1Password Licensing Changes - Start.1Password.com?

Options
areeb.khan
areeb.khan
Community Member

Hi,

I am currently a 1Password Mac, Windows and iOS user. I have a Windows license that I purchased directly and my Mac & iOS licenses come from the App Store. Everything is currently syncing through Dropbox under agile keychain.

I have noticed that you have a new Windows beta (the current version 4.6.0.604 - unlocks really slowly (I have 500+ logins) so I would like to get the beta if possible) and a new subscription based pricing system. Can the beta potentially corrupt my entire dropbox database?

With my current setup, how will my future relationship with 1Password develop? Will I need to repurchase my licenses with the new subscription system? Also what is Start.1password.com - do i already have an account for this?

I'm just looking for some clarification really - I depend on 1Password

Thanks,

Areeb

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Changes

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have noticed that you have a new Windows beta (the current version 4.6.0.604 - unlocks really slowly (I have 500+ logins) so I would like to get the beta if possible) and a new subscription based pricing system. Can the beta potentially corrupt my entire dropbox database?

@areeb.khan: Great question! The answer is no.

In fact, the 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta does not have finished local vault support, and this is precisely why it is limited to read-only: we don't want to take risks with anyone's data until it is done. So you don't have anything to worry about there since you cannot make any changes; 1Password 6 will only ever read OPVault and AgileKeychain vaults. For now.

With my current setup, how will my future relationship with 1Password develop? Will I need to repurchase my licenses with the new subscription system? Also what is Start.1password.com - do i already have an account for this? I'm just looking for some clarification really - I depend on 1Password

Absolutely! I'm glad you asked! Unless you have already signed up for the new subscription services (with a Team, Family, or individual plan), you won't have a 1Password Account. Definitely sign up, as you'll get 6 months for free with an individual plan so you can try it out for real:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Even if you're not ready to take the leap into the beta, all the apps and web interface are included, and we may be able to help if you prefer to use 1Password 4 for the time being.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• areeb.khan
    areeb.khan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. You mentioned that you may be able to help if I want to use 1P4 for the time being on a subscription plan; does that mean only the Windows beta is supported (on windows) if I move to the subscription service right now?

Also when is the next release for either Windows or Mac coming? What security does your cloud system have in place? Are you using AWS? Do the standalone applications for Windows and Mac still work in the same way if you are on the cloud system or will I need to use a web-app type of interface to access my passwords? How do the 1Password browser extensions work if I login to start.1password.com without having the standalone apps? Will you support two-factor authentication when logging into start.1p.com? Other than being able to access my stuff through the website, what differences are there when using the subscription service?

I'm thinking that if the next release to (Desktop Apps) 1P is on its way soon - I will sign up to the Individual plan and get the 6 months free.

Apologies for the barrage of questions - I love what you guys do but before I move my entire digital life into a new 'online platform', I would like to understand a little bit more about it. Also I live in London (UK) and would like to pay in GBP; is that possible on the subscription service?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Brenty. You mentioned that you may be able to help if I want to use 1P4 for the time being on a subscription plan; does that mean only the Windows beta is supported (on windows) if I move to the subscription service right now?

@areeb.khan: Ultimately the thing to keep in mind is that 1Password 4 cannot be used with a 1Password Account. If you go that route (subscribe to easily get all of the apps), using 1Password 4 will mean using a local vault that cannot be accessed through 1Password.com as part of your account. So you'll only be using part of what the subscription service offers. It isn't ideal, but it can work for you if that's what you want to do, and we'll continue to improve 1Password 6 to get it where it needs to be for you to fully transition. Just shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll help you work out the details and get setup.

Also when is the next release for either Windows or Mac coming? What security does your cloud system have in place? Are you using AWS? Do the standalone applications for Windows and Mac still work in the same way if you are on the cloud system or will I need to use a web-app type of interface to access my passwords? How do the 1Password browser extensions work if I login to start.1password.com without having the standalone apps? Will you support two-factor authentication when logging into start.1p.com? Other than being able to access my stuff through the website, what differences are there when using the subscription service?
    I'm thinking that if the next release to (Desktop Apps) 1P is on its way soon - I will sign up to the Individual plan and get the 6 months free.

To be clear, we don't have a new version to announce at this time. Your guess is only marginally worse than mine (given that I have more historical knowledge, nothing more) regarding the next version.

1Password.com uses AWS. And regarding security, when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, which covers the technology used by 1Password Teams, Families, and individual plans.

You can use your 1Password Account either with the web app or native apps. Browser integration, however, requires the native apps. The biggest differences for an individual subscription (as compared to the standalone apps) are the web interface, access to all of the apps, automatic data protection, and no license or sync configuration.

We're currently beta testing Duo MFA in 1Password Teams. Keep in mind that it is a beta and we don't currently have plans to bring this to the individual plan, but it's something we can consider for the future.

Apologies for the barrage of questions - I love what you guys do but before I move my entire digital life into a new 'online platform', I would like to understand a little bit more about it. Also I live in London (UK) and would like to pay in GBP; is that possible on the subscription service?

1Password subscriptions are charged in USD only. I hope I was able to address some of your questions, but especially regarding security you'll probably have many more! And hey, keep the questions coming so long as you have any. That's what we're here for! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.