Copy to clipboard before filling doesn’t work, nor does the password update feature

hbalan
hbalan
Community Member

The "Copy to clipboard before filling” feature doesn’t work. I have the “delete after 90 seconds” box unchecked. Every time I update a password I have to write down the new password and then manually keystroke it into the my 1Password file. Which brings me to another issue: the update password feature doesn’t work on every site either. The rest of 1Password works normally.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hbalan,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the password generator and with updating your passwords! I'm sure we can figure out what's going on and get things working correctly.

If you go to 1Password mini > Password Generator and click the ▼ button next to 'Fill', is there a check mark next to the "Copy to Clipboard Before Filling” option? If not, select that option and click the arrow again - now it should show a check mark (if there's no check mark there, that option is disabled).

If that option is already enabled, can you please describe the exact steps you're taking to use the password generator? For example, are you trying to change a password on a website, and is your web browser the active app on your Mac when you open 1Password mini? (Or are you using the password generator by clicking the 1Password extension button in your browser's toolbar?) After generating the password, do you click the 'Fill' button, or do you click the ▼ button and then click 'Copy', or do you highlight the generated password and copy it via ⌘C or a menu option?

Once we know a few more details, we should have a better idea where to go from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• hbalan
    hbalan
    Community Member

"After generating the password, do you click the 'Fill' button, or do you click the ▼ button and then click 'Copy', or do you highlight the generated password and copy it via ⌘C or a menu option?”

If I click “Fill” it will fill, but not copy and so then I have to highlight/copy > paste that somewhere else > open the 1Password panel for that site > select “edit” > copy from my notes > paste into the 1Password panel. The rest of the process you are asking about is not the problem; I’m doing all those things correctly.

• Hi @hbalan,

Right before you fill, can you click the ▼, and check to see if "Copy to Clipboard Before Filling" is checked? I've attached a screenshot.

If it's not checked it will not copy. Also, you mentioned that you have to write it down and manually enter it into 1Password. This shouldn't be the case. Whenever you press Copy or Fill in the Password Generator, 1Password will save a copy of that in 1Password. After copying or filling, open the main 1Password and look in the "Passwords" category. If you have more than one vault, it may have saved it in another vault, according to the "Vault for Saving" preference in the "All Vaults" section of the Preferences.

Please let us know how the above works out, and we can proceed from there.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.