Option to disable saving passwords when only using generator

bgoossens
bgoossens
Community Member

I frequently use 1Password mini's password generator from my menu bar to quickly generate passwords or random strings that I don't want to save in 1Password itself. However, by default 1Password still saves these entries in my vault. However, I'd rather not store all these random strings but cannot seem to find an option to disable this behaviour. Am I overlooking it, or is this not possible as of this moment?

Thanks in advance!
Bjorn

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bgoossens,

Thanks for writing in to ask about this! No, you're not overlooking anything - it's not currently possible to disable that feature of the password generator.

A new Password item is created each time you use the password generator and click 'Fill' or 'Copy' (or if you manually highlight & copy the generated password). This serves as a safety net, so you don’t lose the new password if you forget to save it elsewhere. But if you generate lots of passwords that you don't intend to save in 1Password, I can see how you might not want all those Password items accumulating in your vault. Although I can't make any promises about whether or not we would add a setting to change that behavior, I can certainly let our developers know you're interested in that.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want to save your generated passwords in 1Password? It's not a requirement to save them there of course, but that's one of the main reasons why 1Password exists. :lol: We'd love to hear about your use case if you don't mind sharing!

• bgoossens
    bgoossens
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for your quick reply! Besides saving my passwords, I also found that the password generator came in quite handy when generating random strings to be used as for instance keys, hashes or salts. For instance, when configuring a Wordpress install I quite often use 1Password to generate the random keys for authentication. These don't necessarily need to be saved, they just need to be as random as possible. I previously used a separate program for that, but since the generator is integrated nicely in the menubar application, I have started to adopt this one instead.

I'd also like to mention that besides this minor thing, I absolutely love 1Password for the fact that it just works as it should as compared to alternatives. Keep up the good work, guys!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bgoossens

Thank you for your kind words and for giving us some more input on how you use the generator! It's really interesting to hear how useful the generator can be for you! 1Password saves those generated passwords under the idea of "better safe than sorry": while having to delete a useless entry is annoying, being locked out of an account is much bigger risk with worse consequences.

Stick around so you can see all the new things that we bring to 1Password as time goes by! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.