How to get 1Password on my iPhone.

Terry_Miller
Terry_Miller
Community Member

I recently purchased 1Password from AppStore and uploaded it to my MacBook Pro. At the time, I had an Android phone. I didn't want 1Password on the Android, because I planned to get and iPhone which I did. It's an iPhone6s (iOS9). Now I want to get 1Password on my new iPhone.

How do I go about this?

I have sent two emails (yesterday and today) to you, but I haven't had a response. Please respond, because I want to get this behind me and be able to use Safari to access my Logins.

Terry Miller

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Get 1Password on my iPhone(iOS9)?

Comments

• Hi Terry,

1Password is available in the iOS App Store. You can follow this link on your iPhone to go right to it:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l4Hf&pt=11798&ct=site

I hope that helps.

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

It didn't work. I think it loaded, but appeared to stop there.

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

What is 1Password 6 for on my MacBook? I have both it and 1Password. I use only 1Password.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @Terry_Miller

That's strange, maybe try this link? https://itunes.apple.com/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l4Hf&pt=11798&ct=site

Maybe if that doesn't work you have some kind of browser plugin that is preventing the page to load?

There are two such versions of 1Password for Mac. One of them is installed from the Mac App Store, and is called "1Password." The other version is installed from the AgileBits Webstore and is called "1Password 6" (or previously, "1Password 5" etc).

You do not need both versions installed, in fact you really shouldn't. One might be pointing to older data than the other one and your data might become out of date.

Try this:
    Quit 1Password mini from the status bar in the upper right of your screen. Select the "gear icon" and select "quit 1Password mini."

From there you can launch either 1Password or "1Password 6" and see if one either doesn't have the right data or not, or gives a trial version error (if you haven't paid for "1Password 6" you might get that error).

You should keep the version that works for you and has all of your data.

Hope this helps.

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

"Quit 1Password mini from the**** status bar**** in the upper right of your screen. Select the "gear icon" and select "quit 1Password mini."

From there you can launch either 1Password or "1Password 6" and see if one either doesn't have the right data or not, or gives a trial version error (if you haven't paid for "1Password 6" you might get that error)." I'm not sure what you mean by Status Bar. I'm new to Mac from Windows.

I have 1Password with all my working logins on it. Additionally, i have 1Password 6, which just has AgiliBits on it, and I can't delete it. This one has a different password, which I know, I'm sure it is interfering with 1Password. So, how do I get rid of it?

And, your solution, above, didn't work either.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @Terry_Miller,

Let’s take a quick step back here and re-evaluate where we’re at. I want to make sure we’re solving the right problem here.

1. You purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store a while ago and have been using it on your Mac.
    2. All is fine there, but now we want to add 1Password to your new iPhone.

A few follow-up questions:

It didn't work. I think it loaded, but appeared to stop there.

Is the app still stalled on your iPhone? If your internet connection was slow, or there were several App Store updates running at the same time as you were attempting to add 1Password, it might take a while for the app to fully load, but it shouldn’t be stalled in limbo forever.

What is 1Password 6 for on my MacBook? I have both it and 1Password. I use only 1Password.

Do you have 2 different versions of the 1Password app currently in your /Applications folder? If so, we’ll need to figure out which one currently holds your data so we can remove the ‘extra’ one. 1Password will run a lot more smoothly with only one copy on your computer.

Don’t worry, we’ll work with you until we get this all sorted out!

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Is the app still stalled on your iPhone? No, and it never was stalled. And, there were no other apps running when I installed it.

1Password is the one I use on my MacBook (with its own unique password), and it has all my logins, which work great. The other is 1Password 6 (which has its own different password) with the only login of agile bits, and I don't use this and can't move it to trash.

I'm know you'll figure this out, and I appreciate all help you can provide me!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Terry_Miller,

Thanks so much for clarifying those details.

Let’s talk about your Mac first

Since you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, the 1Password app (with no 6) is the one that you should be using. (There’s nothing wrong with using the 1Password 6 app from the AgileBits Store, but since you don’t currently have any useful data in there, let’s just get rid of that one, for simplicity’s sake.)

