco Yes the free 6 months is nice I agree. But for me, as long as iCloud sync/dropbox sync is not made a monthly subscription, then for me I pretty set.

I replace or update computers and iDevices pretty regularly and so far, 1PW just syncs once I install app from MAS, and enter my password. I posted as such here a few times congratulating Agile on how impressive 1PW is for me when replacing devices.

Always have my iPhone with me too so 1PW is always with me. But like now, I'm traveling, I bring my MBP when traveling, but there is an iMac 5k here, so I created an account on it, enter AppleID, download 1PW from MAS and i'm good to go. In minutes. I also have always, in tandem with 1PW saved passwords to Apple Keychain and this shows up too. So the Apple continuity things is very impressive also.

I look forward to what Agile will offer in the future in subscriptions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @justme12,

Well, I’m really glad to hear that 1Password is working smoothly for you as is! Thanks for your kind words, and I hope that you’re continually impressed with our offerings in the future. :)

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member

Nothing new - just Agile and 1PW getting some press.

"1Password is slowly switching to a subscription model" - TechCrunch

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/04/1password-is-slowly-switching-to-a-subscription-model/?ncid=rss

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @justme12,

Thanks for sharing that link! It’s great to see that the word is spreading. :)

This discussion has been closed.