Sync via Dropbox with Data Loss, no indication of how bad, how to debug?

shevett
shevett
Community Member

Hi folks, very scared / frustrated here, please help if you can.

I had been using 1password on my work laptop for several years, using a Personal vault for my personal passwords. Syncing between my work laptop and my phone had been working perfectly.

I left my old job and wiped that machine, powered up my old Macbook at home, and re-enabled syncing. There was a very old version of 1password, so I upgraded it to 1password 6, and it LOOKED like things were synced and updated. Dropbox syncing was showing changes, and we seemed okay.

However, I'm constantly finding entries on my Mac that are not updated, showing a 'last updated' timestamp of several years ago, while on my phone, I see a current / updated entry.

Some things are syncing, some are not, and I'm extremely worried that the updated entries are going to get overwritten with old data.

How can I make sure the sync is working properly?

On my mac I see updates and the directory in Dropbox is being updated:
yacht:Dropbox dbs$ ls -lt | head
total 1089256
drwxr-xr-x@ 7 dbs staff 238 Aug 14 09:16 1Password.agilekeychain

In 1password, sync is enabled and is showing running:
https://www.evernote.com/l/AKrvBFyDYZZES4_pC28kMDXqQUw5puYeRyw

This is the first time I've gotten worried that syncing is not stable and is not actully updating my information. I have always assumed that if it says "Last synced" and has a current time, then everything was up to date. That's clearly not happening, as I can see a disparity in my phone vs my Mac. Please help me restore confidence in Dropbox syncing.

-d

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:synced entries are not updated

Comments

• chasan
    chasan
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

sorry to hear about your problems
    i too have had issues in the past that have now again reappeared
    where the syncing via dropbox is not accurate//identical accross a number of computers and phones

my thread is titled
    how to remove duplicate category ..1Password Version 6.2
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62524/how-to-remove-duplicate-category-1password-version-6-2#latest

i look forward to hearing more about how things can be repaired for your situation and mine
    the team of people from 1password i have found to be very attentive to finding solutions

jim

• Hi @shevett ,

It sounds like your Mac is trying to sync to a different file on Dropbox, than what your phone is syncing to, assuming that your phone is running an up-to-date version of 1Password. We did recently fix an issue on the iPhone version where it sometimes didn't upload a change to Dropbox.

To restore syncing to your Mac, what I recommend doing is to check the contents of your iPhone. Does everything look up-to-date? If so, then let's reset the data on the Mac. If your iPhone is not up-to-date, do not do the following steps and let us know.

1. Lock 1Password if it is not locked already. Then, go to the Help menu and choose Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.
    2. After it resets the data, open 1Password again and choose the option to restore your data from Dropbox.
    3. When asked, enter your Master Password (the one you use on your iPhone) and it should pull all of the items down and sync with Dropbox from here on out.

If you find it still doesn't, check to make sure the Dropbox client software is running on your Mac, and you are logged into your Dropbox account.

If you have any questions on the above or you run into trouble, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.