Re-evaluate the "Enter your Master Password" text box

Milky
Milky
Community Member

Perhaps it might be time to re-evaluate the "Enter your Master Password" text box.

Circular dots serve as an indication of entry I guess but after 17 it serves no purpose.
I could be way off here but I know my 1password has always exceeded this limit at least twice over.

Is it not time to rid 1password of this archaic pastime or might it be considered to at least have an option to disable it?

Another form of indicator could be more advanced and scale to any size of 1password.

1Password Version: 6.5.Beta 14
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12 16A286a
Sync Type: 1password familes

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Milky

If I understand correctly, you would like to see something else than dots while typing your Master Password, is this correct? Given that we would not display the full Master Password, whatever we displayed would be repetition of one same character. I'm not sure how changing dots to asterisks or something like that would help. Did I miss something there? When you say "disable" it, do you mean you rather not know if anything's beefing written on the box? I think very often those dots are used to make sure the focus is actually on the box and you're not typing on the air, I'm not sure how not having and indicator at all would look like.

On the other hand, I think what you are suggesting is that the the dots become smaller as you type more and more characters, is this correct? Do you have some specific example of what you have in mind that you'd like to share with us?

I hope to hear back from you with your thoughts on this! :chuffed:

• Milky
    Milky
    Community Member

As an indicator for first responder on input, asterisks or any other would suffice, my suggestion was that after 17 characters it ceases to serve any purpose. If I had begun entering a password, then switched away and switched back; after 17 characters I would be non the wiser with regard to first responder selection or input confirmation..
    I'm not suggesting to change the character that reflects a keypress, I'm suggesting the text entry box be replaced with a different indicator all together.

As a locked 1password does not know how many characters to expect I supposed engineering this UI might be a challenge. What is absolutely certain though is the current solution is not scaling to todays strong password lengths >17.

I wouldn't want to loose the keyhole, being a key part of the 1password identity but maybe instead of a text entry box; you might animate the bezel around the keyhole. This serving the purpose of entry acknowledgement.

Another option might be to animate the keyhole itself whereby as more characters are entered the keyhole changes.

The more I think about it, the more I want you guys to bring this back now: -

This worked well, as after reaching the end of the text entry box, the dot's visually moved across thus still serving the purpose of entry confirmation.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Milky

Thank you for detailed answer. It's an interesting idea, and while I can't tell for sure what will happen with the UI of 1Password in the near future we love to hear your opinions and we take them into consideration :chuffed: Stay tuned in to see which path 1Password takes, I hope it's one that you like! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.