Extension will be outdated in Firefox 57 [version 4.6.9 extension is WebExtension compatible]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeremiahlee: We're on it. :) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cpressland: I'm hoping you meant Firefox 54, or I'm stuck in a time loop again(?)! :dizzy:

Anyway, I've merged your post with the existing discussion on the upcoming Firefox 57 milestone. We'll share more when we have something to announce. ;)

• danemacmillan
    danemacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

@jeremiahlee I was also excited to see this, then disappointed. Now that e10s has rolled out to everyone with more than one process enabled in their public release, does 1Password intend to speed up development? I want a faster browser, but I also want to authenticate with my accounts.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify: e10s is NOT rolled out to all users, even though you may read this in a new page :)
    There are still some criteria which let you with one process.

• danemacmillan
    danemacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

Based on discussions in the #firefox irc, it rolled out to 80% of eligible users. While it is not everyone, it is not insignificant.

• mruszczyk
    mruszczyk
    Community Member
    Options

At this point I've just disabled the extension. I'll copy and paste from the app until this is corrected.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

Yes and everyone with a11y tools too

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was also excited to see this, then disappointed. Now that e10s has rolled out to everyone with more than one process enabled in their public release, does 1Password intend to speed up development? I want a faster browser, but I also want to authenticate with my accounts.

@danemacmillan: We intend to have a new WebExtension ready for Firefox 57, at which point this will be required. We're going to take the time we need because so many people depend on 1Password. That may seem counterintuitive, but it's not something we're going to rush. If we can have it ready before then, we'll all be happy. But it needs to be done right. :sunglasses:

At this point I've just disabled the extension. I'll copy and paste from the app until this is corrected.

@mruszczyk: It's your call, but that seems a bit extreme. Firefox and 1Password still work just fine here. ;)

Just to clarify: e10s is NOT rolled out to all users, even though you may read this in a new page :)
    There are still some criteria which let you with one process.

@heubergen: Indeed. And when we ourselves have something to share publicly in this area, you'll all be among the first to know. :)

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@mruszczyk: It's your call, but that seems a bit extreme. Firefox and 1Password still work just fine here. ;)

Well, that's not true if you're one of the users who has to use Firefox Nightly on a regular basis, like I do. It's my primary browser because I have to be using all the cutting edge stuff for work purposes. I essentially never use anything but Firefox Nightly. :)

Eric Shepherd
    Senior Technical Writer
    Mozilla
    https://developer.mozilla.org/

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

In case anyone is curious, the Chrome webextension does not work (yet) on Firefox 54. I tried it and got the icons and menus, but functionality is broken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In case anyone is curious, the Chrome webextension does not work (yet) on Firefox 54. I tried it and got the icons and menus, but functionality is broken.

@freeAgent: Indeed. WebExtensions are a whole new ballgame, and there are enough differences between the Chrome and Firefox implementations that we'll be making changes to accommodate both...

Well, that's not true if you're one of the users who has to use Firefox Nightly on a regular basis, like I do. It's my primary browser because I have to be using all the cutting edge stuff for work purposes. I essentially never use anything but Firefox Nightly. :)

@a2sheppy: Ah, fair enough. That makes sense. I use prerelease builds for testing too, but we only officially support stable browser releases. We very much prefer when things work well in the dev relates too (for obvious reasons), but that isn't always possible. Maybe that's something standardizing on WebExtensions will help with in the future, once things settle down — both with the browsers and 3rd party extensions themselves, like 1Password.

So anyway, since you mention it...know anyone at Mozilla who we can poke to get Firefox to support delayed launch for the Native Messaging host when 1Password needs to close and/or update? ;) /cc @jxpx777

• BitBat
    BitBat
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So anyway, since you mention it...know anyone at Mozilla who we can poke to get Firefox to support delayed launch for the Native Messaging host when 1Password needs to close and/or update? ;) /cc @jxpx777

@brenty, would you mind reaching out to webextensions-support AT mozilla DOT org for that, please? In the email, please let folks know that you're with 1Password. Thanks!

