Main Window takes focus and comes to the foreground after unlocking

teancom
teancom
Community Member

Which is annoying, if I'm unlocking using option-command-\ to grab a password for the terminal or an app. The workflow then becomes:
o-c-\ -> passphrase into the mini-popup -> main window unlocks in the background -> then main window pops in front -> command-tab -> o-c-\ -> find the password I want in the mini-popup -> ctrl-c -> ctrl-v.

Previously, it would be:
o-c-\ -> passphrase into the mini-popup -> main window unlocks in the background -> find the password I want in the mini-popup -> ctrl-c -> ctrl-v

(which was great).

I recently switched laptops and reinstalled everything from scratch, so this might be a setting that I had set long ago and forgotten about, but I can't find anything in 1Password's settings screen that looks applicable, nor can I find anything in the main OS X's prefpanes. But as always, I'm happy to be proven wrong :-)

David

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G31)
Sync Type: iCloud + Dropbox + 1Password for Families

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teancom,

Sorry to hear the main app window keeps launching & coming to the foreground when you're simply trying to use mini! That shouldn't happen, and I'm sure we can help to figure out what's going on.

I can't find anything in 1Password's settings screen that looks applicable

The only setting I can think of that would be related to this is 1Password > Preferences > General > Always keep 1Password mini running. That should be enabled - but even if it isn't, I'm not sure that would explain the problem. However, if it's currently disabled, please enable it just to see if it makes any difference.

If it's still a problem with that setting enabled, try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If that doesn't help, try rebooting your Mac. Does that help at all, or does the same thing still happen?

You should also install the latest update for 1Password (6.3.2) which we released this week. If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, just launch the Mac App Store and install the latest 1Password update from the Updates tab.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

• teancom
    teancom
    Community Member

The App Store doesn't show an update for me (stupid App store). This has survived reboots. I have the setting checked. I tried restarting the mini to no avail. And just to clarify, it's not that the main window is 'launching'. It's always launched, from when I login. It just does the 'unlocking' animation and then pops to the foreground and steals focus. I took a screen capture video of my desktop showing what I mean, but apparently I'm not allowed to upload it to the forum. I'll try and put it somewhere else and link to it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@teancom: Sorry for the inconvenience! The forum software only supports images (and frankly, that's probably for the best in many cases). If you prefer, you can also send it via email to support+forums@agilebits.com — just be sure to include a link to this discussion for context. Thanks in advance! :)

• ccutrer
    ccutrer
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing, right after a fresh install of everything on a new laptop. I have 1Password mini always running checked.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ccutrer,

That's very strange, and I'm sorry you're also having this odd problem! Thanks for checking on that setting in the 1Password preferences. If you haven't already done so, please open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After that, does the same problem happen? If so, reboot your Mac to see if that helps.

If the same problem still happens after that, let us know. Thanks! :)

• ccutrer
    ccutrer
    Community Member

I did the restart, and it didn't help. But after a reboot (first one on this laptop!), it's fixed. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad the reboot took care of the problem - thanks for letting us know. We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.