I keep getting the message "Database Backup Failed The 1Password Database could not be backed up...

sbgottlieb
sbgottlieb
Community Member

I keep getting the message "Database Backup Failed The 1Password Database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more key files may be missing." Any suggestion how to fix this? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS El Capital 10.11.6
Sync Type: Google Drive
Referrer: forum-search:database backup failed

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbgottlieb,

Since we’re talking about 1Password for Mac here, I’ve moved your post from the iOS section of our forum to the Mac section, I hope that’s ok!

Let’s try restarting 1Password mini to see if that helps:

1. Use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Open 1Password - is the app able to make a backup now?
  • sbgottlieb
    sbgottlieb
    Community Member

Thanks. Command-Control-Q didn't work. I was able to get out of 1Password for Mac, but not sure how to exit 1Password mini. Any suggestions?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbgottlieb,

You can quit 1Password mini via its menu as well:

1. Click on the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar.
    2. Click on the gear icon.
    3. Select ‘Quit 1Password mini’
  • sbgottlieb
    sbgottlieb
    Community Member

I did that and re-started. Unfortunately, I am still getting the "Database Backup Failed" message. What next?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbgottlieb,

Sorry to hear that didn't work! That error message might actually be coming from an old component of 1Password 3, which is apparently still on your Mac - if so, the backups in 1Password 6 should be working just fine. You can verify that by opening the main 1Password app and going to File > Backup. If you see all your 1Password backups there (including a brand new one), it's working correctly in that version.

Assuming the problem is coming from an old 1Password 3 component (called 1PasswordAgent), you can solve that by following these steps:

1. From the Finder, select Go > Go to Folder... from the menubar
    2. In the Go to the folder field that appears, copy and paste the following text and press Return: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    3. Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist
    4. Go back to the menu option for Go > Go to Folder…
    5. Copy and paste the following text and press Return: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    6. Delete the Agent folder
    7. Restart your Mac

Does that take care of the problem? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• UC_Guy
    UC_Guy
    Community Member

I wasn't involved in this chain, but I had the same problem, searched Google, and found this forum. I tried Drew_AG's suggestions above and it worked for me. No more "Database Backup Failed..." messages. Also, Drew_AG was right about the backups actually working despite the errant error messages. When I checked, I had full backups in the system before trying his error message fix. Thanks for the good advice!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm very happy to hear those steps were helpful for you, @UC_Guy! Thanks for letting us know.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need any help with 1Password or have questions about it, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.