1Password on Mac and Windows

chris1850
chris1850
Community Member

Hi. I have 1Password installed on a MacBook Pro and also on an iPad. I now have a Windows laptop as well for work. How do I access my account on that please? Thanks for your help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hi @chris1850 , It is very easy to synchronise 1Password over multiple OS, however, you didn't supply any information regarding the 1Password installation on your Mac.
    You ask how to access your account, implying that you have subscribed to 1Password for Families, 1Password for Teams or a 1Password single-user account on the AgileBits server.

• If you have subscribed for an account, you can find details on setting up Windows to access your account here.

You may, however, have purchased a 1Password License. Licenses and accounts are unrelated. A license is for standalone products that are not linked to any of the AgileBits syncing services, they are for locally encrypted files that you can choose to automatically/manually sync with a third party service such as Dropbox — if you wish.

• If you have purchased a license, the best way to synchronise your Mac and Windows devices is to use Dropbox. You will find complete instructions for setting up Dropbox here.

I hope that this helps, but do feel free to ask further questions if you're having problems.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• chris1850
    chris1850
    Community Member

Hi Rob
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I have a 1Password licence and already use Dropbox. There is a 1Password folder in my Dropbox folder. I use a single vault and currently access this via the 1Password app/programme on my Mac and iPad. This works absolutely fine. I have installed Dropbox on my Windows 10 Laptop and can access all folders and files as expected.

I have followed the instructions as best I can but am still having problems I am afraid.

When I access the 1Password folder in Dropbox either via the Dropbox website or directly from the Dropbox folder on my Windows laptop, the next level folder is '1Password.agilekeychain' when this is opened the folders are 'a', 'data' and an html file. Opening the html file takes me to the familiar 1Password vault screen but there is an error message 'a problem occurred when loading the data/default/encryptionKeys.js file. If I 'OK' this and then enter my vault password, I get the error that 'a key data file could not be loaded' and the vault cannot be opened

Can you offer any further help please.

Many thanks

Chris

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chris1850

Congratulations on your new computer! I'm glad to hear you want to keep on using 1Password with it!

You only have a license for 1Password for Mac, so you have two options to use 1Password on your new Windows computer. You can keep on using 1Password the way you have: storing your data on your devices and setting up syncing by yourself. The license you currently have is only for Mac, so you need to get a license that includes Windows too. The good news is that you get a great discount if this is what you want! Just let me know if you prefer this option so I can send you a coupon via private message :chuffed:

However, the easiest for you would be to get an account. This way your data would be stored on our servers, and easily available on all your devices as well as the web interface. The latest version of the apps in all platforms is included, and you can very easily move your current data there. Right now we have an amazing special and you can get 6 months for free! Just as a warning, the version of 1Password for Windows that supports accounts is still in Beta, but it's already on a very good state and getting better every day! You can sign up by clicking on the banner here: https://1password.com.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about either of this options, or if there's anything else we can help you with! :chuffed:

• chris1850
    chris1850
    Community Member

Hi Pilar
    Can you advise how I can upgrade my licence to include Windows please. If I do this, presumably the interface is the same as on my Mac? If I then add/change a login on the Mac, how do I then sync with the Windows PC?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @chris1850 , If you upgrade your 1Password license to include Windows (Pilar or one of the other AgileBits team will give you instructions on how to do this, but if you download the app now, you have a 30n day trial period), the interface is very similar to 1Password on the Mac.
    Once you have downloaded the app, you can set it to sync with your Dropbox account, just the same as you would with the Mac.
    You can use the setup instruction that I also linked to in my previous post.

I hope this helps you get your Windows installation up and running, and someone from AgileBits will get back to you soon with your License update instructions.
    You can speed this up a little by sending a mail to support@agilebits with your request and a link to this post:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/321146#Comment_321146

Don't hesitate to ask further questions, if you still have them!

Cheers,
    Rob

• chris1850
    chris1850
    Community Member

Hi Rob
    Thanks for that. I have downloaded the app as you suggest and it seems to be working OK
    Cheers

Chris

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chris1850

I just send you via private message a coupon so you can get 1Password for Windows with a discount! It looks like Rob has given you pretty good advice on how to sync and get set up, so I hope that everything will be ready to use soon! If you bump into any problem along the way just let us know and we'll guide you.

Please let us know how all this turns out for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.