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

It seems like they're working on it. They say that the APIs listed on the page are available in the Developer Edition, which is currently v55 I think: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Chrome_incompatibilities#Native_messaging

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

Pretty sure I am going to wind up completely insane long before Firefox 57 ships, just from having to copy and paste passwords around. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hang on. We're working on it. ;)

• Tucker
    Tucker
    Community Member
    Options

a2sheppy,

going to about:config in the address bar of firefox
    set Preferenced Named "extensions.allow-non-mpc-extensions" to true
    restart firefox

all kudos to fox2mike

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

I think he knows how to do that but this harm Mozilla if you do , so please don't!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for all the passion, folks. We're very near a beta release but we're doing this with multiple platforms and there are a lot of things to coordinate. Please make sure you're using the beta of 1Password's extension and that'll make sure you're on the inside track to get the update and in the meantime, sit tight and we'll update these various threads when the update is available.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• theironborn
    theironborn
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Using Firefox Developer Edition, I am suddenly able to use the 1P extension with "Multiprocess Windows" enabled.

Not sure if this is new but it was a nice surprise.

FF: 55.0b5 (64-bit)
    1Password: 6.7.1
    1P extension: 4.6.7b3
    macOS: 10.12.5

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@jxpx777 Do you plan to migrate the data from the old extension to the new one so that people don't have to re-authorize their Firefox instance? This would require you to update the 1Password extension to use an embedded WebExtension, migrate data there, wait some time so that the vast majority of people upgrade to this version and only then release a pure WebExtension version. This would mean the version with an embedded WebExtension would have to be released on a stable channel at least a month or two before the Firefox 57 release, i.e. this extension version would have to be released in October or even September.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol: There's no data to migrate since nothing is stored in the browser, but since it should be a direct update to the existing beta channel you probably won't have to authorize it again either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theironborn: Compatibility shims are still in place for non-e10s-compatible extensions until Firefox 56 I believe.

• mruszczyk
    mruszczyk
    Community Member
    Options

Your extension does not work with the shims. That is why we are not getting any multiprocess when using the extension. If it worked with the shims it wouldn't be a problem until the non web extension API gets depreciated in 57, but as it stands now we are not getting any of the multiprocess benefits.

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

And, of course, Firefox 57 is rumbling down the track toward launch. And on top of that, the extension doesn't even work in Firefox 56 (that's the current Nightly, which refuses to even install the beta extension). So we're looking at the current extension becoming unusable to the general public by around September 26. Not November.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@a2sheppy: I think it would work out rather nicely if 1Password beta works with Firefox 56 when it reaches the beta channel. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mruszczyk: I didn't say anything about shims making the 1Password Firefox extension becoming multiprocess compatible. 1Password will be e10s-compatible once the new WebExtension is released. In the mean time, it still works as non-e10s in Firefox.

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Why yes, it would. Although I sure wish it worked for me now, since I'm already on Firefox 56 and have been for weeks. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you. All joking aside, we should have something for you soon. :)

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - thanks for the info and the patience with those of us desperately seeking passwords on our dev builds. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

To add to what Brenty said, the reason that the shims don't help our current extension work in a multiprocess environment is because Mozilla never shimmed some of the APIs that we use, particularly for open and fill from the main 1Password application.

In the meantime, be sure you've updated to the latest version of 1Password for your particular platform since native messaging will be required for the updated Firefox extension. :chuffed:

I let the cat out of the bag in another thread so I should just say it here as well. 1Password for Mac and both versions of 1Password for Windows have native messaging support for Firefox already built in and ready. We're just allowing a bit more time for folks to get updated since the check for updates only happens automatically every few days for users on the stable channel for 1Password and we don't want to leave anyone in the lurch. Soon!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.