It's nice to have a forum that supports old versions

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Lounge

Unfortunately, 1Password, with the march of time, with the Mac OS going from PowerPC to Intel, from 32bit to 64bit, to Windows, iOS, Android, What support is there if the outstanding bugs were never fixed going to the next versions?

There always had been some issue somewhere. Thankfully, 1Password 4.5 for iOS, for anyone had purchased it, was given a free Pro upgrade from 1Password 5 and then 1Password 6.

1Password 2, which I still have on an old Mac, is for all intents and purposes dead. I would not connect it to the internet anyway, which means subscriptions are out of the question and it wouldn't work as well.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately, 1Password, with the march of time, with the Mac OS going from PowerPC to Intel, from 32bit to 64bit, to Windows, iOS, Android, What support is there if the outstanding bugs were never fixed going to the next versions?

@wkleem: Oh man...PowerPC. I remember my first PowerBook! Nostalgic. :blush:

While we're here to help any AgileBits customers, you're right that over time saying "we support 1Password v2" doesn't mean as much as it did when we still had working Macs running OS X Tiger. Mercifully, both for us from a support perspective and for customers from an "OMG this thing is so slow" perspective, this tends to work itself out as hardware ages and eventually dies. The circle of life and all that.

While we don't generally continue active development on legacy versions, we have in the past (and likely will in the future) patch critical issues. But much like a late OS point release, by the time we move to a new major version in earnest, it's had a lot of time to mature. Everyone's used to it and the problems have been addressed in its natural -life- development cycle.

But legacy versions will almost certainly not get new features. That's practical from a development standpoint and from a business standpoint, since most users move to the new version and would (rightly) be miffed if we spent our time improving the previous release instead of the one they (probably) just paid for.

But we're always happy to help in any way we can, whether that means answering questions or otherwise. And one of the cool things about having separate browser extensions is that updates there can often benefit multiple versions of 1Password, not just multiple platforms. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Brent, although I have a hard time understanding that there are still some who want to run 1Password 3 on El Capitan Macs? Wow! :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, there's something to be said for "if it ain't broke"...but unfortunately El Capitan broke some things in 1Password 3. It had a good long run though!

This discussion has been closed.