Limitation of the new Families/Teams versions?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

What are the limitations of the Families/Teams 1Password version?

It's crazy that someone will have 2000 login items as stated in one of the discussions. The new 1Password for Families/Teams doesn't yet have Folders support. What about support for images and other attachments? That has been an issue even for the standalone version in iOS.

If I have to split the vaults to support images, and I believe there is a 5MB limit per vault, does that mean that if I have 10 vaults, there will be 50MB allocated for the images? I read the number 5MB is in one of the discussions here.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

For 1Password accounts, we started from the ground up with tags instead of folders. They're more flexible than folders since an item can only be in a single folder at a time, but it can have multiple tags. Tags are also not restricted to a linear hierarchy, so they're much more powerful.

Attachments from existing items you that you migrate to a 1Password account are converted to Documents. From our Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account article:

Attachments. When you copy an item to a vault in a 1Password account, any attachments will become Documents. Documents are items themselves, and can be managed independently of the items that contain them.

1Password accounts (including family accounts) come with 1 GB of storage that can be used in a single vault or distributed across all your vaults. Learn more about 1Password accounts features and pricing.

Team accounts have 1 GB per user or 5 GB per user for the 1Password Teams Pro account. Learn more about 1Password Team features and pricing.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@khad,

There is a special offer for Teams that if I subscribe before 1st September, I get the Teams Pro for the price of Standard.

It also states:

What happens after Earl's Early Deal ends?

If you subscribe before September 1st, the special pricing (Pro plan at the Standard price) will remain active on your account for as long as you stay subscribed. You will continue to be able to invite new team members at the rate of the Standard plan.

What is the rate of invitation between Standard and Pro?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem,

Yep. Now is a great time to sign up for a team plan if that's what you are looking for. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@ Khad,

There is something that is not clear to me:

What is the rate of invitation difference between Standard and Pro?

If you subscribe before September 1st, the special pricing (Pro plan at the Standard price) will remain active on your account for as long as you stay subscribed. You will continue to be able to invite new team members at the rate of the Standard plan.

I do like perpetual licenses but the subscription license is tempting at this point.

Also, where are the backups and trash going to? Is it like the iOS version where there isn't any trash and the backup is limited to one backup vs 50 (configurable local backup number)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: During the current promotion, the Pro plan is the same price as the Standard plan:

1Password Teams pricing

The server does automatic backups and versioning(!), and of course the Trash is part of your 1Password Teams vault the same way it is in a local vault. You can view Trash in the 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta or in the web interface. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi,

Presumably, the subscription will go through Agilebits and not Apple? Apple does offer subscription from within the Apps.

Is there a need for both Families and Teams and, if I want to to trail both but end up paying for both, will there be a discount like a MAC/Windows bundle discount?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: You almost certainly don't need both 1Password Families and 1Password Teams (or an individual plan!) for yourself. However, what's more likely is that you'll get invited to multiple 1Password Teams over time. The great thing about that is someone else is paying, and you'll only pay for your own personal 1Password Account. I've got a few, but I'm only responsible for paying for my own 1Password Family.

I'm trying to envision a scenario when it would be anything but a nuisance to have multiple 1Password Accounts that I'm responsible for. I think it makes more sense to keep my data in a single account and use vaults to organize things if needed. Of course, I'll never say never, so we can absolutely consider bulk discounts if that becomes a thing that people do. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I am probably going to confuse myself with my redunancies!! Does Android support Families/Teams yet? I am thinking about the new Android phones with upcoming Android 7.0.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

1Password for Android does indeed support 1Password Teams and 1Password Families. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! That's good to hear.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

:+1: :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi, I am trying to understand Tags and Folders. If I, on my local 1Password AgileKeychain, have folders, does that mean that Folders are ignored when imported into Families/Teams?

I want to be sure what it means when you say that Folders are unsupported. It currently is supported in 1Password Standalone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Correct. 1Password Accounts use tags, not folders. Another difference between that an local vaults is that 1Password Accounts use Documents instead of attachments. These are a separate item type, which can be linked to other items if you wish. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks @brenty,

How simple is it to switch back to 1Password Standalone if I want to keep 2 versions, going back and forth between the two (Subscription and Standalone)? It's a failsafe thing! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

It’s definitely possible to use both local vaults and 1Password accounts side-by-side, but there’s no way to keep a local vault ‘synced up’ with a vault in your 1Password account. You would need to do the updating manually.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with being careful and having backups, but it’s important to note that your 1Password account does include a per-item backup built into the service, so your data is always backed up on our servers and you can recover either a single item or your entire database if anything happens to one of your devices.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I've got a question about Teams and Families. Is the admin name editable? E.g. If I later decide that I didn't like what I've entered, can I change the entire name? Like if I chose wklt dot 1password dot com (fictitious, or I hope so, if it hasn't already been taken) and later decided to alter it to a different name.

There was one mistake that I did a long time ago, which was to mix 1Password sample logins with real logins. I'm happy to purge them when going to Families/Teams.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've got a question about Teams and Families. Is the admin name editable?

@wkleem: Do you mean your account's username? If so, the answer is yes. You can do this for any user in the Admin Console. But be sure to let me know if you're referring to something else.

There was one mistake that I did a long time ago, which was to mix 1Password sample logins with real logins. I'm happy to purge them when going to Families/Teams.

