On my MacBook Pro as an icon I have 1Password 3.8.22 on my Dock. I just updated to 1Password 6 (6.3

BobJoyner
BobJoyner
Community Member

On my MacBook Pro I have 1Password 3.8.22 as an icon on my Dock. I just updated to 1Password 6 (6.3.2). Both "1 Password" and "1 Password 6" are in my Applications Folder. How do I replace the 1PW3 icon on my Dock with the 1PW6 icon? I am concerned about loosing all my stored passwords.

Thank you

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BobJoyner

It's great to hear that you're using the brand new 1Password now! I think you'll really enjoy it. If you only want to have easier access to 1Password 6, you only need to right click on the 1Password icon, go to Options and then check "Keep in dock". To get rid of 1Password 3 on the dock do the same, but uncheck "Keep in dock" instead.

However, if what you want is to completely uninstall 1Password 3 then it's a bit more tricky. To be sure everything goes well, could you please confirm that all your data is available on 1Password 6?

Please let us know how this turns out and how you want to go forward with this :chuffed:

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @BobJoyner , Good to see you've decided to update your 1Password!
    You can easily remove the 3.8 Icon from the dock by dragging it with the mouse onto the desktop where it disintegrate.
    You can drag the new app into the dock to replace it, if you wish, or — after starting the new 1Password app, you can long-click its Icon and choose Options > Keep in dock.

You can drag your old 1Password app to the trash without fear of losing any items from your 1Password database, however DO NOT use an uninstaller app such as AppCleaner, AppZapper, CleanApp, or other similar apps, as these would also delete your data.

I hope this helps, but if you require further advice, please don't hesitate to enquire.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BobJoyner,

I hope the answers from Pilar and rjh were helpful for you! I just wanted to reiterate that the icons in your Dock are just shortcuts to apps on your Mac. Removing an icon from your Dock deletes the shortcut, but not the actual app file or the data stored in that app. The actual apps are (normally) stored in the Applications folder on your Mac.

And as rjh mentioned, even if you drag the actual 1Password app from Applications to the Trash (and assuming you don't use an app cleaning utility to do that), all the data you store in 1Password will still be on your Mac - you'd only be deleting the app file, not the data. The app file can be re-downloaded at any time.

Please let us know if you have more questions about that. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.