Why is my password generator recipe preference not saved in my vault and sync'd to all devices?

Options

I use iOS, macOS, and Windows, including the chrome extension for both mac/windows. Every flavor works a little differently and it is extremely frustrating the the password generator user experience is _so_different b/w platforms. Recipe is different (not even the same options), user experience is different, website behavior is different.

Would really appreciate unifying the product experience between these platforms, starting with a universal set of rules for the password generator that 1) works the same way on every platform, and 2) has settings sync between platforms using my vault (I use dropbox sync'ing)

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4, Windows 8
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:password recipe

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jobead: Honestly, I don't think it's come up before. 1Password simply doesn't store preferences/settings in the vault. The vault is for data. It's an interesting idea though, but it's something that would need to be supported on all platforms...and from my own "passwording" experience, I'm not sure it would be terribly useful to most people.

I don't mean to be dismissive. In a perfect world, we'd be able to choose an arbitrarily long password length and symbols/digits and use these settings to generate all of our passwords, across all platforms, as you describe. But we don't live in a perfect world. Most sites have arbitrary restrictions for passwords, so the setting you choose on your Mac when saving a login for Site A may not even meet the criteria when trying to create a login for Site B on your PC.

But there are a lot of of cool things we'd like to do with the password generator in the future, and perhaps something similar would be useful, even if it isn't the panacea that you and I wish it could be. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• jobead
    jobead
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I'd give up my desire for the syncing if the user experience was consistent. Do you have any plans to make it consistent b/w platforms? Even using the Chrome extension on Windows vs. Mac feels like an entirely different piece of software.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jobead,

It's always on the wishlist but there's no point denying it, it's something we've been striving towards for some time with less than stellar success. With 1Password accounts we're now trying to become better at this but it will take time. 1Password 6 for Windows does this a little I believe and we'll hopefully see more convergence over all the platforms over time, at least where possible. Of course each will also acknowledge the style of the operating system they're on but that doesn't mean we can't try to have some level of uniformity. I'm not able to offer any sort of ETA though - sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.