I am in the process of cleaning up my vaults too! It's going to take a long time, and I wish you luck in this endeavor as well! :lol:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, am cleaning my accounts vaults. In my standalone, I had a tag called 'attachments' for items that had them. Migrating to accounts kept the tags, but since documents are now a separate item, my tags includes both the records and the attempts (docs). Took me awhile to figure out why the tally was different between the old and new.

Now I have to just delete the tag but am doing so carefully to avoid any 'gotchas'.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comment, @rlgleason51! I have 30 days trail period.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You know where to find us if you have any other questions! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I have a question about Families and Teams. In the 1Password 6 for Windows Beta, there is an option to sign into Dropbox and/or OneDrive. How does Dropbox and OneDrive affect the Subscription of Families and Teams?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

With regard to cancelling subscriptions, if I signed up for 1 year @3.99 per month (Pro offer), if I do an early cancellation, do I get to keep the rest of the subscription that I paid upfront for?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a question about Families and Teams. In the 1Password 6 for Windows Beta, there is an option to sign into Dropbox and/or OneDrive. How does Dropbox and OneDrive affect the Subscription of Families and Teams?

@wkleem: Like any local vaults, Dropbox and OneDrive are completely independent of 1Password Accounts. Currently there is only read only support for local vaults in the beta, so these options are primarily there for migration purposes.

With regard to cancelling subscriptions, if I signed up for 1 year @3.99 per month (Pro offer), if I do an early cancellation, do I get to keep the rest of the subscription that I paid upfront for?

Can you tell me what you mean by "keep the rest of the subscription"? If you're paid up for the month, you'll be able to use it until the date you're paid through, if thats what you were asking. And even once your subscription lapses, you can still access the data in your frozen account. You simply won't be able to make any changes to the data. I hope this helps! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Can you tell me what you mean by "keep the rest of the subscription"? If you're paid up for the month, you'll be able to use it until the date you're paid through, if thats what you were asking. And even once your subscription lapses, you can still access the data in your frozen account. You simply won't be able to make any changes to the data. I hope this helps! :)

Hi, I was confused as I thought it was a yearly subscription that was stated as "per month" in order to confuse people.

"$ 11.99 per user per month billed annually
    $14.99 when billed monthly
    Customization and control for your advanced business needs

Lock in today for only $3.99"

Is $3.99 a monthly payment or $3.99 per month x12 billed annually, which would cost under $48.00 annually.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, I was confused as I thought it was a yearly subscription that was stated as "per month" in order to confuse people.

@wkleem: Ah, sorry about that. There are two options: pay monthly; pay annually. If you choose the monthly plan, you'll be charged each month. Choosing the annual plan allows you to save a bit of money (roughly 20%, I believe) by paying for the year in advance; and you'll be billed again on the anniversary.

"$ 11.99 per user per month billed annually
    $14.99 when billed monthly
    Customization and control for your advanced business needs
    Lock in today for only $3.99"

Is $3.99 a monthly payment or $3.99 per month billed annually, which would cost under $48.00 annually.

If you choose the 1Password Teams Pro plan with its current promotional pricing, choosing to pay annually will charge 47.88$US (3.99$US per month) for each user per year; choosing to pay monthly will charge 4.99$US per user each month:

https://1password.com/teams/pricing/

Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @brenty,

From a value standpoint and as a long time customer, how does the 1Password Subscription versions work out. $48.00 x 10 years is $480.00.

Up to this point, I'd say that it has been a good deal with free updates for 1Password for Mac (4/5 to 6) and iOS (4.5 to 6.4). 1Password 6 for Windows upgrade price hasn't been disclosed yet.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Let’s look at those numbers a different way: $48/year is not quite 2 cents per day, or a little less than a dollar per week.

Up to this point, I'd say that it has been a good deal with free updates for 1Password for Mac (4/5 to 6) and iOS (4.5 to 6.4).

You’re right, we have been pretty generous with upgrades in the past. I can’t speak to what future releases will look like, but ongoing development does have ongoing costs. And one of the reasons that we’re offering 1Password accounts as a subscription model is that there are ongoing costs to running a server, in addition to maintaining the apps and adding awesome new features.

If you’re a license owner and would like to wait for pricing details on the new Windows app to be released before you make your final decision about whether to stick with licenses or switch to the 1Password accounts, that’s completely fine. It’s one of the reasons that we offered a longer trial period on the 1Password accounts for individuals. We want to make sure that license owners have a chance to consider the benefits without feeling like they’re being asked to pay again for something that they already purchased. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @Megan,

The premise of 1Password Teams is interesting. However, it's still in its infancy and standards change, too quickly for an old guy like myself. :( I would love to see a multi year plan like LastPass.

LastPass has its LastPass and XMarks combination. I wonder if the same thing would be possible for 1Password Teams and Families. After all, Agilebits did sell AllBookmarks previously.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in seeing the option to pay for multiple years up front. I'll be sure to pass that feedback along. We're starting out by keeping billing fairly simple: there is only one payment processor, and only two durations to pay (monthly or annual). Hopefully as we're ready to add more complexity we can look into adding some additional options.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

LastPass annually is 1/4 the price of the $48.00 currently being offered by Agilebits.

Thanks for all the hard work you all have put in these 11 years.

This discussion has been closed.