Web Version of 1Password?

Options
DATElliott
DATElliott
Community Member

I noticed that 1Password changed to a subscription service payment regime. As I was reading the new information on the 1Password site, I started thinking that maybe 1Password had created a web version of the application; e.g. being able to obtain our passwords by signing-up for a web access service. Is this something that 1Password is offering now (notwithstanding the security issues it would present) or does a machine/device still need a local instance of 1Password on it to access password information?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:Web version

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DATElliott

There are a few things here to discuss! First of all,

I noticed that 1Password changed to a subscription service payment regime.

That's not completely right. We didn't change to a subscription model, but we added one. The old way to use 1Password is still there and not going anywhere :chuffed:

I started thinking that maybe 1Password had created a web version of the application.

Yes we have! If you have a 1Password account you also have the possibility to access your data on any browser. You won't be able to run the extension for example, but you will be able to read, edit, add, etc items.

notwithstanding the security issues it would present

Security is our priority. If we hadn't found a secure way to do this, we simply wouldn't have done it. Your data is not only protected by your Master Password but also by something new: your Account Key. You need both ingredients to decrypt it, and neither of them ever travel over the internet. Thy are generated on your own device, we don't have access to them. Your data is only decrypted directly on your device. If you would like to know some more about how 1Password Accounts protect your data, let me know and I will be glad to get you the details!

If you have any other questions or there's anything else you'd like to know, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! Thanks, Pilar!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

On behalf of Pilar, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.