Undeleatable vaults?

peet1
peet1
Community Member

I just signed my business up for teams and my family up for family. I probably should have looked a little harder at the demo, but why on earth can I not delete or at least rename my Personal Vault. Now I've got two. I don't want two, I don't even want one vault called personal I'd like very much to remove them. How can I do so?

Please, Please, Please strive to keep your subscription product as flexible as the stand-alone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:delete shared, kb:undefined, kb-search:color, kb:undefined, kb-search:ring color

Comments

• Hi @peet1,

Thanks for the feedback. We do not currently have a way to delete the Personal vault which exists for each person. This is the only vault which cannot be shared, and grants the user the most privacy. That said, we may be able to offer such an option in the future.

Please, Please, Please strive to keep your subscription product as flexible as the stand-alone.

It is worth noting that the Primary vault cannot be removed when using the stand-alone product either, so in that regard the functionality is the same.

Thanks!

Ben

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member

@Ben Understood that the Primary vault cannot be deleted in the stand-alone product, but and this is a big BUT the stand-alone product is first and foremost an individual/personal product. Teams is first and foremost for, well, teams. Moreover, the Primary Vault can be shared as well as any other vault that's created. And in the stand-alone version of the product, I only have one-vault that I cannot delete, not one for every account.

Thanks.Peet

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

@Ben Understood that the Primary vault cannot be deleted in the stand-alone product, but and this is a big BUT the stand-alone product is first and foremost an individual/personal product. Teams is first and foremost for, well, teams.

@peet1: 1Password is for people. It can be used by people to share wishing their teams, families, etc., but we need to design for the user: an actual person. Teams will always be composed of actual persons, after all, and we want them to enjoy the experience. If we lose sight of that and then people won't enjoy 1Password and then no one will use it. :)

Moreover, the Primary Vault can be shared as well as any other vault that's created. And in the stand-alone version of the product, I only have one-vault that I cannot delete, not one for every account.

That's just not the case. You can delete the Primary vault in the standalone app. However, you cannot delete it if it is the only vault (then you'd have no vaults!), only if you're also using a 1Password Account (which will have its own vaults). And of course you'll only have a single Personal vault for a 1Password Account as well. I guess I don't understand why you'd want to delete both the Personal and Primary vaults. Using 1Password to share data is great, but do you really want to share everything? I certainly don't, and I haven't heard fro mothers that do, but I'd be interested to hear more about your use case. :)

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member

Well crap. I just spent 30 minutes writing a response. it was reasoned and clear. I'm not planning on re-writing it. Here are the highlights:

• Yes I want to be able to delete my personal vaults. I have a Team and Family account. I don't need two Personal Vaults.
    • I could even imagine not using a Personal vault in either Teams or Family account and simply use a local vault.
      I don't need vaults to be named for me ... though I've been holding my breath on this since the beginning. Primary is not what I would ever name a vault, neither is Personal.

• I could also imagine an employee using a Teams account not wanting to have any personal information attached to a Team account that I provide them. Of course it would be a safe place, but people are actual ... well ... "actual persons" and enjoy flexibility.

• I really love 1Password. I've spent money on it hand over fist. And enjoy using it. I'd just really wanted to see Teams/Families provide more, not less flexibility over the standalone product. Here I'm thinking folders, setting colors on vaults etc.
    • My hope is the "actual persons" will be a bit more front and center in the coming iterations of Teams/Families.

Just spent way too long writing and rewriting this.

• Thanks for the feedback, @peet1. Personal vaults are a core part of accounts, so I don't see them being deletable anytime soon, but I do appreciate the perspective. :)

I could also imagine an employee using a Teams account not wanting to have any personal information attached to a Team account that I provide them. Of course it would be a safe place, but people are actual ... well ... "actual persons" and enjoy flexibility.

In cases like this, we just recommend that they create their own account, either for themselves or their family. They will have two Personal vaults, but that's a good thing: The team one can be for personal items at work like their company email, Slack, and Basecamp accounts, and the individual/family one can be for their truly personal things like their email, credit cards, and Blizzard account. :pirate:

My hope is the "actual persons" will be a bit more front and center in the coming iterations of Teams/Families.

Well, we can only say so much. I hate ruining surprises, and we don't like to share stuff before it's ready because if we decide to change it a bit, there could be disappointment. And we change things a lot in development, as most teams do. Our release notes for the web app are public and available anytime you'd like to check those out, but as far as a public roadmap or features list goes that's just not something we'd like to do right now.

Hope that helps! Thanks for using 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.