I lost my master password and started from scratch: all good on iMac/iPhone but MB Air still stuck

CharlesCrawford
CharlesCrawford
Community Member

I lost my master password and started from scratch: all good on iMac/iPhone but MB Air still stuck with old vault if I have the terminology right. The new p/w does not work there.

How do I access my new iP info on the MB Air pl and then synch everything nicely, pl?

1Password Version: 6.3.1 on iMac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:lost password

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesCrawford

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Master Password, but it sounds like you have everything sorted out, that's great news! I'm going to move your post to the Mac category so we'll be able to help you better. In order to start over with an empty vault it's not enough to delete the app. You need to go through the steps shown here: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Have you followed those instructions and you're still having trouble? Could you please try doing this one more time and when it's done be sure to empty the trashcan and restart your computer before downloading 1Password again? If after doing this you're still having some trouble just let us know so we can see what else might be going on :chuffed:

Please let us know how this all turns out for you!

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Pilar

Thanks! Great smile!

It's not clear from the site you linked to whether I am removing all my 1P data everywhere OR just on the device concerned! I of course just want the latter, so that my MB Air synchs happily with my iMac/iPhone 1P data as it now is.

When I get a new device eg new iPad can I download the app and then synch it all on to that new deviceusing my 1P password?

Pl confirm before i tackle this dangerous job...

Charles

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesCrawford

Oh thank you very much, you're very kind! :blush:

If you follow the steps on that link you would only be resetting 1Password on the device that you're using, the sync data and anything stored on the other devices will be perfectly safe. Unless you have an account (if the terms Account Key and Security Kit don't ring a bell then you don't), all your data is stored locally and independently from the app itself, that's why just deleting the app doesn't do the trick.

If you go through the steps on the link I gave you earlier you'll be able to install a new copy of 1Password and sync it up with your two other devices. One of the first things that you'll have to do when you download 1Password again will be to pick a syncing method. It's the same if you ever get new devices. If you use only Apple products, iCloud sync is the easiest and most straightforward way to get all your data everywhere.

Please let us know how this all turns out for you :chuffed:

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Your pellucid explanation should be on the website! I'll have a go later this week and report back!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesCrawford,

I’m so glad that Pilar’s responses have been helpful to you! I’ve got my fingers crossed that everything goes off without a hitch, but if you hit any snags, we’re here for you. :)

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

I'm away now w/o my MB Air so I can't run that proposed sequence

But now I'm baffled by my iPad. It lets me into 1P using my new (second) master password but won't let me access my 'primary vault' that requires my forgotten first master p/w!

How do I find a master-list of whatever vaults I have? Why is my iPhone syncing my main 1P Login list with my iMac but my iPad isn't? Confused!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesCrawford,

I'm sorry this has been so confusing! We can definitely help to figure out what's going wrong and get everything working correctly again.

But now I'm baffled by my iPad. It lets me into 1P using my new (second) master password but won't let me access my 'primary vault' that requires my forgotten first master p/w!

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean, because you don't need to unlock each vault individually - when you open the app and unlock it with your master password, that will unlock all the vaults that have been added to 1Password on that device.

Do you perhaps mean that you reset 1Password on your iPad, set it up as a new user with a new vault and a new master password, and then tried to sync the new vault with Dropbox or iCloud? If so, it sounds like you still have the old vault in Dropbox or iCloud, and therefore that old vault requires your old master password.

We can help you with that, but we'll need to know a few more details about your setup:

• How are you syncing your 1Password data between your iPhone and your iMac?
    • Were you previously using multiple vaults in 1Password on any of your devices?
    • Did you sign up for a 1Password account? Or did you purchase a license and are trying to sync your vault(s) with Dropbox/iCloud?
    • If you had been using multiple vaults that synced via Dropbox or iCloud, do you remember the master password for any of those vaults?

Once we know a bit more about your setup and how you're trying to use 1Password on each device, we should have a better idea of the steps you'll need to follow to get this all straightened out. Thanks in advance! :)

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Drew,

Thanks. I have solved my iPad problem by not synching via Dropbox!

My only remaining issue for now is my MB Air. I have deleted 1P and redownloaded it but it keeps requiring my original (lost) master p/w to do anything, so I can't get into to it to open the sequence proposed by Pilar previously. How do I get my MB Air to open 1P with my current p/w and then synch everything into that?

Charles

• Hi @CharlesCrawford

While 1Password is locked you should be able to select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data from the menubar. That should clear the old vault which you've lost the Master Password for off the MacBook Air, so that you can instead sync with your active vault on your iPad.

Ben

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Ben

Tried that. Deleted the app and downloaded it again on my MB Air. It still asks for my lost password! Somehow of all my devices only the MB Air is refusing to accept my new p/w! Something somewhere is being remembered when it shd be forgotten so I can start anew. Baffling!

To be clear - my active vault is (I think) 'led' by my iMac if that's the right way of looking at it. My iPad and iPhone all synch with that vault happily now.

Next?

Charles

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesCrawford

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with all this! Just deleting the app will not reset your 1Password data. You need to go through the process Ben mentioned to really be able to use 1Password with completely new data and Master Password. If you have done that and you're still having the same problem, then I think we'll need to take a look at a Diagnostics Report to have a better idea of what's going on :chuffed:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Pilar

Thanks. Diagnostic report just sent. Enjoy!

Charles

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @CharlesCrawford! We received your email & report, and I see that someone from our team has replied to you (if you didn't receive the email, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). You can reply to that and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: UYU-88195-174

• CharlesCrawford
    CharlesCrawford
    Community Member

Drew

Thanks. Just replied by email to John. Still no joy!

Charles

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.