Please bring back Folders

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@saphirblanc: Ah, I see! There's no accounting for some people's organizational habits (or lack thereof). I think you're right that in those cases the fact that folders are more limiting than tags is actually, in a strange way, helpful. Thanks so much for making that point! :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @kavaa

Thank you very much for your insight! There are endless possibilities to try to improve organisation: adding the name of the client to the name of the item, having a consistent system for tag, creating more vaults... But at the end of the day, when we find something that works as we want it to is hard to change from it, I can completely understand how you feel. Thank you for sharing all these interesting points with us! :chuffed:

ref: B5-1922

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

The way we use 1P here is as follows: We have one vault per department (f.ex, Infrastructure, IT, Finance, PR, Marketing, etc.) and we assign employee access to their relevant vaults. Within those vaults we have tags to create folder structure to sort items where they belong (f.ex Communications, Crypto, Databases, etc). There really isn't much difference between this method and creating folders, because they're still getting sorted into the same categories we want. We also have hundreds of passwords, and the tagging method combined with the search function work perfectly fine to find what we need.

Now what I think would be an improvement, is being able to have more granular access settings for Members; f.ex they can access the Communications category (tag) in the Infrastructure vault, but not any of the other categories. This would accomplish the same thing as folder-based permissions that many admins are already used to. Another improvement would be having the tags in the left side column display how many items are in that tag group (just like the All Items category displays this at the top of the column). For that matter, have EVERY category display the number of items including Favorites, Logins, Passwords and Tags.

At the end of the day 1P can accomplish exactly what traditional folder-based programs like KeePass do. It's just a different way of going about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steagle: Category-based access is an interesting idea. I'm not sure that adding more complexity to 1Password Teams permissions is the way to go, but it's definitely something we can explore — especially if it fills a need for many people. And you're right that there's also more we can do with tags which would make them useful in situations where they are more difficult to take advantage of now. Great discussion! :)

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

Tags are not good enough. Hierarchy is the only good way to organize at a sophisticated level.

What do we want? Folders!
    When do we want them? Like from the beginning and not to be superseded by an inferior method.( not as catchy, but you get the point)

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member
    Options

@khad @brenty @Megan I think the heart issue here we all love or at least like your product. We all want to throw more money at you for the Subscription version for some better management and ease of administration, but the last thing any of us want is to give Agilbits more $ for less functionality. My Team will likely be able to live with Tags, but there will definitely be times folders and especially smart folders would be way the heck more handy than tags.

We understand that subscriptions are new and might have a little less functionality for a while, but core features like folders and smart folders should be last on the roadmap.

Cheers.Peet

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Totally understandable. Thanks for taking the time to let us know! I've made sure the team knows you too are interested in this! :+1:

Have a great rest of your week!

• Clement
    Clement
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add my bit to the call to bring back folders. I have used 1password for a few years and it is an essential program. The loss of folders is a problem in an otherwise reasonable upgrade to the subscription service. I have 300 plus log ins and organized them by folder to make life a lot easier. Tags mean I have to basically redo the organization from scratch. Otherwise another useful option with the new subscription service.

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    Options

Hey brenty, good point - complexity can often backfire and cripple a usable product, especially when it's not widely demanded by the user base in the first place. That said, I think category-based access would be logical considering there isn't a traditional permissions-based folder structure and we're relying on tags (or categories) to differentiate between the types of logins within our vaults. Here's a real world example: Say you have a software engineering department with one manager and four engineers. All could be active members of the software engineering vault, but only the manager would have access to vendor and payment categories, the others would have access only to the accounts they need in their jobs. I know this could currently be accomplished through much more liberal use of vaults, but I think that would become a bit messy over time, with lots of very specific vaults to manage. I think having one vault per department or project is more streamlined and efficient, with the granular aspect coming in the form of tags.

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    Options

Re: Clement - "I have 300 plus log ins and organized them by folder to make life a lot easier. Tags mean I have to basically redo the organization from scratch." I agree that the transition is a little frustrating, I had to do the same thing moving from a KeePass database with hundreds of logins and dozens of folders to 1Password Teams where I had to manually reenter everything and create new tags. But once finished, the organization is exactly the same. You click on a tag and you get the list of items, just like entering a folder. You can search by tag just like you can search by folder name. What other functionality are you losing by not having folders? I'm just trying to understand why this presents an issue for others when it hasn't turned out that way for us.

• Ben
    Options

It is true that there is no such thing as a "sub tag," at present. But it is possible to show only items with two tags. For example:

I have two tags: "Apple Watch" and "TOTP"
    All items that are tagged "Apple Watch" are also tagged "TOTP," but not vice versa (there are items in TOTP that are not in Apple Watch).
    If I do a search for Apple Watch TOTP or TOTP Apple Watch I only see the items that have both tags.

Previously I might've had a TOTP folder, with an Apple Watch sub-folder under it. But now the tags accomplish the same thing for me. I'd be interested in hearing any use cases where something like this would not work.

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Right... but if you search instead for Client Servers then you'll only see the servers for that client (assuming you tag the items appropriately with both tags for the client and "servers"). You'd still get the exact same results as you do now with sub-folders.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

True, tags does encourage a "search, don't sort" Google style philosophy. I personally don't even have my tags displayed in the sidebar.

Again, thank you for your thoughts on this issue. I'll continue to pass the feedback along to our development team.

Ben

• MrPat
    MrPat
    Community Member
    Options

Any idea on how to search for items without tags?
    Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrPatr,

On a Mac, you can search for and list items without any tags by choosing Edit > Find > Show Search Options in the 1Password app menu (or pressing the ⌃⌥⌘F keyboard shortcut), then entering this search criteria:

I hope that helps, and welcome to the forum! :chuffed:

• saphirblanc
    saphirblanc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes @kavaa ! Tell us if we can expect to have something before the end of this year or not :-).
    Thank you for your support.

• Hey @kavaa and @saphirblanc, thanks for checking in on this! Regrettably we do not have any news to share at the moment, but as always your interest and feedback is noted, and will be passed along to the development team so they know where to focus their energies. We’ll do our best not to keep you waiting to long for a proper update on this matter. :)

• @kavaa Not quite, and I did not mean to get your hopes up! I simply meant that we’re always trying to make 1Password as good as it can be, and that all of our users feedback is carefully considered when making future changes to 1Password. The more users that show an interest in a feature or change to 1Password, the more likely it is to occur! :)

• Thanks for checking in. We don't have any updates to share right now, but be sure to keep an eye on the changelogs when you update 1Password for the most recent details. :) Cheers!

• Not necessarily a hint. We post all updates in our changelogs though so it's the best place for news. ;)

This discussion has been closed.