Sync iPhone 6 to Mac El Capitan

xyzsail
xyzsail
Community Member

I used to be able to do wireless sync between my phone and Mac. I just had to have both apps open. Now, with your improvements, it seems like you made it harder, not easier! I don't want to put my info in the cloud anywhere. I JUST want to sync phone to mac. Period.

How do I do this now? When I have my phone and mac apps open, I go to Window; Wi-Fi Sync, and click the Sync icon at the top. It says "This Mac is set up to run a 1Password Wi-Fi server which includes syncing of this vault to iOS devices. You can change this in the Wi-Fi Server preferences." Then "Also sync Primary vault with None"

this sound exactly like what I want to do, but it doesn't sync.

What's wrong?

Thanks, Pat

1Password Version: iOS 6.4.4, Mac 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: WiFi ONLY

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Pat ( @xyzsail ),

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password. Could you tell me a little bit more about where you’re seeing this message? Here’s what I see after using Window > Wi-Fi Sync:

Are you switching from the ‘WLAN Server’ pane to the ‘Sync' pane? Everything you need for Wi-Fi sync should be on the WLAN Server pane. :)

• xyzsail
    xyzsail
    Community Member

Here's what I see: <oops, well I guess I can't show you because this pane doesn't let me paste images in.>

The icons across the top in my pane are the same as yours, except I show "Wi-Fi server" where yours shows "WLAN server."

With Wi-Fi Server selected, there is a series of letters "grerp e ob chi w" in the box and below that it says "Choose which vaults to include when syncing over Wi-Fi" similar to yours. I only have my primary vault selected. (it's grayed out, but checked like yours above.)

Then when I then click the sync icon next to my Wi-Fi icon (like the one next to your WLAN icon), I get another pane that says "This Mac is set up to run a 1Password Wi-Fi server which includes syncing of this vault to iOS devices. You can change this in the Wi-Fi Server preferences." and below that it says "Primary vault with None." Where the "None" is, it's a drop down that also has iCloud, dropbox, and Folder, but as I said, I don't want my info on dropbox or iCloud (so I think the settings are as I want them to be, but it does NOT sync my iphone and Mac.

Thanks, Pat

• xyzsail
    xyzsail
    Community Member

and I just checked for updates, and see that there is an update from 6.3.1 to 6.3.2, which mentions the WLAN change.

I haven't installed this yet since we're in the middle of this. Let me know if I should install before we go further....

Thanks, Pat

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Pat ( @xyzsail ),

The update to 6.3.2 shouldn’t have much of an effect on this process (except that it will make your screen match mine a bit more closely - the renaming of Wi-Fi to WLAN, for example). But it also won’t hurt if you hold off on updating until we have this sorted.

Now, it sounds like you’ve got everything set up correctly. I think where we’re getting tangled up is the switching to the ‘Sync’ tab. All the details that you need for Wi-Fi (WLAN) sync are in that one pane that I took a screenshot of, there’s no need to go to the ‘Sync’ tab at all.

Once you have sync set up on your Mac, the next step is to share that series of letters with your iOS device. We’ve got a short article in our support pages with the steps to follow:

How to use the WLAN server, iOS

• xyzsail
    xyzsail
    Community Member

hmmm, ok, that worked. I THOUGHT I had been able to sync "from" my mac (using the sync icon in Preferences on Mac), but maybe I'd always started the sync from my phone after opening the Wi-Fi window on my Mac. Old age.....So, thanks, I'm synched now.

But I am confused because I thought that sync would take the most recent info (from either phone OR Mac) and "step on" the older info on the other device. But what happened was that I now have both old (obsolete) info on some logins PLUS the newer updated info. That can be confusing.

For instance, I knew I had replaced some security questions on a particular login on my mac, and after the sync, instead of the new info replacing the questions on that login on my phone, now I have both the old questions AND the new questions for that login on BOTH phone and Mac! (Like: Mac says Pet name is Rover and phone says Pet name is Spot; now for that login, I have "Pet name is Rover" and below that "Pet name is Spot"...

is that how you would expect the update to work? If so, it sounds like I need to do a visual sync and delete the obsolete information from both places manually, or the next time I sync it will just copy over the old info that I do't want!

Thanks, Pat

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xyzsail,

Glad to hear WLAN/Wi-Fi sync is working again! Sorry to hear some of your data didn't sync as expected though.

I thought that sync would take the most recent info (from either phone OR Mac) and "step on" the older info on the other device.

You're absolutely correct - that's how it should normally work. But it sounds like that's not what happened:

I now have both old (obsolete) info on some logins PLUS the newer updated info.

That certainly shouldn't have happened, so it sounds like something went wrong. By any chance have you been disabling/re-enabling WLAN/Wi-Fi sync on your Mac and/or iPhone? Normally that shouldn't be a problem. However, disabling WLAN/Wi-Fi sync removes a bunch of context data which is used to sync your 1Password data. That context data is re-created when you set up WLAN/Wi-Fi sync again, but all your data in 1Password must go through full conflict resolution - every field of every item in your vault has to be verified in order to determine which data to keep, in case there have been changes.

Like I said, that shouldn't normally be a problem, but if for some reason 1Password is unable to determine which data is "correct" (i.e. the data on your Mac or the data on your iPhone) it will keep both in order to make sure you don't lose anything important. That might explain what happened in your case, although I don't know for sure.

If you go through your vault and edit the affected items to get rid of the older data, that should take care of things, and that shouldn't happen again. But that might be very time-consuming if we're talking about a lot of items you'd have to manually edit. In that case, before this happened, did you have all your latest data in 1Password on your Mac? Or did your Mac and iPhone each have newer data that was missing from the other? If the latest data was all on your Mac, you might be able to restore from a backup and then sync that to your iPhone. Let us know, and we'll be happy to help you with that.

• xyzsail
    xyzsail
    Community Member

I wonder if it's related to the software change (from WiFi to WLAN)? I'm still on the older software version as stated above, and when I synched it THE RIGHT WAY (hah!) I noticed that the sync on the phone said something like "last sync NEVER" or "last WLAN sync NEVER" - That might explain why it acted kind of funky. . . with the new version that now calls it WLAN, it thought it was the first sync so saved everything?

I've gone through the items that I know I've added or edited recently and verified them. Most were ok, although one logon had 3 urls in the iOS entry and only two of them in the Mac entry.

To answer your question about enabling/disabling sync...I normally don't switch that off/on, but since it doesn't (or didn't before, maybe it does now?) sync unless the pane is open (Window; Wi-Fi Sync,) maybe it toggles itself off?

I'm generally pretty happy with 1Password and have recommended it to friends, but just sometimes it just acts a little hinky, which gets frustrating when normally it just WORKS. ;-)

Thanks to you and your colleague, Megan!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion! The software didn't change; only the name did. I'm sorry that 1Password didn't "just work" for you for a bit there, but I'm glad to hear that all is well again. On behalf of Megan and Drew, you're most welcome. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.