Why can't 1P Safari extension fill in for https://www.ufcu.org?

For some reason, the 1P Safari extension is incapable of filling in my login/password combo for this web site. I've reported this directly through the extension several times, but have yet to see an improvement

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @odysseus

I'm sorry that 1Password doesn't behave nicely with this site for you. I'm going to move your thread to our "Saving and filling in browsers category" so the right people will be able to see it. Meanwhile, can you please give us some details about your configuration like your OS and what version of 1Password you are using as well as which version of Safari and of the extension you have installed? This will help us pin point the problem better :chuffed:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

I have the latest version of everything.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @odysseus,

I'm not a customer there so I have no account and thus no real credentials to test with. My test with fake details though seemed to work fine in filling the login form on the main page at https://www.ufcu.org.

To ensure we're testing the correct configuration though we need to learn more details.

1. The URL for the login form you want to fill. I may be trying to fill the correct one or that site might have multiple (and different) login pages. Making sure I'm testing the login page you need to fill is definitely step one.
    2. Precisely what fields fill and what fields don't.
    3. Specific version numbers. If you happened to be running OS X Mavericks then 1Password 4 for Mac will tell you you're up to date because you can't run 1Password 5 or 6. Maybe you're running an old version of the extension because you believe Safari is auto-updating but it isn't. There are multiple factors and we won't now for sure until we know the following:
    • Version of OS X.
    • Version of Safari (tied to OS X but saves us trying to work backwards)
    • Version of 1Password for Mac.
    • Version of the 1Password Safari Extension.

We're happy to help. I spend my entire day around the extension either helping or fixing when a report leads to a confirmed bug. The most important factor are the details - if we're testing the wrong thing at all we may never see the same results. That's why troubleshooting in general almost always started with what platform and what versions.

I've made the assumption that you're referring to a Mac when you say Safari but equally you could be talking about iOS. If I'm correct then the good news is it seems like filling should work but we'll know better once we learn more about your setup :smile:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Latest versions of everything.

No fields are being filled.

URL is https://www.ufcu.org. I'm using 1P for Mac.

Even if I fill in the login and password manually, and then use the gear icon to update the 1P entry for UFCU, it won't fill in the login/password fields the next time.

It can't be an extension conflict, because I'm seeing the exact same behavior in Chrome!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Perhaps Agile tech support personnel could make sure that they're not using beta software before they try to reproduce issues? I kept having problems until I installed 6.5 beta 14.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus: I'm a bit confused about your beta comment since you seem to be using the beta version yourself. Are you saying you're able to fill it now using the beta? If so, that's great news! That's why they exist: so we can test new fixes quickly. Please let me know if that helped!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus,

I wasn't testing the beta although I do use it a lot for the obvious reasons. The version I tested was the Mac App Store one and is currently at 6.3.2. It saved and filled without issue for me - no beta required.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

That's just weird, @littlebobbytables. If you're sure that you weren't using the beta at the time, then there's something else going on as well, since, as I reported, I experienced the problem in both Safari and Chrome with the latest release version. I was using the AWS version, but there shouldn't be different behavior, shouldn't there?

When a tech support person reports that s/he can't reproduce a certain problem, the user is left in an uncomfortable situation: what to do now? It seemed like there was a long wait to get further help on the issue. Fortunately, I was able to reach @roustem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

lil bobby wasn't implying anything by saying he couldn't reproduce the issue. He simply couldn't given the available information, which is why he asked that you provide more details as a next step. It's possible that something was simply hung up, and that updating to the beta worked because it required a restart. Glad to hear it's working now. Be sure to reach out if you encounter any other issues!

ref: BRAIN-294

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @odysseus,

When I said filling worked for me, that was never going to be the end of the conversation - we don't work that way. Some times though discovering the core issue takes time and involves eliminating a number of variables.

Here's a real example from a couple of months ago. A person came to us with a filling issue that I couldn't replicate. We tried all sorts of things over numerous messages backwards and forwards until we discovered the cause was the person used the browser's zoom while I didn't. It took a while to reach that point but once we did we found that all important factor that differed between our tests. With this key piece of information I was able to reproduce and that led to a decent bug report that led to a solid change (in my opinion anyway) to the code that didn't just fix the specific issue but led to better behaviour in general.

It took time to reach that point but it was worth every minute spent trying to solve the puzzle because it resulted in better code.

When somebody reaches out to us for assistance we don't know anything about them. You could be a developer for Apple that knows OS X better than I ever will. You could be the other end of the spectrum, somebody who knows a computer well enough for the couple of tasks they need to do but other than that it's a black box. Why have I stated this? when somebody tells us everything is up to date it rarely offers the information you believe it does. It's possible you visited our changelog page, checked for all the latest version numbers and compared them to what you had and then reported back. You may have used the software's ability to check and it reported back that it was up to date. Here's the problem for us though. We can't see your system and we're completely reliant on what we learn from your answers. We've got users that still use 1Password 3 for Mac when running OS X 10.11. If they have version 3.8.22 it will report its up to date. If a user is running OS X 10.9 with 1Password 4 it will report its up to date because it can't update past 4.4.3 when running on Mavericks and we've had users where the Mac App Store reported 5.0.2 was up to date when we'd long shot by that version number. The same applies for certain circumstances with the extension.

When we ask for the version numbers it isn't because we're following some lame script and acting like drones. I've been on the receiving end of that sort of nonsense. I once reported to my ISP that my broadband speeds were notably slower than when I first started with them and one of the questions they asked in all seriousness was "was I sure my username and password were correct?" Given most ISPs don't give out a little broadband for partially correct login credentials I felt safe this was a pointless question. I possibly didn't need to write that but it still amazes me to this day. The reason why we ask for the version numbers is because experience has taught us the information is the best place to start and when we don't ask and make assumptions that it can and has bitten us. Unfortunately the phrase "bitten us" means we end up wasting some poor user's time with questions that don't relate to their setup because we didn't clarify the details. We get there at the end but it's a powerful reminder why these questions are important.

Regarding your question about differences between the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions. There can be differences, bugs present in the MAS version that aren't in the AgileBits Store one but I haven't personally seen them when it comes to filling and so far they've always been in that direction (in MAS, not in AWS). Sometimes sandboxing bites us but thankfully it's not too often.

We're here to help you. We're not simply employed to churn out responses, if any of us behaved like that there'd be a chat where we'd be asked if we love being here because that's one of the key factors for being at AgileBits. We need your help to help you though because tech support starts off in the dark to the issue and we rely on your answers to fill in the gaps. Hopefully something I've written explains why we do what we do and that should you need to reach out to us again for any reason that at the end of the support request you feel it's been constructive.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

For anyone else locating this thread, it seems this issue is with the 4.5.8 version of the 1Password extension. 1Password 4.5.9's betas and the 4.5.9 stable release will have this fix in place. Sorry for the trouble!

This discussion has been closed.