1. If 1Password is currently running, use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit the app, and 1Password mini.
    2. Unlock 1Password 6 and select the one item in your database (that AgileBits login).
    3. Go to File > Export and export this item as a .1pif file. Save it somewhere memorable on your drive. (Just in case you need it at some point.)
    4. Use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit both 1Password 6 and 1Password mini.
    5. Open a Finder window and drag the 1Password 6 app to the Trash.
    6. Empty the Trash and restart your Mac.

Now, you should have only one 1Password app in your Applications folder, and it will be the one with all of your data. :)

If you would like, you can import that one AgileBits item (from the .1pif file to keep it in your database.) Perhaps I’m being a bit overly cautious here, but I’d hate for you to lose an item that was actually necessary.

Now, on to the iPhone

My apologies for misunderstanding, I thought that the app was in the middle of loading when it paused. Is the app properly installed and just waiting to be loaded with your 1Password information?

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Megan, I did all the steps in your suggested, and all were successful. After restarting, there is only 1Password with all my logins plus agile bits.
    It still doesn't work on my iPhone, so now what?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Terry_Miller,

We’re halfway there, awesome!

Now, you’ll need to tell me a little bit more about what ‘it doesn’t work on my iPhone’ looks like. The short version of what we want to do now is this:

1. Set up sync in 1Password for Mac so that we have a way to share the data with 1Password for iOS.
    2. In 1Password for iOS, point the app at the existing data so it can load things up for you.

You can take care of the Mac side of things already:

Sync your 1Password data

To set it up on iOS, I’ll just need to know a bit more about where we’re currently at so we know where to start. :)

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

My Mac said synced 20 minutes ago and points to iCloud (all on same line.

On iOS/1Password, I FIRST get an screen email screen addressed to support@agilbits.com with a Subject: Last email and a message of: https://start.1password.com/signup/sent-email. AND there is no way to send this!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Terry_Miller,

Sounds like your Mac is all ready to go!

Now, as for 1Password on iOS, I’d be interested to see a screenshot of what you’re seeing. (Just be sure that you're not displaying any personal or sensitive information when you take the screenshot!)

To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Once you’ve taken a screenshot, try quitting the app and re-opening. Does it behave any better?

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Terry works great for me. I just told you what I see when I open 1Password on iOS. The only thing I didn't say was "Last email" in blue color is above the To: support@..... and "Sent from my iPhone" at the bottom.

And, I don't have the foggiest idea on how to capture the iOS screen to send it to you. The data at the extreme top of this screen is as follows: ***(cc-I can't read this) CC LTE 5:02 PM battery symbol
    Terry

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Why don't I delete 1Password on my iOS (not sure I know how) and reinstall it from the app store?

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Megan, here is the screen shot you asked for earlier:

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Good Morning, Megan,
    I think I've found where the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. What follows is all on my iPhone. First 1Password is now available, but it doesn't do anything.. I key it enter the master password, and that ends it.

What I noticed is under Settings > Safari > Passwords: There are 9 entries of which the first 3 are agilebits.com -- Terry_Miller, Terry59 and TP; these are followed by 4 websites ending in ".com" and 2 websites ending in ".net".

I suspect none of this should be at Settings > Safari > Passwords.

I'm expecting to see with Safari something similar to what I see on my Mac which is the 1Password icon near it. When I tap Safari, I get a screen to enter a website, but no choice of 1Password supplied websites.

I hope this helps you Megan,
    Terry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Good morning Terry ( @Terry_Miller ),

Thanks for getting back to me with all those details!

I think you’re on the right track with this idea:

Why don't I delete 1Password on my iOS (not sure I know how) and reinstall it from the app store?

Do you currently have any data stored in 1Password that you need to save? If not, let’s reinstall.

