Hanging on by a thread...

Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

Now that 1P seems to be moving toward subscription-only plans (you can still, for the moment anyway, still get 1P non subscription but what about next year and the year after???), I am, sadly starting to move to an open source password manager. I've already ditched Text Expander, and other programs that force the constant drip-dirp-drip of my bank account to have "all the cool features".

I'm sure there are crafted replies why subscription models "make sense!", but in the end, I will never use forced subscription software.

Seems like the days of non-forced subscription with 1P may be numbered.

:(

(Fortunately, there are lots of free options.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Mork ,

I can assure you we have no plans to discontinue the up-front license model.

The announcement of 1Password for Individuals of this is a direct response to demand that some customers want us to handle the sync of their information and easier sync setup. For that, we have to run our own sync server where we can use our own protocol to make it secure and easy to set up. And because we run our own server, there are ongoing costs that has to be supported by a subscription.

That does not mean we are going to abandon our customers who want to pay upfront, and for upgrades every now and then, and sync their data elsewhere. In fact, we have several improvements planned for both subscription and "standalone" customers. We realize the frustration around other software vendors in going to a subscription-only model, but we plan to do it right and support both types of customers.

I hope that allays your concerns. If you have any further questions, feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member

Thanks very much, Kevin. That's great to hear. :)

Abandoning 1P is not something I wish to do.

As long as there are worthwhile features in each new (perpetual) release, I'll buy it!

Thanks very much for your reply.

-- m

• Thanks, Mork!

We'll continue to work hard on improving 1Password; and we'll be here for you if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.