Baffled by the setup process!??!

bythecshore
bythecshore
Community Member

I'm trying to get going with 1password but am baffled by the setup process. I signed up, created a master password, and am trying to use it.

It is now asking me to scan a QR code which I have no idea of where it is, and enter a master key, also of which I have no knowledge.

It keeps asking me if I'm a family or team... I'm neither, just one guy trying to use this supposedly easy-to-use app. I've been trying for almost an hour and am getting nowhere.

Help!

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: no idea
OS Version: OS x 10.11.6
Sync Type: I didn't get this far yet
Referrer: forum-search:Baffled by the setup process!??!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bythecshore,

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here! If you signed up for a 1Password account, then the information that you need to set up the 1Password app should be stored in your Emergency Kit. Do you recall saving this during your sign up process?

The Emergency Kit will have a QR code to help you easily set up 1Password, and it will also include your Account Key, which you need in combination with your Master Password to authorize the 1Password app.

• bythecshore
    bythecshore
    Community Member

I don't recall getting this. Where would it be?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bythecshore,

Downloading the Emergency Kit is recommended during the setup process, but if you haven’t downloaded it we don’t save it to your system automatically. If you can log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com, you should be able to access it there.

• bythecshore
    bythecshore
    Community Member

Is there someone I can talk to to figure this out?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bythecshore,

I’m sorry that you’re feeling frustrated. If our conversation here isn’t helping, you’re welcome to send a message in to our team at support@1password.com.

• bythecshore
    bythecshore
    Community Member

OK, it says I don't have an account.

So I'll sign up again. Should I sign up for Teams, Families or purchase a license for 1Password? I'm just one person, so what's the appropriate option?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bythecshore,

I would suggest signing up for the individual account if you don’t need to share any data with family members or coworkers. You can sign up here - just select the 2.99 plan and take advantage of 6 months free!

Just make sure that you save your Emergency Kit when prompted, and setting up the 1Password app should be a breeze! There are instructions here that will help you set up the app (just ignore the second part that talks about importing your other 1Password data).

I hope this helps, but we’re here for you if you have any further questions. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

This discussion has been closed.