When you set up 1Password for the first time, just follow the directions in our User Guide. Please note that you are currently using 1Password without an account, so make sure that you select the Use without an account option on the setup screen so that you can direct 1Password at the data you have in iCloud.

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Megan, I'm not too excited about reinstall, because I have 37 logins that are stored in iCloud. Why should I reinstall on my Mac when I think the problem is on the iPhone.

Or, did you mean reinstall on the iPhone?
    `

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi Terry ( @Terry_Miller ),

My apologies! Yes, we’re most definitely talking about reinstalling 1Password on your iPhone (as you had suggested in an earlier post).

ref: MQV-25221-184

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

I'm with you. Do I install it over the old and do I install it from the AppStore?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

To reinstall an app on iOS, you’ll want to tap and hold the app icon until an x appears in the corner (and all your apps go ‘wiggly’). Tap the x to delete the app, then tap the Home button to stop the wiggling. After that, just visit theiOS App Store and grab a fresh copy of the app!

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

I the two tasks in the order you suggested and I now have two copies of 1Password on my iPhone; one the normal icon and one with the 1 horizontal on a silver band surrounded by gold.

It synced with iCloud. Now, how do I get Safari to access my 1Password logins, because it doesn't.

MY question is why am I having all these problems? This process should be fairly straight forward, even without instructions/user guide?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

I apologize that this seems to be taking a while, but we are making progress here, I promise!

I now have two copies of 1Password on my iPhone; one the normal icon and one with the 1 horizontal on a silver band surrounded by gold.

That second icon you describe doesn’t sound like 1Password at all. I wonder if you might have downloaded a different app by mistake. Any chance you’d be willing to send me another screenshot? There are instructions on how to take a screenshot on iOS here.

Now, how do I get Safari to access my 1Password logins, because it doesn’t.

On iOS, accessing your 1Password data in other apps is a little bit different than on your Mac. But all you need to do is enable the 1Password app extension and you’ll be able to fill your details in mobile Safari:

Use the 1Password app extension

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

I'll do the screen shot, but the problem I have is to get to you. Any suggestions; I know its in my iPhone Photos.

I got it to work for my bank and broker accounts, so I guess I'll stumble thru and get it to work for the other 35 logins.

After you tell me how to get the screen shot to you, I plan to delete what may be the phony 1Password with the strange colors. OK?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Terry_Miller,

I got it to work for my bank and broker accounts, so I guess I'll stumble thru and get it to work for the other 35 logins.

I’m sorry to hear that this process is frustrating for you. We certainly don’t want you stumbling. Could you tell me a bit more about what you’re seeing and how the other Logins are not behaving?

I'll do the screen shot, but the problem I have is to get to you. Any suggestions; I know its in my iPhone Photos.

If it’s easier for you, you’re welcome to email the screenshot in to support@agilebits.com rather than trying to post it here. When you send an email to us, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ID number. If you share that number here, I’ll be able to track your email down in our system.

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Its on the way via email. By stumble, I meant access the other logins and see if they work on my iPhone.

Thanks for all your help, Megan. If i'm a typical user, agilebits may have some work ahead to make 1Password easier to use for iPhone users.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the screenshot!

The app with the ‘fancy’ gold-trimmed icon is sneakily named iPassword, not 1Password. So, if your data is all stored in the 1Password app, you likely don’t need to keep that one around. And I won’t be able to help you troubleshoot anything that’s going on with that.

I hope that 1Password is slowly starting to make sense to you. Of course, making 1Password as user-friendly as possible is one of our goals, but it’s definitely a work in progress. Our User Guide is usually where I recommend new users start off. There’s some good articles there that can walk you through the basics. If you have any questions about what you see there, or if anything in the app itself doesn’t make sense to you, don’t hesitate to ask us here - we’re always happy to help!

• Terry_Miller
    Terry_Miller
    Community Member

Thanks, again, for all your help, Megan!

I think I'm at the point where I can forage on my own, I hope. Anyway, I'll leave you alone for awhile.

Terry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Good luck with the foraging! We’re here when you have questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.