Navigation functionality/shortcuts request: back and forward

percheron
percheron
Community Member

Please add functionality and shortcuts (eg, cmd-[ and cmd-], similar to browser) to navigate backward and forward through items.

Now that Documents are distinct entities in the app, it is frustrating to click on an attachment, switch to the document item, and then have no method to quickly return to the actually record that I'm working with.

ALSO, I just discovered that the category nav shortcuts (cmd-{ and cmd-}) only work when an item is selected. Seems unhelpful for the user to repeatedly select an item to use the functionality. Replication steps: choose an item that contains an attachment; click on attachment to switch to the document item; press either of the category navigation shortcuts; on category switch, note that no child item is selected and category switch shortcuts are inaccessible; select category child item; press either of the category navigation shortcuts; on category switch, note that no child item is selected and shortcuts are inaccessible; repeat ad nauseam.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @percheron,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback about that! I see what you mean about those keyboard shortcuts - they aren't working quite as expected. When I tested that, my results were slightly different than what you described, but still problematic. I apologize for the inconvenience!

I do see that you're using version 6.3 of the 1Password app on your Mac, and the latest is currently 6.3.1 - I don't know if that explains the small differences I noticed, but either way, it's a good idea to install the latest update. If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Check for Updates. If you're using the Mac App Store version, open the Mac App Store and check the Updates section.

But even with the latest update, it looks like there's a bug with those keyboard shortcuts, so I'll let our developers know about that (I don't have a timeframe for when to expect a fix, though). Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

In my own testing, I noticed that ⇧⌘{ and ⇧⌘} (shift + command + left/right bracket) sometimes worked when ⌘{ and ⌘} did not. If you try that, does it work differently for you? If so, that might be a workaround you can use for now.

Alternately, if one of the categories in the left sidebar currently has focus, the up & down arrow keys on your keyboard will switch to other categories. Then you can press the tab key a few times to switch focus to the item list. Or if an item in the item list has focus, hit shift+tab a few times to switch focus to the category list so you can use the up & down arrows.

Thanks again for letting us know about that! If you need anything else, we're always happy to help. :)

ref: OPM-4302

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will update to the latest versions and look for a fix in a future update.

My primary request, though, is new functionality for moving through selected items, namely between a "data" record and attachments. With the new concept of Documents, there is no navigation shortcut or functionality to "get back to" the original data record.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Thanks for clarifying your request, @percheron! That's an excellent point and I apologize for missing that when I read your original post. I agree with you - a Document item should certainly be able to link back to the item it's associated with. In fact, other types of items can link back & forth to each other with the 'Related Items' feature, so I'm not sure why that's missing from Documents. I've opened a separate ticket about this to request that 'Related Items' feature to be added to Documents. I can't make any promises about if/when that will be added, but I'd really like to be able to do that as well (and I'm sure other customers do too).

Thanks again! :)

ref: OPM-4303

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member

Thanks! You guys do a great job. I really appreciate having an app and support staff that work so well. Best.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, and thank you so much for the kind words - we do love our work and our customers and we hope that it shows. :)

This discussion has been closed.