1Password stumbles with my backup drives

saikungbob
saikungbob
Community Member

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to routinely make several backups, including a complete clone of my startup drive. The drives to which the backups are written are always attached to my computer and always running. The problem is that if I launch 1Password with those backup drives attached, the program finds both the start up drive copy of itself and the backup copy. I always then need to shutdown the drives, launch 1Password, then restart the backup drives.

It would be really nice if, like iTunes (one of the only good features of iTunes), I was able simply to select the correct version without having to go through the steps mentioned above. I note that the current version of 1Password will show me the two copies and allow me to see them in Finder and delete the extra copy. That's not what I want to do.

Any possibility of changing this behavior?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password keeps finding my system clone

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There are two related issues.

There should be no trouble in actually launching 1PW. However 1PW can find the wrong copy of 1PW Mini in that situation, and for this reason AgileBits recommend only keeping one copy of 1PW. This is a long-standing bug in Apple's launchd process, which they don't seem to be doing anything about. I'm not sure if AgileBits could or should do anything about working round this Apple bug.

The other issue is that if you update 1PW you will be warned that you have several copies. You can just "update anyway". That will cause no immediate problem but might cause you to hit the bug mentioned above.

Best solution is to exclude 1PW itself from the backups, which is easy to do. If you want to be sure your backups have a copy of 1PW for emergencies (which isn't entirely necessary, as you can always download again), just use a zipped copy. Note that excluding the 1PW program from the backup will still have your DATA backed up, which you do need.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @saikungbob,

I apologize for the trouble here! Did Danco’s response clear things up a bit? He’s pretty much spot on: the solution here is to exclude the 1Password app from your backups. If you ever needed to grab a fresh copy of the Mac app, it’s available on our downloads page.

Of course, if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

• saikungbob
    saikungbob
    Community Member

Yeah, I guess I can do that, although I really don't like excluding things from the backup. Doing so would complicate things if I ever have to restore from a backup.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

But a zipped version of 1PW would be very easy to use for restoring.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@saikungbob,

You would just need to download the 1Password app from https://agilebits.com/downloads

All your data would be there, and you would pick up exactly where you left off since the data itself would still be backed up. (Obviously, you wouldn't want to exclude the data from your backups, just the app.)

Or, you could do as danco mentioned and include a ZIP compressed copy of the app in your backup if you wanted to make sure you had an offline copy of it for any reason.

I understand this is pretty annoying. We really do wish this bug didn't exist in the operating system. Sometimes the system just gets a little carried away and starts trying to launch 1Password mini from the first place it finds it — even if that's not the right place. This causes problems, so we do what we can to try to prevent it from becoming a problem.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

This discussion has been closed.