Trouble importing OSX Keychain .1PIF file

dreynolds1119
dreynolds1119
Community Member

Hello,

I've referenced other help articles on the subject and followed the import instructions to the detail. When I export a .txt file, use the apple script helper to convert the file to .1pif. Then when i import .1pif file into 1Password (6.3.2), I get an error that says "Could not read items from file. Check import format."

I am completely stuck, have been troubleshooting and reading through support articles with no change. I'm not proficient in script/code, so there could be something wrong with my export files, but i've tried to be very detailed in following the instructions.

Any ideas or tidbits I could share that would help me get some help?

Thanks!
Daniel

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: nothing yet

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@dreynolds1119 ,

Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite thread.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Daniel ( @dreynolds1119 ),

Please let me know if the test version that MrC shared has gotten you sorted out - I hope that it has helped you get all your data into 1Password. :)

• dreynolds1119
    dreynolds1119
    Community Member

This helped, thank you. I apologize for the redundancy of work! Just kept coming up to the same older iterations of conversion help threads.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dreynolds1119

I'm glad to hear that it helped you! Never hesitate to ask us any question you might have, we're always here for you and happy to help! :chuffed:

• durrant23
    durrant23
    Community Member

Hi,

I have also had issues converting/importing my login credential from Keychain. Initially i was having the same problem mentioned by dreynolds1119 above, but then using the1.09 version linked to by MrC, this appeared to solve the problem.

However, after the file successfully imports, it only shows 22 items as having imported. This is far fewer than the entries in my keychain (and indeed many don't appear when searching for them in 1Password thereafter).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I can actually move logins to 1Password manually by going to each site, auto-filling with Safari and then choosing to save to 1Passwords. However this is quite laborious, and it will take me an age to go through all my accounts (particularly as I have to scroll through a list in Safari preferences > passwords to even remember what all my accounts are, as I wish to change all their passwords).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @durrant23,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I'm hoping @MrC might have an idea of what might have gone wrong with the export/import. But while we're waiting for him, I had an idea for something you can check:

Assuming you still have the .1pif file, try opening that in a text editor (like TextEdit). Although a .1pif file isn't very easy to read, you should be able to look through it and see which items are there. Can you confirm that it has other items which were not imported to 1Password? Or does it seem to only contain the 22 items that were imported?

If that .1pif file contains just the 22 items that were imported into 1Password, it sounds like the import process actually worked correctly, and perhaps not all your data exported correctly from the OS X Keychain. On the other hand, if the .1pif file has items that didn't import into 1Password, then there could have been a problem with the import process, or perhaps there's some sort of formatting issue in the .1pif file.

Thanks in advance! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2017

Hi @durrant23 ,

If you use the Keychain Access, do you see the entries in your local login keychain?

If not, then perhaps they entries are actually stored in the iCloud keychain, which you'd have to export and then import as a local keychain into Keychain Access.

If you do see them inside the login keychain, then we can enable debugging for the converter to see why it is skipping those items. After you've confirmed the above, we'll go to the next steps...

This discussion has been closed.