Wi-Fi Sync Multiple Devices

HOOT
HOOT
Community Member

I've been using the trial version of 1Password for the past 30 days and must say its great! I currently run it on my iMac and iPhone and keep the two synced through Wi-Fi with no problems. Given that I'd like to start using 1Password on a third device, a Macbook, I was wondering if I could sync my vault (I only have one) from my iPhone to the Macbook? I want to keep things local, so using a cloud service is not an option. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Hi @HOOT,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Wi-Fi / WLAN syncing is limited to one computer and one or more mobile devices. If you'd like to use 1Password on multiple devices / platforms and do not wish to use a 3rd party cloud service I'd recommend checking out our 1Password.com service:

1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• HOOT
    HOOT
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Ben. I've looked into the 1Password account service before but as I mentioned I don't want my data to leave the local network even though its encrypted.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HOOT

If you have any questions about how 1Password protects your data, I'd be happy to help you know the details about it! If you still feel uneasy about it you still have one more option to keep everything local, however be aware that it's not an easy one! You can see how to do that here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-folder.html

Please let us know what you think about this option and if it works for you. If you bump into any issues just let us know and we'll be glad to help you sort them out! :chuffed:

• HOOT
    HOOT
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, Pilar. I just don't like the idea of having my password data "outside" even though its encrypted and thus perfectly safe. I think I'm not the only one and its the primary reason why I chose 1Password as opposed to a service like LastPass.

Anyway I actually managed to solve the issue. I just disabled the Wi-Fi sync from my iMac to the iPhone and then proceeded to set a new one up between my iPhone and the Macbook, which allowed me to import the current data there. Then I just reverted to the iMac to iPhone Wi-Fi sync as before give that is my primary machine. Anytime I add or delete data I can just manually change the Wi-Fi sync to either iMac or Macbook and use the iPhone as a "bridge". For the time being it works for me, although it would be even more convenient to have a Mac to Mac/iOS sync option, any plans to introduce it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HOOT,

I’m glad that you’ve found a solution that works for you, but I do need to caution you that this is not a fully supported solution. We designed Wi-Fi/WLAN sync so that a single desktop computer could act as a server and share information with multiple mobile clients. Using the iOS device as a go-between for multiple desktops could lead to some complication and conflict entries within your database. (A ‘conflict’ section might appear in some of the updated entries as 1Password tries to reconcile the differing sets of data from the multiple ‘server’ Macs).

I would recommend looking into Pilar’s suggestion of Folder Sync in order to keep your Macs up to date. If you’re strongly against any third party sync solution, you could use a USB drive with Folder Sync to manually move your data over whenever you make changes to your database.

• HOOT
    HOOT
    Community Member

Thank you for the clarification, Megan. Are there any plans to introduce a Mac to Mac Wi-Fi sync option in the near future?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HOOT: We don't have any plans for that in the near-term, but it's something we may do further into the future. Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to build that feature!

This discussion has been closed.