WiFi Server

DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS
Community Member

Sorry. I was reminded by the search results, it's now WLAN Server ;)

Is there to regenerate a key? If not, why?

Does the WLAN Server run even when 1Password is not running?

Thanks again... :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

Thanks for your question!

Is there to regenerate a key?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - can you please elaborate on what you're trying to do or would like to know? Which "key" are you referring to?

Please also let us know which version(s) of 1Password you're asking about, as WLAN/Wi-Fi sync features can be different depending on that.

Thanks in advance! :)

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

@Drew_AG

Sorry for the poor grammar in my original post...

1Password
    Version 6.3.2 (632000)
    Mac App Store

In the menu bar, select:
    1. 1Password
    2. Preferences
    3. WLAN Server
    4. Click in the box for the option to: Run a WLAN Server from this Mac to sync with IOS and Android devices. A key will appear in the box below this option.

How do I regenerate/change this key to something other than the default?

Does the WLAN Server run when 1Password is not running? I believe the answer is no, but it would be nice to know if it's running somewhere in the background.

• @DCIFRTHS,

Thanks for writing in with your question.

There currently isn't a way to regenerate that shared secret.

the WLAN Server runs as long as our helper process "1Password mini" is running. This process also supports the little icon in the menubar and filling logins in web browsers.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Rudy

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member

HI @rudy

Based on your answer, the WLAN server is running when the helper process "1Password mini" is running.

1. I have tested to see if I can sync to an iOS device to the desktop version, and I can't if the WLAN box is disabled. I'm wondering why the WLAN server is tied to the same process as the WLAN server. Could this be a potential security issue?

2. I would like to request that ability to change the WLAN Key be considered for a future release. The main reason, for my request, is that if I decide that I don't want a specific device to sync with my desktop, it seems that the only way to accomplish this is to change the sync key. The second reason is that if the key is ever compromised, changing the key wold be the only way to ensure that a specific device can't sync.

3. Another request: Before a sync takes place, I would like to see a dialog that summarizes what is going to be changed when a sync takes place, and an option to approve or deny specific changes. It could be user configurable (turn option on or off) so that you don;'t add complexity to users that prefer simplicity.

• Hi @DCIFRTHS ,

1. To clarify on the WLAN server. When the checkbox is on, that tells the "1Password mini" process to run the WLAN server. If you uncheck it, 1Password mini shuts down the WLAN server. I don't believe there's a security issue here. The checkbox is merely to control whether you wish to sync over WiFi or not.
    2. You can regenerate the secret key by right-clicking on the key itself. Remember that it will de-auth all devices when you do that.
    3. It's an interesting request, but if you don't mind, may I ask why you want this? The purpose of sync is generally to make sure all devices have the same data. If you change an item on one device, it changes on all of your devices. Having different versions of an item on your different devices seems like it would be hard for you to keep track of, and defeats the purpose of sync.

I hope I've addressed your concerns. If you have further feedback (e.g. with point 3 above), or have other questions, feel free to reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin

You can regenerate the secret key by right-clicking on the key itself. Remember that it will de-auth all devices when you do that.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that information!

It's an interesting request, but if you don't mind, may I ask why you want this? The purpose of sync is generally to make sure all devices have the same data. If you change an item on one device, it changes on all of your devices. Having different versions of an item on your different devices seems like it would be hard for you to keep track of, and defeats the purpose of sync.

If I make an unintended change, which I have done in the past, I would like to know it before I sync. I am a klutz - what can I say? :|

Thank You,
    DCIFRTHS

• Hi @DCIFRTHS ,

Thanks for letting us know. FYI, we do store all password changes. I've you've changed the password on a login item, you will see a button that says "Show Previously Used Passwords." Clicking that will show the list of all passwords previously set for that login item. But I do understand how you may want to use that for other field data as well.

You also may be interested in knowing that our new subscription-based 1Password accounts do have Item history. They store all changes to items allowing you to revert to previous versions of the item if necessary. The server infrastructure made it quite a bit easier to implement it there, plus it comes in handy a lot for teams and families when there is more than one person using the same items. More information about that is available at https://1password.com

Cheers,
    Kevin

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member

@ag_kevin Thanks for the info. Regarding cloud password managers - I don't see me ever using one.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

We’re happy to offer WLAN sync for users such as yourself who prefer to keep their data locally. :) Please let us know if you have any further questions about 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.