Late to the migration discussion

GeneLand
GeneLand
Community Member

I purchased 1Password for Mac OS X and iOS on Apple App stores a couple of years ago and love them. Currently running version 6.3.1 on Mac. Today I received an update notice from the Mac App Store. The documentation for the update mentions the new subscription pricing for 1Password. I haven't been following the transition to a subscription model. Can you direct me to a comparison of the features of the standalone version versus the subscription model? Can I continue to use the standalone version? Will the standalone version continue to be supported in the future? If I update 1Password through the Mac App Store will I be updated to a subscription version of the software?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @GeneLand , great to hear that you love 1Password. Perhaps I can address your questions, starting from the bottom:

If I update 1Password through the Mac App Store will I be updated to a subscription version of the software?

1Password for Families, Teams and the new Single User accounts are optional, you will not be automatically updated to any of them.

Can I continue to use the standalone version? Will the standalone version continue to be supported in the future?

You can continue to use the 1Password standalone app for as long as you please. There are no [current] plans to discontinue the app.
    The 1Password Accounts are an extension of your current standalone version.

Can you direct me to a comparison of the features of the standalone version versus the subscription model?

As far as I know, a comparison chart of the features of 1Password Standalone and 1Password Accounts is sadly missing. However, there is a comparison between the Accounts here.
    You may rest assured that the subscription versions do everything that your current 1Password app does and more. In the long-run, the subscriptions even work out cheaper than your current version, as apps for all platforms (Mac/IOS/Android/Windows) are included at no extra price and all updates are free.

I hope this covers your questions, but don't hesitate to ask further …

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• GeneLand
    GeneLand
    Community Member

@rjh
    Thank you for your helpful replies to my questions. I think for now I will stay with the standalone version of 1Password but that may change in the future when AgileBits requires a paid upgrade. Again, I appreciate your help with understanding the options for the standalone versus subscription versions. I wish AgileBits would make it a little easier to understand the options available to existing customers that own the standalone versions.

-Gene

• Hi @GeneLand ,

It is our plan to support all of our customers, whether they prefer subscription or licensing.

To answer your question on the difference, and the one of the reasons for subscription pricing, is because we run our own server that gives us the ability to offer more features. Running servers have ongoing costs and thus the subscription model makes sense. If you're happy syncing your data using WiFi, iCloud, or Dropbox, a licensing model makes sense there.

Because we operate the server, we can do a few extra things previously not possible:
    1. Ease of setup - just sign in to your account and it automatically populates - no signing into iCloud or Dropbox
    2. Increased security. Read https://1password.com/security for details, especially the link to the white paper at the bottom. But to summarize, the account key, and technologies such as SRP provide increased security for your data, and we at AgileBits still can not read your data.
    3. Fast sync - because we can optimize the protocol, sync is incredibly fast and efficient.
    4. On Teams and Families we can offer item sharing, guests, permissions on vaults, account recovery and more.
    5. A more efficient document storage model.

We are working on improving the web site to better explain the differences. The challenge of course, is not to inundate new customers with too much information and choices. We'll take the time to do it right so that it's informative to all.

Those are just a few. But if those features are not necessary for your workflow today, that's perfectly fine. We'll support you either way and we plan on continuing to improve 1Password for both license and subscription customers.

Regards,
    Kevin

• GeneLand
    GeneLand
    Community Member

@ag_kevin
    Thank you for your additional responses. Glad to hear that AgileBits will continue to support the licensing version. I think this makes the most sense for me now since I sync through iCloud and don't have need for the Family or Team sharing features.
    -Gene

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Gene ( @GeneLand ),

Thanks so much for the feedback! I’m glad that the responses above helped. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything else you’d like to know about 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.