Category issues following upgrade to OSX 6.3.2

jmaynard
jmaynard
Community Member

Having upgraded to the latest Mac version, I have two category issues:
1. a new category (identities) has been inserted but I do not want to use it. How can I delete/hide it?
2. an existing category (I called it Serial Numbers) has been renamed to Software Licenses - how can I rename or remove/hide?
thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 632000
OS Version: macOS Sierra B4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmaynard

I'm wondering what version you were using before, as these things have been around for a long time now! If you don't want to see the category "Identities" on the left bar then you need to check if you have any items there. If you do and you don't need them delete it and the category will disappear from the list. For the second one, the names of categories cannot be changed. If you don't need the items stored there you can also delete them and the category will vanish from the side bar.

I hope this helps you, if you have any other questions please let us know! :chuffed:

• jmaynard
    jmaynard
    Community Member

thanks for the response - I guess I've found a bug in the Mac version because 'Identities' appears even when it is empty...
    It does not appear in the iOS version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmaynard,

I apologize for the confusion here. I think Pilar might be right - have you recently upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 perhaps? We made some significant changes to how data was organized when we re-built 1Password for version 4. If you’re just upgrading from version 3 now, I can see how this could be a bit of a surprise.

1. a new category (identities) has been inserted but I do not want to use it. How can I delete/hide it?

Identities is one of the ‘primary’ categories of 1Password. It will appear in the sidebar of the Mac app, even if you don’t have any items in it. Primary categories are Logins, Identities, Credit Cards, and Secure Notes. We consider them ‘primary’ because they’re some of the more powerful categories in 1Password. Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards can all be filled in on web forms, and Secure Notes are a great place to add any details that don’t fit into another pre-determined category. They’re a great place for new users to start with when they’re just setting up 1Password.

The Identities category is very useful for filling in forms like billing and shipping addresses. I have Identities saved for my home and office addresses, as well as one for my niece so that I can spoil her rotten and easily send her gifts without having to remember or type her address.

Pilar’s suggestion to delete the items in a category to hide it from the sidebar will work for all secondary categories though.

I hope this helps to clarify things, if you have any further questions about 1Password, please let us know!

• jmaynard
    jmaynard
    Community Member

I think it is sad that you have adopted the Microsoft method of assuming you know what is best for your users! Only your users know what categories etc work best for them. It is reasonable for your to devise an initial set of categories (or whatever) but to decide that some are must haves for every single user is just seriously over-ambitious. For example, I have no use for 'identities' and keep my 'software licenses' elsewhere; I use 1Password to record hardware serial numbers but cannot create a category for them (I know I can tag them but that is a workaround not a solution).
    1Password is a great piece of software but is downgraded (by me) from five stars because I am stuck with your view of the world (not surprisingly this is different from my view...).
    Please change your strategy!

• Hi @jmaynard ,

I must say, we do feel a bit blessed to have customers so passionate about 1Password and we truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know your opinion. The primary categories being always present facilitate the discovering of these features and the serial numbers category was renamed to reflect the most common use of the category. These changes have been well received by many of our customers, though I completely understand why they may not be appreciated by all. Unfortunately, sometimes features that benefit some users do not always benefit others.

That being said, software is ever-evolving, and we appreciate your feedback and promise to consider it when making changes to the future. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member

@Megan

You suggest that Secure Notes is good place for new users to start. That's exactly what I did almost four and a half years ago when I got on board with 1Password 3. Very flexible and a shallow learning curve. That's very useful to get started.

Somehow I had missed that Identities will fill in webforms. I learned something new and very useful today about 1Password. Thanks! I have only been using Logins and Credit cards to fill in forms.

@ag_kevin

Lots of things are serialized in some fashion. Automobiles and motorcycles have VIN numbers. Bicycles and firearms have serial numbers. Insurance policies have policy numbers. Real estate can get rather complicated with numbers (plots, plats & blocks)!

AgileBits has made the Secure Notes very flexible. What I would like to do in some future version of 1Password is this: let's say I have customized a Secure Note for a car I own. Lots of custom labels for things like make, model, style, name on title, registration and insurance information. I would then like to take that customized note and turn it into a category named Automobiles. Wouldn't that be neat! In the meantime, I'll make do with the Secure Notes as they are.

I am putting a lot of information into 1Password. All the numbers and lists of things that a 21st century citizen has to keep track of. All in one place, encrypted and (hopefully) secure. That's great. Back in the days of 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 we had some problems: various problems with sync, duplicated items, etc. I don't have to tell you about the various bugs your teams have had to deal with. But getting to version 6, AgileBits has evolved the software into something that feels very solid. I very rarely now have to mess with it. We just use it.

And I love the gnarly passwords that 1Password can generate and remember for me. Albeit some sites choke on them - lot's of terrible website programming out there.

I have made a living at various times troubleshooting computers. Fun puzzles to solve. But I am sick of it in my personal life; I just want the shit to work and not waste my time so much. (How can something that's 'soft' turn out to be so brittle? A discussion for another day at another forum . . .)

When I die, the executor of my estate will find a card in my safety deposit box. That card will have a list of three items: a Master Passphrase that unlocks 1Password and is also the passphrase for the administrator account on my Mac (the one of only two times I use a password in two places), the passphrase for my personal account on my Mac, and the passcode for my mobile devices (the other time I use a password in more than one place).

I think calling the software ONE password is a little over optimistic. But having access to all my devices and all my information with only three things to have memorized? That's awesome! As my partner says, "How did we ever live without 1Password?"

• jmaynard
    jmaynard
    Community Member

1Password is a great piece of software but will be so much better when then user gets to decide how to break down the categories etc.

Anyway, now that I have the attention of someone who does listen can I mention one small gripe:
    Using iPassword mini has an annoying glitch: when I navigate to a sub-category it is an automatic reaction to click on the entry I want (just like I would do in ANY other piece of software); I then remember that iPassword mini works differently and I only have to highlight the item for it to open (the 10 to 30 seconds a day I waste because of this isn't the issue but it is annoying!). can we please have an option to disable this action?
    cheers

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichBT,

I’m glad my answer helped! We’re happy to chat more about Categories and all the things if you have more questions. :)

Hi @jmaynard,

Thanks so much for the feedback here! I’ll pass your thoughts along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.