Confusion Regarding Apps/Accounts/Licenses

cagilber
cagilber
Community Member

I have some confusion regarding the Apps/Accounts/Licenses that I was hoping to get some clarification on. I'll start with my 1password background.

I started off with just the iPhone app upgraded to the Pro version. I was syncing the Primary vault via iCloud to my iPad which also had the Pro version.

Yesterday, I saw the "free for 6 months" offer on your website and signed up for an actual 1password account. I also downloaded the OS X application from your website and paid the $64.99 for a single license. I have now signed into my 1password account across all devices.

I could not figure out how to sync to iCloud with the OS X application, so I moved all the saved information in my Primary vault to my Personal vault saved on my account. I now have all my saved information synced across devices using the Personal vault and 1password account.

My question is....If I paid $64.99 for the OS X license, do I need to do anything once my 6 months is up? If I'm OK using just iCloud to sync across all my devices (1 OS X and 2 iOS devices), did I need to purchase the $65 license or do I need to pay for the monthly fee?

1Password Version: 1password 6 (OSX), 1password Pro (iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cagilber,

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here! Let’s see if I can help to clear things up.

There are currently two different ways to purchase and use 1Password:

Standalone licenses

• You can purchase a license for 1Password to use on your desktops via the AgileBits Store.
    • This license is good for the current version of 1Password and includes all in-version updates.
    • With the standalone licenses you can control where your data is stored: your data never leaves your computer unless you choose to sync using a third-party service like Dropbox, iCloud, or Wi-Fi.

1Password accounts

• Sign up for an account at 1Password.com, or take advantage of 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams to share data among your family or team.
    • Your subscription fee includes all of the 1Password apps, and all updates and upgrades are included as long as your account is active.
    • With the subscription service, sync is handled by the server, so there’s no need to set up third-party sync: your data is available to you on any device simply by signing into your 1Password account in the app.
    • Web access to your database (and some other pretty great features) are also included.

So, it is up to you how you wish to proceed.

If you prefer to continue using iCloud to sync your data between your devices, you can simply remove your 1Password account from the 1Password apps and let the trial period lapse. (Or we could delete your account for you.)

If the features that come with the 1Password accounts sound appealing to you, we can refund your license purchase (since it was made in the last 30 days) and you can move your data back into the accounts vaults. To ensure everything continues smoothly, you’ll just want to add your credit card to the 1Password account before the 6 month trial expires.

Does this help? If you have any more questions about either the standalone licenses or our new accounts, please don’t hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.