Subscription service and an old mac

JerryAlbee
JerryAlbee
Community Member

Hi, I just signed up for the subscription service on a new Mac. Works great and syncs with iOS devices. But, I have an ol mac that is stuck with mavericks (work based). I installed 1Password4 but it can't access the subscription based syncing. And the new 1Password no longer r has the syncing pane under preferences, nor an obvious way to export the vault (that I can find). How can I get my valve to securely sync (manually or automatically) between my subscription and this computer using version 4?

1Password Version: 6 and 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite and Mavericks
Sync Type: Subscription Sevice
Referrer: forum-search:Subscription service and an old mac

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JerryAlbee,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

1Password subscriptions require 1Password 6 for Mac. However, if you wanted to move some items to a local vault (i.e. a vault outside your 1Password.com account), you can choose 1Password > Preferences > Advanced then turn on "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".

That will create a "Primary" vault locally on your Mac you can sync with Dropbox. Then you can access that vault in 1Password 4 on your older Mac.

You can move or copy items into that vault from vaults in your 1Password account.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

• JerryAlbee
    JerryAlbee
    Community Member

Thanks Khad!

Super helpful. Creating this vault outside of 1Password:
    1) Is the above work around allowed within my license as a "subscriber" (currently in a free trial, soon to be paying) who has not paid for a stand alone 1 time license? Will it still work and will 1Password Version 4 will be operational?
    2) How secure it having a vault file aved on my computer and on drop box? Sounds like the subscription syncing I'm currently using has encryption with a master password and a second encryption key - how about this local vault file? How secure it that?
    3) Sounds like I would periodically manually move items from my subscription value to this separate vault file, and it would sync via dropbox automatically from that point? Yes?

Thanks!

D

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JerryAlbee,

Great questions!

1) Is the above work around allowed within my license as a "subscriber" (currently in a free trial, soon to be paying) who has not paid for a stand alone 1 time license? Will it still work and will 1Password Version 4 will be operational?

Your subscription to 1Password gives you full rights to use the app. This includes creating local vaults. We will need to get you set up with a standalone license for 1Password in order for you to continue to use 1Password 4 after the trial period, but that’s no big deal. Once you pay for your subscription to your 1Password account, just send us your account details to support+licenses@agilebits.com and we’ll get you set up!

2) How secure it having a vault file aved on my computer and on drop box? Sounds like the subscription syncing I'm currently using has encryption with a master password and a second encryption key - how about this local vault file? How secure it that?

Well, we wouldn’t even offer the option of syncing via a third-party service if we believed it was insecure.

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

3) Sounds like I would periodically manually move items from my subscription value to this separate vault file, and it would sync via dropbox automatically from that point? Yes?

Yes. It is not possible at this time to keep items in sync between vaults, so you would need to keep the local vault manually updated.

This discussion has been closed.