Converting to the new Individual Subscription Plan questions?

rtpete
rtpete
Community Member

I have been a very long time user of 1Password likely back to version 1. I currently have the Mac App Store version on my MacBook Pro and iMac and the iOS Pro Version running on my iPhone and iPad. I am excited about the new Individual Subscription Plan but like many other users have some questions about what happens if and when I make the switch.

The announcements and blog posts are very clear on how to set it up but I think you should have a nice prominent FAQ page to answer questions converting users may have.

More specifically the conversion seems easy enough but I am very curious about the remnants which might remain from what we're used to right now:

1. Once converted will I continue to use the same apps I currently use or will they be replaced by new ones? (The description of the new service implies new users will get the apps but are they the same or different is very unclear to me.)
  2. If they are the same then will updates appear as they do now in the Mac/iOS App Store?
  3. If they are new what items can be deleted from my computer if any after the conversion?
  4. I currently use iCloud to sync so does that become a thing of the past and can I then delete the stored file for 1Password I currently see in iCloud usage?
  5. Since I use it on 4 devices once I set it up on one do I have to go to the same process for each or will there be a simple conversion for the other devices once I set up my account?
  6. Over the years I have developed a wonderful workflow for your product and will things appear the same and a seamless transition?

I so love your wonderful product and just want to be sure what will happen when I make the conversion. The blog posts and introduction suggest staying with the old method is just fine but users will miss out a new features. I just want to be clear on what I'm getting myself into.

Thank you for considering these basic questions along time user has

All the best,
Richard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Converting to the new Individual Subscription Plan questions?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @rtpete,

Thanks so much for asking these questions! I’d be happy to answer them for you.

Once converted will I continue to use the same apps I currently use or will they be replaced by new ones? (The description of the new service implies new users will get the apps but are they the same or different is very unclear to me.)

You will continue to use the same 1Password apps that you always have. You’ll simply add your 1Password account and your new vaults will show up alongside any existing vaults. It’s simple to migrate your data into your 1Password account from your existing vaults, but you could even continue to use your existing vaults alongside your new 1Password account vaults.

If they are the same then will updates appear as they do now in the Mac/iOS App Store?

The 1Password apps will continue to be updated the same they have been in the past.

If they are new what items can be deleted from my computer if any after the conversion?

There’s no need to delete anything from your computer. :)

I currently use iCloud to sync so does that become a thing of the past and can I then delete the stored file for 1Password I currently see in iCloud usage?

If you are switching entirely to 1Password accounts, then, after you migrate your data into your new vaults, you can delete those existing vaults, and remove the data from iCloud.

Since I use it on 4 devices once I set it up on one do I have to go to the same process for each or will there be a simple conversion for the other devices once I set up my account?

The awesome thing about 1Password accounts is that your data is instantly available when you set up a new device. All you need to do is sign in to your account to see all your data. There’s no adding individual vaults, just sign in, and it’s all there.

Over the years I have developed a wonderful workflow for your product and will things appear the same and a seamless transition?

Because we’ve improved the existing apps to support 1Password accounts, I think you’ll hardly notice the difference when you use 1Password on a daily basis. There’s no need to change your workflow. :)

I hope this helps, but we’re here if you have any other questions or concerns!

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Megan,

I'm about ready to make the switch. Thanks for answering my questions. Here's a couple follow ups:

1. In my apps right now under Settings-->Sync I am currently set to iCloud. Will I have to reset that and will the new plan show up as a choice once I do sign up?
    2. I've watched the video a couple times and how to set it up and after I move the items from my current vault, will things I have set up like add favorites also appear as they currently are?

Thanks,
    Richard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rtpete,

Whoo hoo! That’s awesome to hear!

In my apps right now under Settings-->Sync I am currently set to iCloud. Will I have to reset that and will the new plan show up as a choice once I do sign up?

When you sign up for a 1Password account, you will add that account to the 1Password app. Your 1Password account vaults will show up alongside your ‘local’ vaults. Here’s what my vault list currently looks like:

If you choose, you could still have your primary vault set to sync via iCloud. But if you plan to move all your data into your 1Password account, then you can disable sync for that vault, remove the data from iCloud, and delete the vault once all your data is migrated into the 1Password account.

I've watched the video a couple times and how to set it up and after I move the items from my current vault, will things I have set up like add favorites also appear as they currently are?

Your favourites will remain as they are. It is important to note that Folders are not an option for organization in 1Password accounts. The accounts will use Tags to keep everything in order. So, if you currently use Folders to keep your data sorted, I would recommend taking a few minutes and setting up some Tags for each folder name if you wish to keep the same sort of organization.

Keep the questions coming. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I looked at the accounts tab in 1P version 6.3.1 and the only options I have are Families and Teams. How do I select the personal account to setup?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Follow-up: If I read the answer correctly, with accounts,1p purchased from the Mac store and App store would be updated in the same way as they are now, correct?

what about with paid upgrades? How would that be handled since Apple does not allow discounts or other special situations?

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Megan,

Thanks so much for all of your help and answering my questions and suggestions you made!

I am fully up and running, signed into my new account with credit card information entered, and reset all my apps and signed onto them again so I start clean in default mode.

Thanks again!
    All the best,
    Richard

• Glad to hear it's up and running, rtpete!

I'll pass it on to Megan!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi @rlgleason51 ,

You can add your individual account there, even though it says "Families and Teams". It will work fine. The reason it only references Families and Teams is that 6.3.1 was released before Individual accounts were announced.

