Locked out of 1password. No phone, no laptop, work laptop was taken yesterday as I was fired.

jamescoury
jamescoury
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

I worked for Nike headquarters. Installed 1password on my work laptop. Sold my personal laptop. Sold my iPhone and started using Google voice. Main point was to eliminate bills. Dumb idea. I was laid off yesterday and they took the laptop while I was at lunch. So I am locked out of [email redacted by admin khad], DropBox where I have my 1password access key, 1password, and every single account that was encrypted with 1password. Including my bank. Please help!!

I've tried every method of recovery. I didn't purchase from Apple Store so that way doesn't work.

I don't even have a phone right now. I have access to [admin edit: the email address I used to sign up for this forum] and that's it. Is there any way to recover my login? I know my username and master password but the access key is in DropBox which I'm locked out of. Can't recover DropBox or Gmail without my phone. If I can't get in I'm screwed.

Can you please reply to [admin edit: the email address I used to sign up for this forum]?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Locked out of 1password. No phone, no laptop, work laptop was taken yesterday as I was fired.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @jamescoury,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm really sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm sorry to hear about your job. Since this is a public forum, I have removed the email addresses you listed for your privacy.

You posted in the 1Password Families category, but I don't see any family account on 1Password.com associated with either email address you provided.

I do see a standalone license associated with the "jamescoury" address you provided, though. When you bought that license, there wasn't any concept of a 1Password account. It was just a license for the app, with all of your data stored locally (and optionally synced with Dropbox, which it sounds like you were doing). Unless you signed up for an account on 1Password.com in the past few months, you won't have an account there. Without an account there, you won't have an Account Key, and your data is not hosted on 1Password.com.

Unfortunately, if you have no backup of your data, then I'm not sure where we could help you restore the data from.

1. Do you have your 1Password data on any device anywhere? Could you contact your former employer to see if you might still be able to get the data off your work laptop if it was on there?
    2. Do you have any backups of your hard drive at all? What about a backup of your iPhone? Perhaps an iCloud backup you could restore by signing in to your Apple ID on a new iOS device (presuming your know your Apple ID password)?

If you have your 1Password data anywhere at all, we should be able to get you up and running. All you need is your data and your Master Password. (Account Keys are only applicable to the relatively new 1Password.com subscription plans.) But if there is no copy of your data anywhere in the world, we — very regrettably — don't have any way of bringing it into existence from thin air. :(

I'm hoping you have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere. Please let me know.

license: 854979

This discussion has been closed.