I tried 1password 6 trial version on my iMac and couldn't get it to sync to my Macbook

Rawdeal
Rawdeal
Community Member

I started yesterday with trial version 6 which seemed to be working on my iMac. I then set up the sync to iCloud. So far so good. I then downloaded trial to my Macbook pro. There is no icon for sync on the macbook and the sync is definitely not working. I then paid for a license thinking the trial was the problem. That didn't make any difference. Maybe instead of a license, I should have clicked on Family account and synced through Agilebits but din't see that as an option when I opted to pay in the preferences dropdown. I'm now very confused about what kind of account I have and the sync is still not working.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I tried 1password 6 trial version on my iMac and couldn't get it to sync to my Macbook

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rawdeal,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble getting set up with 1Password. Have you taken a look at our User Guide for 1Password for Mac? This particular article explains how to set up a new computer to access existing data in iCloud.

Could you tell me a bit more about how far into the setup process you are on the MacBook Pro? This will give us a better idea of how to get you back on track.

• Did you create a new Master Password when you set up 1Password on the MacBook Pro?
  • Rawdeal
    Rawdeal
    Community Member

Megan,
    I installed 1password 6 on my macbook and used the same login/password I used for the iMac. 1P opens fine on the macbook but there's nothing in it. When I go to preferences there's no sync button. In fact, the Sync, wifi and backup buttons are all missing. I loaded 1P on my iPad and it seems to be syncing properly. So, I have the sync issue with the macbook. I did read the user guide, but when I set up the macbook, I didn't get the option described in user guide step 2.....

""Step 2: Choose iCloud on your new Mac
    In 1Password on your new Mac:
    Click "Already have 1Password data somewhere else?"
    Select iCloud on the "Where is your data?" screen.""

On a separate topic, I also think I need to switch my license to a Family account. Can you help with this?
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rawdeal,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

When I go to preferences there's no sync button. In fact, the Sync, wifi and backup buttons are all missing.

This sounds like you signed in to a 1Password account when you set up the 1Password app. With 1Password accounts (like 1Password Families) sync and backups are all handled by the service, so there’s no need for your to manage them inside the app.

Have you already signed up for a 1Password account?

On a separate topic, I also think I need to switch my license to a Family account. Can you help with this?

If you would like to switch to a 1Password account, we’d be happy to help you out with that. I can see in our back office records that your license was purchased well within the last 30 days, so we can refund that for you and allow you to set up a subscription instead.

Do you currently have any data stored in 1Password?

• Rawdeal
    Rawdeal
    Community Member

Megan,
    Thanks. I only bought the license not a families account. If you can make the switch for me, I'd appreciate it. If it's simpler to just delete the existing account, that would be ok too as I only have a few logins and I have a copy of the information so I'm happy to start afresh with a new families account. Please go ahead and arrange a refund for the license. If deleting the existing account is the best way to go, can you delete it or do I have to do it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rawdeal,

I’ve refunded your license as requested. You should see the refund come through in the next few days.

Now, let’s get you set up with 1Password Families. Head on over to 1Password Families and set up your account. We have an article (and video!) that can help you add your account to 1Password and migrate over any existing data.

Setting up new computers and devices to use 1Password should be simple: simply sign in to your 1Password account when you set up the app and all your data will be there for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

• Rawdeal
    Rawdeal
    Community Member

Megan,
    All sorted on my iMac, MacBook and iPad. All in sync.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    John

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rawdeal

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that it's all in sync now! I hope it all goes smoothly for you from now on, but if there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.