When updates come out, you will be offered them for free as long as you have a paid account in good standing. The iOS App is free on the app store so there won't be an issue there. The Pro features are automatically activated when you add an account. For the Mac App Store version, we're still sorting that one out. It may involve switching to our Web Store version, which offers the same functionality, but we can't say for certain yet. But rest assured you will be able to get the updated apps at no charge.

Regards,
    Kevin

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Kevin,

Now that I have everything running perfectly and smoothly with my new Individual Account, here's a thought I just had. I realize this is overkill but what if I deleted my App Store version and then installed a new app directly from 1Password?

I would then sign onto my account and everything should be perfect.

It seems to me that would be a very logical decision since I would have a copy from your store which would update immediately when a new one was available rather than wait for the delay inherent with the App Store version.

Am I right in assuming that is license key is no longer necessary for the version from your web store?

Thanks for any comments in advance!
    Richard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Richard ( @rtpete ),

Am I right in assuming that is license key is no longer necessary for the version from your web store?

The license file will no longer be needed as long as your subscription is active. If your subscription ever lapses, the app would revert to trial mode, which offers you read-only access to your data.

You could indeed switch from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits Store version, and the beauty of the 1Password account is that you will have access to all your data as soon as you sign in, with no need to set up all your vaults individually. That being said, I don’t know that there’s a whole lot of need to do so. Lately we’ve been releasing the app updates concurrently from the Mac App Store and the AgileBits Store, so no one is stuck waiting for new features and fixes.

If you do decide to switch, make sure that you fully quit 1Password first:

How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits Store

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks ag_Kevin. When I click on the families link from within the app, I only see the 4.99 plan. Is there a reason why I could not just go your website and sign-up from there?

Once the six month period is over, wil ,billing start automatically or will I be prompted for a go/no go decision?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51,

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! :)

When I click on the families link from within the app, I only see the 4.99 plan. Is there a reason why I could not just go your website and sign-up from there?

You can absolutely go to our website and sign up from there! As Kevin mentioned, version 6.3.1 was released before individual accounts were announced, so clicking a link for "Families" in that version takes you to the Families-specific page of our site. You can sign up for the individual account here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

Once the six month period is over, wil ,billing start automatically or will I be prompted for a go/no go decision?

At any point during the free 6 month period, if you add your credit card info to the billing page of your account on 1Password.com, it will start billing automatically after the 6 months are over.

On the other hand, if you don't add your credit card info during that time, your account will be frozen after the 6 months (but you'd still be able to view all your items, copy your passwords, and even copy items to vaults outside your account). If your account is frozen, you can reactivate/unfreeze it at any time by adding your credit card info to your account.

We're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Congratulate me. I've signed up, created, added to my MacBook,iPhone and iPad, and stated populating my account by copying my items from my primary to personal vault.

Question: How can I sort the categories in my personal vault so they are alphabetical? I can't remember how I did it long ago in my regular apps.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51,

Congratulations to you! I hope you love 1Password accounts - we’ve spent a lot of time adding some great features to the service. :)

Question: How can I sort the categories in my personal vault so they are alphabetical? I can't remember how I did it long ago in my regular apps.

At this time, it is not possible to rearrange the Categories in 1Password accounts. There’s a technical challenge involved in ensuring that your sorted order would sync to all your instances of 1Password ... and it’s not something we’ve been able to solve yet. For now, the default order is the only option. I can certainly let the team know that you’d like to be able to customize this in the future though.

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

For all the years I've been using 1Password I never found the need to use the Backup feature. But it was always a nice and reassuring to know it was there if I did need it.

Now that I have fully converted to an Individual Account I no longer see Backup as an option in Preferences for my Macs, in Settings on my IOS devices, or on my Account Web Page.

Obviously I am missing something here and I'm just curious how Backups are now handled in the new Individual Accounts.

Thanks for your wonderful support!
    Richard

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Megan

Thanks. Pls do notify the team as I really like my alphabet.

I now have the same question about the item sort. My 1P records appear at the bottom of the item list instead of the top ( numeric before alphabet). Can I change this and if so, how?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Richard ( @rtpete ),

With 1Password accounts, backups are handled by the server. Since all your items are backed up online, we can offer you per-item history and restore features. It’s pretty neat!

Hi @rlgleason51,

Don’t worry, the team has been notified. :)

You can change how your items are sorted in 1Password’s Preferences > Advanced. Just uncheck the option to show numbers and symbols at the top, and you should be good to go!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Megan

Thanks again. I was not clear in my earlier post. The items are sorted correctly on my MacBook. They are not sorted correctly in my iOS devices. Anyway to change the sort on them?

• sflomenb
    sflomenb
    Community Member

When I create an individual account, is the Master Password I create different from my old one? Or can they be the same?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I originally posted this in the 'families' forum but not sure if it belongs there, so......

I just subscribed to the individual account. I successfully moved my data from primary to personal vault. However, when I tried to create another vault in my individual account, that option is greyed.

How can I create a new vault in my individual account?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Never mind - found,how to do it on the website account homepage. I would think that logging in would automatically,take me to the homepage, but such is not the case. I get taken to the page where I can download the apps.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sflomenb

They can be different, but it's much better if they are the same. That's what we recommend, and it will make your life so much easier! :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51

It sounds like you got it sorted out, is this correct? If you're still having some trouble or if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.